Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyee help..yet again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Mar 4, 2004.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Anyee help..yet again

I am sorry to be such a pain in your behind, but I value your input.

Liam had his appointment with a psychiatrist today and he doesn't think Liam needs to be on Prozac or Paxil. Good thing, right? After a two hour interview, most of it was me telling him family medical history, he made the determination that Liam has ADHD. He wants to either put him on Ritilin or Stratera. I told him absolutely not.

He made this assumption based on when we were talking, Liam was bored and was poking around. He was also fiddling with his hands during the short time they were talking. Liam is alot like me, they don't like to talk to new people much, we get nervous. At no time was any type of test administered. Is this proper protocol for a diagnosis such as this?

Lets say Liam may have a touch of ADHD, should he be medicated? The school has never sent home a letter stating that he may have this and they are usually the first to give the kids a pill for anything.

This is the hard question...how can I find a good psychiatrist? Mental health is not covered under my insurance plan, and it can get quite costly to doctor hop.

2. ItsaMeMario

ItsaMeMario IncGamers Member

I was also diagnosed with ADHD, along with the other 13% of Americans, and I don't really like the medication they gave me. I really would suggest to you not to put your child on ADHD medication that gives ANY kind of stimulant, it's just asking for trouble.

At first they had me on a medicine called Addarell, I didn't like it one bit. It's basically mini-cocaine for children and adults, giving a really weird stimulant. It basically makes you focus on everything you're doing and get really excited about doing it, which I don't like because I'm not a big fan of any medication that would change my opinion on anything I'm doing, so I asked the doctor if I could take something without a stimulant and he prescribed me a medicine called Concerta.

I like it 10000x better, it's a decent medication for someone with ADHD, it helps focus, but doesn't provide the stimulant which will make it so I never feel like I need my medicine. I'd reccomend it if you did plan to put your child on any ADHD medication.

By the way, I don't know if you have ADHD or not but it's really something not to be taken lightly, it's a very, very bad sympton though most think it's not. It will affect your childs work habits and even provide a learning disability. Though most ADHA medications are not what I'd consider good in health prospect, they are very, very helpful and they do fill the gap in mental wise.

So my reccomendation would be to put Liam on medication if you think he really has it, ask him some questions like does he have a hard time focusing and such, and if he does I'd give it a try. But like you mentioned if it's just a personality trait he may be alright. If you DO medicate him, avoid Addarell and Ritalin, ask the doctor specifically for something without a stimulat, like Concerta like I mentioned.

Hope everything works out.

3. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Personally I dont think behavior should be medicated, it should be dealt with otherwise.

4. zodiac66

Geeno..thats what I think.

Itsamemario, I know that ADD can be very bad. Liam is pretty much an A/B student. He scores very high on all the standardized tests.

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

*cough* DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM ONLINE FORUMS REGARDING MEDICAL ADVICE OF YOUR CHILDREN, EVEN IF YOU THINK THAT THEY ARE QUALIFIED TO DO SO, i.e. NEUROLOGICAL GRADUATE STUDENTS *cough*

Get a second opinion from someone who is qualified.

6. zodiac66

She can help provide guidance. She can give me an idea of what questions to ask. Above all, she can tell me what to look for in a qualified psychiatrist, because I honestly think this dude was a quack. She would know what the protocols are for diagnosis. If they are just giving him a pill based on what he saw...I want to know if this is standard proceedure.

7. toader

toader Banned

This kinda reminded me of that South Park episode where they all the kids were getting diagnosed with ADD just because they couldnt sit still during something extremly boring. They all got put on ridlin and became zombie-like. Isnt it fun when southpark uses humor to take shots at the stupid things our society is doing?

Seriously though...I think the whole ADD and Prozac thing is a cop-out on the part of the medical profession. I would definatly get a 2nd opinion.

8. zodiac66

I am certainly getting a second opinion. The problem is..how do I find someone, for lack of better words, doesn't have the drug companies interests at heart. I always pass those drug reps in the hallways of doctor's offices and often wonder if the prescription I am holding only provides a kickback to the doctor. My back hurts..instead of getting to the root of the problem, I get vicodin. My doctor prescribed Wellbutin knowing full well I had an eating disorder. Luckily, I did research before filling it. Liam is bored, he gets Streterra. How do I know if a diagnosis of this magnitude is correct? I would think that some tests would be performed as well as his academic records be looked at before making a diagnosis such as this.

How is a parent to know??

9. toader

toader Banned

In the words of a Beattle:

"All you need is love."

10. th5418

th5418 Banned

Can someone tell me what ADHD is?

11. ItsaMeMario

ItsaMeMario IncGamers Member

I'm just giving opinions based on my own experience.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

What yaboosh said.

But just the same, I think that when two grownups are in a room talking about grownup things (and using big boring words to do so) every kid on the planet is going to get fidgety.

13. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

i could, but these flowers over here are too pret..ooh a rabbi...bananas mm...woah where did this mos..trees!!!
    [/exaggeration]

14. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

i'm sure google could, if only you'd ask it

15. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

from what you say he is a VERY smart kid. he probably is bored in school but that doesn't mean he has ADD or ADHD. Kids are Horribly overmedicated for this sort of thing. I'd say even if he has ADD let him just develop coping strategies on his own. I actually could have relied on some crutches provided to me when I was young but if I had i wouldn't have been able to get where i am now. my own experience says that in all but extreme cases leave it alone. I'll do a little research and get back to you.

16. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

ok. here we go:
    also, you can try a half a cup of coffee. some peole with ADD or ADHD find coffee helps with the symptoms of ADD/ADHD

17. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

I dispense advice based on what I've heard from my professors, some of whom have been doing this for the better part of a century. Part of my training was in clinical assessment. I don't know how to give the tests myself, but I know which ones can be helpful.

The proper procedure for diagnosing ADHD includes an interview with the child himself, not watching the kid poke around while bored. It should include things like your reports of Liam's behavior at home, the assessments of his teachers (which in this case should be discarded since his teachers suck...in my opinion), his report cards, and other factors. There's also a MASSIVE battery of exams that SHOULD be administered to determine ADHD, but many people don't do it. At the very least, though, the doc should have spent some time watching Liam in a non-stressful, interesting situation. If Liam can't keep a conversation going, if he can't focus on simple tasks, then there might be a problem.

Liam sees a counselor, correct? Have her recommend a clinical neuropsychologist. This is someone who can do the whole workup: IQ, attention, memory, etc. Ask her for someone who isn't medication happy. Then get the testing done. It will probably cost you something...it's not cheap...but at the end of it, if done well, you'll have a good profile of Liam right then and something to work with. Where are you in the US again?

I still don't buy that Liam needs meds. I think he needs a school that isn't full of morons.

18. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Again, although I am sure you enjoy putting what you learned to work, it is not your place to make judgement calls other than the clinical neuropsychologist. The expression of Liam not needing meds can bias her from having him take them even if several experts agree he needs them.

19. zodiac66

Anyee, we live in Northeastern Ohio. If you could guide me on how I can find a doc who won't just give him a pill for everything, I would be grateful. I have no problems giving him meds if he needs it.

The more I think of that assessment, the angrier I get. Never in his life has anyone hinted at ADHD. His pediatrician, neurologist, counselor nor his teachers never mentioned that he may have this problem. This man based his diagnosis on what he saw in that short amount of time. Sure, Liam doesn't stick with things, but those are things that don't interest him. He can sit down and read a book for 2 hours without squirming. He can stick with his games until he beats them. He doesn't run around like a wild banshee.

I know you can't give me medical advice, and that is not what I am seeking. You have affirmed my belief that this diagnosis was bogus. If Liam had taken some tests, that would be a different story. Hell, I was squirming around and looking out the window.

Why are meds so overprescribed? Granted, I did allow Liam to be put on Prozac, but perhaps there is a chemical imballance related to his seizures that he had. Will I put him on Streterra or Ritalin? No way in hell. For others, I am not basing this on what Anyee says, this is my gut instinct. Even if he has a mild case of ADHD, I feel he would be better off learning coping skills. If he were bouncing off the walls, then it would be proper..but he isn't.

Dantos..thank you for that info. Very few of those apply to him. Well..I suppose it would depend on the situation. None of those last for that length of time.

20. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Boosh, relax. Zod isn't asking Anyee to treat her child or tell her what to do. She's asking for guidance so she can do it herself. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice and molding it to fit one's situation. Anyee stating she doesn't buy that Liam needs meds is an opinion, and obviously stated as such.

Zodiac is an intelligent woman and mother and is capable of doing what's best for her children. To gripe that she shouldn't be asking or taking advice from this forum and that Anyee shouldn't be dispensing may be an insult to them both. Not you me, Anyee or anyone else on this forum is qualified to treat or care for or know what's best for Zodiac's children, only Zodiac fits that description and if she wants to come here asking for general guidance so her son gets the right diagnosis and best treatment for him, that's her business and no one else's.