Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone ever use Fend?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Sunjeet, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Anyone ever use Fend?

I found some good spears that I though I could use on a Spearzon that I wanted to try. I figured max Lightning Strike with points in its synergies as well as a decent Valk. I don't really like Jab as its kind of a boring skill. I like the idea of Fend but heard that if you are hit during a Fend-cycle, you'll end up missing the remaning hits. However, I'm wondering if one would have a high enough Dodge/Avoid and high def (maybe an act 2 def merc), would this make Fend worth using? I figure that maybe would make it worth it. Here is my idea for a build. Please tell me what you think (and please no, "spearzons suck" comments).

20 Fend
    20 Lightning Strike
    20 Power Strike
    20 Lightning Bolt
    1 Critical Strike
    1 Penetrate
    10 Valkarie
    5 Dodge
    5 Avoid

I figure Evade isn't important since I'll be in the fray of things and not really running around much. But I'm wondering if I should redistribute points. Also, what stats should I aim for and what is the ideal armor set?

2. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

The problem with Fend is that if you get into dodge animation, all the remaining hits miss as well. Hence some fendazons avoid pts into d/a/e completely.

My suggestion is pump more pts into valk (and maybe decoy). With 3 tanks, you can use the reach of your spears to advantage, hiding behind them.

Get maxed charged strike/lightning strike/lightning bolt instead. The CS would help you finish off bosses a lot faster and there's nothing you can use powerstrike on without CS being better.

Ideal armour, IMO Chains of Honor. +skills and resists are what make it excel. Cheaper alternatives include vipermagi(again resists and +skill) or lionheart.

3. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Basically there is 2 ways to do this:

1. Get D/A/E and Valk, but then you have to hide behind your tanks to avoid the bug and attack properly.

2. Ignore D/A/E (and Valk because those are its pre-req's), and maybe max Decoy, if you think your zon & merc are not strong enough to tank. You can attack/play more freely but you lack defensive abilities

You should max Charged Strike, awesome skill for killing bosses. Also try to synergize CS as much as possible. More points in Penetrate are needed, you are mostly dealing physical damage so more AR definitely helps

As for merc I would suggest act 2 HF. The slowing effect is more useful than the defense bonus from Defiance merc

Then armors...CoH is the best you can get. Gloom is nice, and so is Lionheart and Vipermagi's. Duriel's Shell is worth considering

4. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

Amazon spears have a range of 4 other spears have a range of 3 or 4. With this in mind I gave my merc a polearm which has a range of 1 (thresher). I let the merc and valkrie engage first so they hit them, then I come behind them with my longer spear. The only time I have any problems with dodge and avoid is when I come across spellcasters.

5. Papasmurf90

Papasmurf90 IncGamers Member

So a spear zon is an effective build?

6. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

If I am not mistaken, act2 mercs have a fixed range of 3, so giving them lower reach polearms (like thresher with range of 2) doesn't really reduce their reach.