Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anybody want Iditarod Pictures?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by giantpinkbunnyhead, Mar 4, 2004.

1. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Anybody want Iditarod Pictures?

Hi Forum Peoples,

Just wondering if any of you have any interest in the Iditarod sled dog race. For those that don't know, it's an annual world-famous race from Anchorage, Alaska to Nome, Alaska. The course is about 1100 miles long and takes 10-14 days. The race commemmorates a famous event in 1925 during which a flu epidemic struck the small population in Nome, and the only way to get the much needed serum to town was to dogsled it from elsewhere. Ever hear of Balto? He was one of the dogs on that original serum run. This year, 87 dog teams (and mushers) are competing! This will be the biggest race ever. It starts on March 6, this Saturday.

Here is CNN's story on this year's race.

So, if anybody here wants, I can take pictures of the start of the race and post them on a website. It all begins in downtown Anchorage, and it's a pretty impressive thing to see if you never have! If there is sufficient interest, I will take my camera and take some pictures for you all. (Unless I get called in to work, I'm on standby on race day). Let me know!

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Yes, please!

I was up in Anchorage the year there was no snow for the start of the race so I missed all the doggies.

3. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

That happened this year too, sort of. THey had to move the restart from Wasilla to Willow, and they're having trouble finding enough snow to cover the starting route out of Anchorage. But they say they can do it... So, all the dogs will take off out of here, go 10 miles, then the mushers will pack them all up and drive 70 miles to Willow, where they will re-asssemble and start the race again.

4. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Ahhhh, the famous iditarod. Would be very cool to see pictures GPBH. So... please do take them and share. :)

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Definitely!