Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone else listening to Air America Radio?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Anyone else listening to Air America Radio?

If they don't broadcast in your area, you can get the digital stream from:
    http://www.airamericaradio.com/

Anyway, I've been listening to it a lot since it went on the air.
    • The little faux ads and faux public service announcements are hilarious, particularly "I love the decade" and "being Alan Colmes."
    • Al Franken is having trouble getting used to the medium of radio.
    • Jeneane Garofalo on the other hand has taken to the medium like a duck to water.
    • Chuck D. seemed to have a lot of trouble waking up in the morning at first (typical musician :) ). Now that he's actually coherent in the mornings I quite like his show.
    • Randi Rhodes is bombastic and often mean-spirited, but an obvious radio pro.

Anyway, anyone else been listening? What are your thoughts?

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I'm gonna take a pass on this. Talk radio is shrill whining, regardless of the political affiliation. I'll stick to KWVA and WUOG. College radio - discarding music before you've even heard it.

3. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Yay. Al Franken and his goliath 5 stations.... oh wait... SAN FRANSISCO COMING SOON!!!!!!! The right better watch out...

4. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Can we go ONE thread where a conservative doesnt bash a liberal or a liberal doesnt bash a conservative? For gods sake, this is getting tiresome.

5. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Not possible. Sad really.

6. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I'd listen to SuggestiveName's show on WBOR in Brunswick Maine, if he'd ever get off his *** and fix the freaking streaming server! BUM!

7. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I'd actually liket to hear Air America, but I don't get it, and seriously doubt I ever will. I'm one of those people who likes to "zone out" in the car, whether it's a book on tape or rush limbaugh. While I don't agree with him, Al Franken can be pretty funny at times.

But, I think the chances of Air America making it to southern colorado are slim to none, and I doubt it will survive beyond the election.

8. Underseer

If you just want to check it out, you can always listen to the live stream on the web.

9. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

In this forum? Sheesh, not in the forseeable future. And I should know, since I'm frequently responsible for the bashing. See, watch: YOU PANTY-WEARING LIBERALS ARE IN BED WITH THE TERRORISTS. It's easy. Anyway, don't sweat it too much...it's an election year, so this kind of thing is bound to pick up speed.

As for the original thread topic...why would anyone want to stream Air America's online broadcast? People in the US already have nonstop access to spoon-fed liberal pablum on TV. *ba-dum-chee!*

That was a freebie, Yaboosh.

10. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I streamed the O'Franken Factor for about half an hour this morning. It was sort of funny. Sort of. But then again I was wearing my magic helmet that blocks their liberal mind control rays...

Mith

11. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

I've been listening to it at work. I've got my own office, so I can afford to. :lol:

So far so good although I can't devote much of my time, listening to it. I need to fix my car stereo too, so I can listen to it while commuting.

12. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Think it will ever come to alaska? The most conservative state in the union? Probably not. Micheal Savage is just as funny. And not on purpose. He is without a dought the most shameless self promoter of the conservative radio programs. I'd say more then half of his calls are people saying how right he is on every issue, and then him telling you how right he is. And how he's the only real conservative on the radio. Good stuff.
    (he was fired from msnbc for *** bashing)

13. cleanupguy

Am I the only one who's addicted to this thing? I mean I can't stop listening to this. My computer is always on in my office and at home.

By the way, Randi Rhodes is awesome.

14. Underseer

I'm pretty addicted to it as well, although I admit I often zone it out while reading essays, doing work, posting on message boards, playing games, etc., etc.

However, it's completely replaced my MP3 collection. That's saying something. It's on pretty much all the time my computer's on (unless I'm downloading virus definition updates or something like that).

On a side note, it seems that the launch of AAR has created a bit of resentment in minority quarters:

http://www.pressaction.com/pablog/archives/001572.html

While the author above swings his bat a little too widely, keep in mind he is reacting to frustrations that go beyond the launch of AAR. Black America is effectively trapped in a one party system and because of that the Democratic party often takes their votes for granted. On top of that, their voices often get left out of liberal vs. conservative discussions.

The good news is that AAR management seems to agree with him. He posted the text of a response he got from an AAR VP:

15. Gigas

Gigas IncGamers Member

I don't listen to the radio.

That's how the Reptiloids eat your brain waves.

16. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I won't listen to it, just like I won't listen to Bill O'Reilly's show or Rush Limbaugh. I don't have an interest in something which openly bashes the opposing side. I prefer NPR (which gets me the BBC in addition to their own high-quality shows), which takes no side and lets it's guests take that job themselves.

17. cleanupguy

I'm a minority too, and being Korean, I certainly belong to a smaller minority group than African Americans. I do agree with Justin Felux somewhat that Air American would have been much better if it could have represented many groups of the US population. However, Air America is in its infancy at this point. I would not expect it to represent the broad spectrum of the US population from the get-go; to do so would be unreasonable of me. When I say broad spectrum, I mean minority groups.

I need to look at the bigger picture here though. The question is this: do I take my chance with the Republicans or the Democrats? I certainly will take my chance with the Democratic Party for many reasons that I will not bother to mention here.

As a listener, all I can expect from Air America, and it should, is that it will be nurtured and guided to become and represent the voices of the majority of the US population. And I do truly believe that the majority of Americans are more on the left than on the right. The only reason we think that the country is split 50/50, I believe, is because it is true that Republicans are far better at voting than Democrats. Even when more Republicans are voting than Democrats, the election results of the year 2000 (popular votes) was in favor of Gore. If all Democrats vote, wow... I can only dream that day will come.

By the way, Air American is slowly getting more minority (blacks) on the show. Chuck D and Mark Riley are examples.

18. Underseer

*shrug* They have plenty of problems. I'm willing to cut them slack because none of the minor issues they have are as big as the fact that they effectively end the conservative monopoly over a huge chunk of our national discourse. That should never have been allowed to happen in the first place and it happened because somehow we became allergic to confrontation. I don't know when or how that happened, but I've made a conscious effort to counteract my aversion to confrontations.

The "echo chamber effect" has allowed conservative propaganda to skew "normal" media output to the right. Here's to hoping Air America can create a counter-balancing echo chamber.

19. cleanupguy

I cannot agree more. Also, I cannot forget the thing that Jon Stewart said the other day because it is so true. He said something to the effect of... The media is like a bunch of 6-year-olds playing soccer. When the ball falls on the ground, all the kids go toward the ball trying to get a piece of it. When the ball pops and falls on the other side of the field, all the kids go following the ball and try to get a piece of it. OK. I'm paraphrasing what he said, and it was a lot more hilarious when he said it. But I see the media as just that. A bunch of 6-year-olds that follow the ball. The media has been the 6-year-olds following the soccer ball, not to mention the fact that it has not been doing it job vastly because it's been afraid to be called unpatriotic by this administration.

Nowadays, I don't even watch or read CNN, MSNBC, or any of the popular news media. I do my own research and follow up on the things around the world either through C-SPAN or foreign media.

By the way, I'm angry for the fact that they are not in my area, the bay area, because I can't listen to them while driving, and I don't want to subscribe to XM.

20. Underseer

If you buy XM just to listen to AAR, you'll be indirectly helping AAR. :p