Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone else think the Barb is over the top?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by CarsV, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Cast_Raider

Cast_Raider Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Anyone else think the Barb is over the top?

He looked great, much better than the goofy looking witch doctor.

I would make one change though. When he pounds the ground, blood goes gushing out of zombies. Uhh, no. Axes do that. Swords and hammers do too. But a shockwave? Come on, it just stuns them.

I guess I don't want to see so much gore flying around that it becomes mundane and unremarkable. Admittedly, I'm being nitpicky.

2. CarsV

CarsV Banned

I see I'm definitely in the minority here lol. I dunno, I was referring to the whole smashing the ground and schtuff. But I suppose you're right, I'm too used to D2's graphics and they used a beefed up character in the trailer.

3. PontifulGC

PontifulGC Diabloii.Net Member

I really like d2's graphics. just sharpen them up for 1920x1200, actually have a company patch the game and not allow its employees to make cash off of duping/hacks, and bam, diii wouldnt be so much needed.

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

No such Thing.
    D1

5. kavlor

kavlor Diabloii.Net Member

Bring in more over the top.The game should be fun to play not just about item hunting.Im not sure just how much pure physics in the game will allow you to kill but I like the Idea(especially if the power of your skills influences it).

6. Felix

Felix Diabloii.Net Member

Everybody says the barb was outlevelling the demo and that it was done on purpose, but then why is the end demo monster killing him?

7. Narc

Narc Diabloii.Net Member

Because they said they wanted to end the demo with a real fight?

8. ExtraStrongFireEnchanted

ExtraStrongFireEnchanted Diabloii.Net Member

I think they wanted to show the death fatality. The loot chest-trap was rigged to give better loot than one could expect, so last mob could have been scripted to kill someone near the end of the fight.

There are plenty of arguments supporting "he was out leveling the place" case. A few of them.

1) his exp bar was barely moving.
    2) he got way to many skills for the first act.
    3) Those berserkers (?) were said to deal massive damage, while the barb took maybe 1/4 health hit. Massive in my book is taking more than 1/2 of health. Not sure about the values on this one, but I didn't had the "oh **** careful man you are about to die" when a few of them were smashing the barb.
    4) His WW hit were 1 shotting most of the mobs.

9. Psycroptic

Psycroptic Diabloii.Net Member

WW is a high level skill and didn't look over the top at all. Leap attack is also a high skill, and looked great. Only the magic hammer thing and ground stomp looked a bit....warcrafty/over the top.

10. AlmostInfinity

AlmostInfinity Diabloii.Net Member

The Barb does seem more flashy than before. Than again the barb had a whole bunch of plain animations in dii. When I first saw the demo, I thought to myself: Kratos? How did you get out of my PS2? I am excited that the barb gets more lovin in the visual department and some crowd control skills.

11. Frank_the_tank

Frank_the_tank Diabloii.Net Member

The Barb in Diablo 3 seems to be more effective than his 20 years younger self. Which is good news since melee in Diablo 2 was way too weak. I think the "over the top barb" is what it takes to match crazy spell casting fellows and guys in shiny plates throwing hammers around. The Barb so far seems great.

12. fanharijo

fanharijo Diabloii.Net Member

I just don't see the reason why the barb skills can't be so flashy as some of the other classes skills like for example; the sorceress frozen orb (imo the best looking skill in action rpg's to this date and I pray it makes a comeback

As for him being old, as somebody probably have pointed out already, it feels like it is the same character from d2 since blizzard likes to continue the story from before with them either as npc's (the wanderer) or bosses (the summoner, Bloodraven)

Beside, warrior gods from ancient times usually have been portrayed as old men

Odin : http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z71/jose_galaviz/Odin01.jpg

Zeus : http://danielfuentes.iespana.es/danielfuentes/images/mitologia/zeus.jpg

Perun : http://www.petshark.com/images/perun.jpg

13. Ammareddo_Fritter

Ammareddo_Fritter Diabloii.Net Member

I think what the OP is talking about is the stuff like the shock wave. What in D2 did that Barbarian do that was physically impossible? I think only the leap attack. Now we have a huge mace from nowhere, hitting the ground to create an earthquake, and a faster than light charge. As for me, I've always enjoyed low fantasy much more than "deep" fantasy. S'why I dislike WoW so much.:smug:

14. snugglson

snugglson Diabloii.Net Member

I just hope every class has awesome aoe skills, and that nobody is left killing one mob at a time. so boring.

15. CarsV

CarsV Banned

Finally somebody understands me.:thumbup:

16. MooCQ

MooCQ Diabloii.Net Member

where do people keep gettin ze idea.. that diablo is realistic (even mildly)?.. Its totally pure fantasy!! has and always will be.. wonder what these fellas think about.. the exorcist? rofl

17. CarsV

CarsV Banned

I wonder who said anything about absolutes?

18. Ellok

Ellok Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah... just hope they change that sound :)

FO sorc = No sound

-Ellok

19. visom

visom Diabloii.Net Member

i personally dont think his skills are over the top

even though it appears so because of the high animation, it is still the same skill, look at leap attack for instance, what the barb does with leap attack is leap to a location and slams the ground causing mass damage, which is the same thing as the original one, except i think in the original leap attack only hits 1target, im not too sure since its been awhile since i've played

like if the sorc were to be in diablo3, and lets assume thunderstorm is a skill that doesn't need to be changed and that its already perfect, in d3 they will probably make the lightning bolt bigger, brighter, and leave some sparks behind once it hits the target, but it'll still hit only one target per 5secs

so to sum it all up, its just the animation that MAKES the skill look different, but its still almost the same

20. Simon Grim

Simon Grim Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah I think he appeared a bit over the top because he has more distance attacks than he did. While Barbarian in some people's minds screams up close melee type skills. Compared to all other classes he is the king of in your face slash and smash. While from the video you see some distance abilities that for some odd reason he needs to balance out with everyone else I suppose is their reasoning behind it. I guess being the hardest hitting physical combat machine doesn't add up to everyone's need for half god like powers and being able to shake the ground with their fists.

On some of the other posts about people who want realism in their games and those who laugh at these people. I think its funny for some reason they think realism in a fantasy game is a joke. I know. How about we have god like powers and destroy entire buildings with the flick of our fingers, and with one exhale wipe entire worlds away that would be pretty boring. Oh too much fantasy for you? Realism is the balance that keeps us planted into accepting that our character can only do so much. Without limits like realistic physics and natural looking settings that the characters move around in. Oh I know lets have guns cause hell its fantasy. No reason they can't have them its not realistic its just fantasy. I know how bout a space ship ending where aliens save the day and not the heroes. Everyone still laughing at realism in fantasy games?

I just think its funny that so many people are willing to accept anything shoved at them with the excuse its fantasy. Well some of us like immersion into our games. Thats where the realism comes in. We like to feel like we could live there. If we didn't have it those zombies you see the barb smacking around could just be over sized Barney dinosaurs. While the last boss could be Ronald McDonald and you wouldn't care cause its just fantasy you just want to have a good time. You might could play it and have a laugh, but without a structure based in some realism how long would it keep your attention?

Not a gripe just tired of seeing people who like realism getting slammed by people living in pure fantasy delusions of "Its all fantasy". So when do we see guns in the game Blizzard I'm chomping at the bit for that expansion. -__-

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008