Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone good with computers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Darkie, May 3, 2008.

1. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

Anyone good with computers?

I haven't used my computer in a couple months until today. When I turned it on, it froze at the boot up screen (before windows) and did it repeatedly. I went into BIOS and messed with the settings and the only way I can get it to boot to windows and run is if I set the processor to 735 mhz. It also only recognized 512 mb of ram (I have one gig in it).

So all in all, I have a 2.2 ghz processor and a gig of ram, but it will only run at 735 hmz and 512 mb of ram and I dunno what to do to fix it/replace. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Re: Anyone good with computers?

From what I understand, when you power on the system, it completes POST (the hardware Power-On Self Test, which takes place before the OS begins to load), then hangs while trying to boot into Windows - is this correct? Then after lowering the CPU clock speed, you are able to boot normally.

I'd be interested to see whether, at the 2.2ghz speed, the system will boot properly into Windows Safe Mode (press f8 immediately after POST to get the boot menu). If it can boot to safe mode, then reboot and try a step-by-step confirmation from the boot menu (hit enter for yes at every step), and it will create a log file which you can look at later to see where the boot halted.

The fact that the BIOS only recognizes half the RAM may indicate a problem the the memory module(s). If you have two, you should probably try one at time and/or swap slots, at the 2.2ghz CPU setting.

It will also help if you can post which version of Windows you are running.

3. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

Yea, before clocking it at 735 mhz it would freeze up at the POST. Im running Windows XP and I haven't had any problems until today, dunno what I did. Im gonna go try what you said about the ram and try safe mode. Thanks.

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

So this is a new problem? Hmm. Are you able to do a complete format and reinstall?