Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone else have morons for mercs?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dokhogg, Apr 3, 2004.

1. dokhogg

dokhogg IncGamers Member

Anyone else have morons for mercs?

Ok, so my merc has been with me for quite a while, all the way through NM and now into Hell. He's got good gear, good stats, etc so I don't want to replace him. The problem is that he is a moron. I go one way in the pit, he goes another. I go around a corner and run into a pack bad guys, and I'm fighting for my life and I can see him on the map just behind the corner sitting there. Or if I have stopped to pick things up, he keeps going on and on spawning more monsters and getting us both in trouble again. Is this just something ya have to live with, or are some mercs just dumber than others? Its almost as if Durf trained him.

k, thats my Saturday morning rant.

dok

2. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

:lol:
    quite true m8.. a teleport helps a lot in those cses.. thats why my sorc rocks.. :thumbsup:

3. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Ya here you loud and clear. Mercs and skellies have the worst AI sometimes (actually most of the time).

4. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Very funny, but true!

My merc is level 77 and my barb keeps having to fight without him. The funniest thing is that when we TP or WP to somewhere and I begin my shout BO thingy, he walks away! Out of the range of the effect!

Mercs are morons. Good thing we don't pay them good cash. Just an item or two. :lol:

5. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Yes, mercs are morons :lol:

If he is stuck, move a little bit, it might help a bit. Sorcs of course have teleport which is awesome tool for controlling merc :)

6. MeBrutox

MeBrutox IncGamers Member

True..which is one reason I stopped using mercs except for specific builds. I would have to agree and blame Durf as well.

7. AdunaCCDanimoth

AdunaCCDanimoth IncGamers Member

I had a merc back on bnet that used an Upgraded Grims Burning Dead, Valor, and an Upgraded Steelskull. Sure he was good against most things....

But when it game to anything with gold text for a name, he was a god damn idiot.

8. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

My 'sin just reached Act 2 of NM, and i eagerly switched out my faithful Defiance merc for a Holy Freeze merc. Kind of a disappointment. The biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to remember he has an aura at times. I think he's figured out that the more he dies, the more i have to pay him to re-enlist his services. So quite often he will enthusiastically wade into a pack of enemies sans Holy Freeze, get gibbed, and be back in town chatting it up with Deckard Cain before i can exclaim "why did i hire this lazy shiftless bum!"

-FF

9. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

You know, most games that have AI controlled characters have pathfinding issues. Look at Empire Earth, AOE, Rise of Nations, and others. This is just another example.

But still, it's good to place a label on our mercs. Moron!

Edit: I think we should start referring to them as morons in these threads. Instead of a thread called "merc question" it should be called "moron question".

10. Paradox of Reality

Paradox of Reality IncGamers Member

I think you're asking the wrong question. It should be does anyone NOT have a moron for a merc?

I sometimes wonder how they manage to use those weapons and not accidentally kill themselves. It's especially nice when you come up to a group of monsters and your merc walks right by them and just stands there for awhile, as if deciding whether or not he really wants to get blood on his shoes or something.

11. DevontheGnomey

DevontheGnomey IncGamers Member

and even when they do decide they are going to ruthlessly charge in battle, well wait a minute, that never happens. i've got an a2 merc and this dude is the most casual laid back human ever to help go against demons and ultimately the prime evils. Me i hold shift down a lot(preferring it to auto-run in case i come across archers, and out of habit).. so i run around a lot, most especially into battle. Not gulzar, that dude baby-steps his way into combat, i half expect him to ask the blood lords if he could get his portrait painted with one, more often then not he doesn't... he just keeps walking

12. zimson

zimson IncGamers Member

But we do pay to get them resurrected after they have died from their stupidity. The 50 000 GP is much better spent gambling.

But yeah, all of them are stupid, like some party members on battle.net but at least mercs don't talk and beg for items :lol:

13. DevontheGnomey

DevontheGnomey IncGamers Member

i don't know about your guy but mine is way to cheery when he says thanks as we are in the midst of some epic battle, concentrate gulzar, concentrate! i swear my merc could be durf himself. I'm also convinced they ask for items in sort of the way a dog tells you he doesn't like being left at home... it might not be verbal but you understand what he means. When mny merc dies 3 times in 15 seconds he is begging in leet speak for me to upgrade that armor of his to its elite version

14. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

You've just spoken for all of us when you said mercs are morons. :lol:

15. zimson

zimson IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, they speak a little, forgot about that, probably because it doesn't bother me at all when they say 'thanks' with their mild voice. :lol:
    But the main point is that they don't beg for it and that when they get pissed they don't flood the screen with pointless stuff or try to PK you.

16. kramph

kramph IncGamers Member

I think the biggest morons are the Revives. My skelliemancer rarely uses them. The skeletons will be dealing with the bad guys, but the Revives just seem to run around and do nothing but attract more and more bad guys, and then you have to run away because now the whole screen is filled with dozens of bad guys which are now overwhelming the skeleton army. Teleport helps, but it gets expensive. Cheaper to avoid using Revives.

17. WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack IncGamers Member

I personally love with my AI fire rogue runs into the middle of the pack of monsters to shoot at things. I'm guessing she's near-sighted. The other favorite is the 'stop just beind the corner and not move to help' trick. I'm just now learning the joys of the actII mercs (started a sorc, needed a tank), and well, i'm hoping he gets smarter as he gets more lvl's. Why is it the monsters can have improved AI, but the mercs still qualify for 'stupid merc trick' threads.

:cheesy:

18. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Do you realise how much time and effort Blizzard spent on programming the artificial stupidity for these guys? They are possibly the most sophisticated routines simulating complete idiocy ever written!

Act 5 mercs are better aggressively, or so I've heard. Act 1 & 3 mercs are okay as long as neither you nor the monsters move too often. Act 2 mercs... well, Greiz has depleted many a village of its idiot to provide his mercs.

19. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

That's the best explanation anyone has offered so far.

20. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

My merc is a completely idiot. :rant:

If I only could get into the game for a few minutes, he would have his ears washed.