Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone else switch here from offcial forums?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by TheAssClown, Jul 6, 2010.

1. TheAssClown

TheAssClown IncGamers Member

Anyone else switch here from offcial forums?

The official D3 forums have just been ruined, saw alot of posts about people ragequitting the those forums and coming here. I decided I would do it too, so who else has just switched?

2. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Re: Anyone else switch here from offcial forums?

Welcome.

While the RealID plan for posting ought to make the official forums cleaner, they could have also improved moderation instead. Make moderation accounts some other colour like red so that people don't get rewarded with a blue moderation post. I think that the visible presence of moderation would go a long way.

I often wanted to post on the blizzard forums (I'm not sure why, maybe to bait some trolls or possibly get a reply from Bashiok :heartbeat:) but I don't understand why they use the Diablo 2 realm accounts and not the new Battle.net 2 accounts to post. Those of us that play single player have no realm account and you have to play X hours in order to make it and then login periodically to keep it alive. Its just too much bother.

3. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Hiya.

Although I've been on this site for a very long time, just don't post on the forums much. :p

4. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

I've always wanted to kind of post on the official forums but I can't find my CDs anywhere so I haven't been able to post there. Mainly I just wanted to try and fish some of those "You must ask the right question" kind of answers out of him, but oh well. This place is pretty good. My activity comes and goes a little bit.

5. Risingred

Slevinn, this thread was in response to the fact that the bnet forums will shortly be using your real name instead of your user name.

6. TheAssClown

TheAssClown IncGamers Member

Your location makes so much more sense as Wisconson rather than Asia! Anyway... HELLO :D

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

even those my join date does not show it i have been here over 11 years. i started coming here instead of the official forums right away and i have never gone back. people on bnet (D1) used to call me a liar all the time cause of the info i picked up here that they were not getting on the official site, it was rather funny actually. anything good on that forum seems to get mentioned here anyway. so yeah this is the place to be for diablo fans

8. Occulus cant be ethereal

Occulus cant be ethereal IncGamers Member

I posted heavily on the official forums for D2 back in 2002-03.

9. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

I hope the mods grab a couple of extra cases of energy drinks; the troll infestation is going to be pretty bad.

That said, really Blizzard? Really? What a moronic idea. That said, Facebook makes a ton of money selling personal info, so maybe that's why they won't charge a B.net fee; marketing firms would pay a lot for WoW's client list.

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

A lot of the regular b.net posters frequent this site as well. especially in the main page news, I often see the same user names that bashiok replied to, when I quote a post from there. Frisky Dingo and Grug are 2 who leap to mind.

I think this site (and other fansites as well) are generally better for conversation than B.net. We've got better moderation and more informed readers; B.net tends to be angrier and lower info and more trolls. Though the B.net forums are much, much, much better in those regards now than they were from say, 1999-2006, before Blizzard upgraded the forums to at least require registration.

Everyone is welcome here, at any rate, and these forums will be enormously busier come blizzcon and some new info. They're the slowest they've been since D3 was announced these days, with such a long wait for new topics to discuss.

11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Strangely, I didn't post on there at all.

I went straight here when I made the move from SP to forums and battle.net. This site has a vast array of guides facts and members to help you with virtually anything.

From what I hear about the B.net forums, enjoy your upgrade! ^^

12. Risingred

Flux, you, Rush, Gaile and Elly (and now Leord/MD) have built this place and I've been reading it since 1999. I've read it every time I come back to D2, I read the wiki all the time. I can't tell you how awesome a resource this has been, back when it was garulf's guide hosted or today with the vigilant eye for news. Blizzard does not deserve the fantastic amount of work you guys put in.
    Once I get a certain issue taken care of, I'll be renewing my subscription to the site because you guys certainly deserve it. Figured I'd take the time here just to say thanks for all of your hard work, and that of the .net team.

13. permaximum

permaximum Banned

I only posted a few times in those forums and yes, there was a guy called Friskydingo. I pwned him hard but didn't know he was posting here also. That's probably why he was aggresive :)

14. Flux

Flux Administrator

He often shows up in main page news posts when Bashiok's reply was to him. And he's been the source of a fair number of the @Diablo tweets also. Makes me wonder if he'll keep it up once his B.net post name is Morton Smits. Or whatever. (Edit: He posted several outraged comments in the D3 forum about this issue, so I'm guessing... no.)

It's fun to post and create something of a different identity online. It's one of the whole points of an RPG. I mean the "RP" does stand for something, after all. Blizzard taking that way, in their games and now in their forums, seems a profound sign of a change in focus and company direction.

I'm curious if we'll ever get the real reason behind it. It's easy to say they're "selling out" or whatever, but selling out what? To whom? How do they benefit financially from having user's real names show up in the game or forums? Can they change more for banner ads or something? Is it just a way to integrate with or emulate FB?

Obviously it'll save them forum admin issues, but is it worth all this outrage and possibly/probably gutting their user population just to avoid having to hire some more CMs/interns to moderate? Any forum with a good user base will have plenty of volunteers to moderate, especially when Bliz can reward theirs with beta slots.

Bliz Irvine PR has long been desirous of more control. They don't much like fansites since we don't always toe the company line. They don't do magazine previews or features, they hardly give out interviews, they only present games at their own blizzcon, their CMs can't post anywhere but B.net, etc. Their lack of control over users on their forums must have been galling, so I guess this is their solution to that problem? Hoping that the trolls and troublemakers and outspoken critics won't want to post with their real names?

We're a long, long way from the D2 days when Max/Erich Schaefer, Peter Hu and lots of others from Bliz North would spend hours in our old IRC chat room, arguing about PKing and game balance directly with the fans. (Actions that would have horrified Bliz Irvine PR.)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  15. Flux

Flux Administrator

Enlightening post from Wryxian, one of the Bliz EU CMs:

[BLUE="http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816838128&sid=1&pageNo=203#4053"]We have been planning this change for a very long time. During this time, we have thought ahead about the scope and impact of this change and predicted that many people would no longer wish to post in the forums after this change goes live. We are fine with that, because we want to change these forums dramatically in a positive and more constructive direction.

It's been very obvious over the last few years that the forums are an exceptionally valuable source of information both for players and for us to gather feedback. There are many threads on this forum now, and over the last few years, that people have been constructively discussing many aspects of the game. They've received new wisdom and have then been able to go back to the game and enjoy it further with the new knowledge acquired through the forums.

These threads, however, can often be lost amongst a great deal of other threads that are basically filled with trolling, name calling, flaming, off-topic conversations and that's just a small amount of some of the content that has been found in these forums over the years. We don't want that anymore, and we believe the Real ID change will bring about a lot of the improvement that we are hoping for.

There's a lot of scare-mongering going on about the change, but there seems a need to make something very clear. The forums have always been an optional extra -- something you can choose to participate in if you wish to. With our Real ID changes for the forums, this is still the case. The only difference will be, if you do choose to participate in the forums, then you will do so by using your real name. But only after you've been warned and accepted this in advance. [/BLUE]

I was wondering if they had any goal from this other than driving off most of their users, ensuring that those who remained were docile, and removing the need to moderate their own forums. Nice to get that question answered, eh?

Will it actually work, though? Nothing they said they wanted, with the user reputation, threaded posts, and other modern forum features, wouldn't work with user names/accounts. You know, like how every other forum on the Internet does it.

And if someone wants to be an asshole, is having semi-anonymity online really what's letting them do it? Bliz will still need mods to ban users who misbehave. Anyone who went to junior high and high school surely remembers numerous complete assholes there; and that was face to face, with their real names (obviously) involved. The RL world is full of people who are dicks even though you know their names.

User names have long been tied to B.net forum accounts; they just didn't display publicly. The thing people are worried about is stalking, harassment, racism, facebook sabotage, loss of RP ability, your online gaming activities being tied to your real life for bosses to see, etc. I don't think even 1% of the nearly unanimous outcry over this change is from people thinking, "I won't have the nerve to troll with my real name on my post."

Which seems to be all Bliz is thinking this will help them with. At least judging from the blue post above.

16. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

There's no point in posting on the official forums ever.

For any reason.

It just gets drowned in bile. They effectively have zero moderation there. It's just trash. Sometimes I think every single decent human being on bnet exists only on these forums. I sure don't run into them elsewhere often.

17. Risingred

I will answer this by asking you a question:
    Does having your real name displayed change the fact that people have different opinions?
    You love health globes but I hate them, your name is Jim and mine is Bob and this is still the internet: how will that conversation go if at least one of us is pretty zealous about the subject?

Displaying your real name is still anonymous. You'll never meet these people outside of exceedingly rare occurrences.

What I want to know is what the hell makes Blizzard think they have the right to demand this? Do they realize that they just make games, and they aren't, in the scheme of things, that important?
    I have to use my real name on webforms for financial aid. Registering for school. Interacting with government websites. Where else do you have to use your real name? Buying stuff from amazon, places where your billing name must match your real name.

Blizzard just isn't that important. They have no right to demand this.
    They don't need us to use our real names. They need to make decent forums that aren't based on technology from 1999.

18. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I don't see how RP aspects come into play.

Forums and their avatars / names aren't a way to roleplay unless you specifically do it. Avatars (and sigs) are used to express you, not turn you into another person. They can be used for it, like how one site I was on had the staff change names and avatars to fit a recurring theme and they acted like the chars.

Ultimately, it just removes the anonymity of the Internet, which is the biggest reason it is a cesspool. I'd predict that 1% to go much higher actually. Without a cover, the people who troll and such won't be as vocal. People already use real names as a way to pick at another as a way of trolling and such.

If I used a forum requiring my first name and my face as an avatar, I'd be fine with it. I'm sure there are some here who do just that.

Importance won't be relevant to this. It's there forum and they can do whatever they want. If Flux (or whomever the main admin is) made it mandatory that all avatars must be fluffy pink unicorns, members would have to comply.

But, that goes into the freedom of expression and the whole global Internet thing...

19. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I saw this article referenced for a potential "real" reason behind the decision.

I also find it galling that they use the excuse that you can "opt out" by not posting in the forums. Given that their forums are a primary source of technical support, that excuse is 100% BS. (I've had a couple of occasions in my WoW days where I posted in their support forums to get some help.)

I'm upset enough about this decision that if it goes through, I probably won't buy D3, which is a game that I have been looking forward to playing. I've always supported Blizzard because they are pretty much the only big gaming company that doesn't treat Mac users like second class citizens. However, if they have so little respect for my ability to control my privacy online, I simply can't support them.

My biggest fear is that Blizzard is going to get away with this, and that other game makers going forward are going to follow suit. It's a very sad day indeed.

20. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Whether or not Korea is responsible has yet to be revealed to my knowledge.

Regardless, what would Tech Support services have to do with anything? They already get info on you (account names and passwords, in some cases full system specs). They get more access than the regular members posting on a forum.

You can still use Tech Support without the forums. When doing forum searches, you don't need to post revealing your name when lurking and looking for a solution to a potentially posted problem ;)

D3 and its quality has even less to do with all this :S