Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anybody into metal here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Butt, Aug 7, 2010.

1. The Butt

The Butt IncGamers Member

Anybody into metal here?

Yeah. Anybody who likes metal music here, particularly the extreme genres like black metal, death metal, thrash? I'm not talking about heavy metal like Iron Maiden, I mean stuff like Dead Congregation, Burzum, Behemoth, Cryptopsy, etc.

If so, what's your favorite subgenre of metal? I want to get some metal discussion here.

Protip: I don't want any idiots posting here. If you don't like metal, don't post here. I don't want any retarded "ungh my fragile ears cant take the harsh vocals, they sound like cookie monster WOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!1" BS. Thank you.

2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

3. The Butt

Re: Anybody into metal here?

I wanted to get an actual discussion going on, not just "hey I'm gonna post the name of the song I'm listening to".

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

OK But if you want to know if any of us like metal that will tell you who does and what type a lot faster.

And even who bags on them when they post it.

Just a suggestion.
    Not trying to derail you just get you what your asking for.

5. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I tried to look through my collection to see if I had any real metal, but it looks like wikipedia has them all set as punk related bands. :{

Damn you WiKiPeDiA! Damn you to Diablo!

6. The Butt

MYK: Off topic but punk you say? What bands? :) Metal's my main love but I like some select punk too.

I appreciate the sentiment, but yeah, as I said, just wanted to start some in-depth music discussion on my favorite kind of music. :)

7. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Not really too big a fan of black and death metal, but Lamb of God isn't that bad.

I do tend to prefere to heavy stuff as you call it though. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Manowar etc etc etc.

Also big fan of Nightwish! >_> Though recently I've mostly been listening to Avenged Sevenfold and Breaking Benjamin.

Anyway for me black and trash is just taking it a little bit to far. Can't understand the vocalist, and the guitar, bass and drums are all just... well I don't even know how to describe it. xD

8. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

I'm a full-on metalhead, and I dig some black/death/thrash, but most of the stuff I jam on is probably stuff you're not talking about (like Nevermore, Iced Earth, Communic, etc., plus the old-school). I've always had a hard time classifying my favorite sub-genre. Power-Thrash? Modern Heavy Metal? I dunno, but you get the point.

Most of the extreme stuff I like is more of the heavy metal influenced (and bigger) bands like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, and Dimmu Borgir. One of the smaller bands I've been jamming on for a while now is Skeleton Witch, but it seems like they've been starting to get some pretty big attention lately (I think they're gonna be on Ozzfest this year). I'm not too sure about their newest album, but Beyond the Permafrost is so right it's not even funny! Thrash band with Black vocals and 2 guitar players that like Maiden WAAAY too much? Count me in!!

PS. Nice avatar and screen name! Your screen name is actually one of my cat's many nicknames!

9. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I prefer much older stuff like Judas Priest or Black Sabbath.

10. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I used to be into metal in my younger years. Of the ones the OP mentioned, I've only heard of:

Cryptopsy: Liked it. I think they did some moody stuff with either a female singer, organ-esque keys, or orchestra sound, but I can't recall which of those three they experimented with. Either one, it was an interesting touch.

Here are some of the bands my friends and I were into, crudely in order of my favorites:

Phlebotomized, Dilinger's Escape Plan, Kataklysm, System of a Down, Punch Drunk, Carcass, Oblivion, Acid Bath, Alchemist, Brutal Truth, Exit 13.

This was to get a change from the more common, more popular bands at the time among my friends like Napalm Death, Sepultura, Deicide, Pantera, Death, Incubus, Slipknot, Machine Head, Obituary and the very old Rage Against the Machine and Dayglo Abortions which were not as heavy nor speedy. Yes, I know some of these these are not 'death', but the more lyrics you can make out, the more people are willing to listen.

Then, my friend would sometimes pop in some strange ones like: Cancer, Mundane, Goreguts, and Down.

Around the time the internet was becoming a popular way to steal music, some bands were coming to my attention like: Novombre (SP?), Lamb of God, In Flames, but I was losing interest in the whole thing by that time.

There were just too many pointless sounds that had nothing going for them, like Bolt Thrower, and a lot Chris Barns stuff, and similar bands where it was just guys whacking the first two guitar strings and never so much as touching a higher pitched note. Boring. Too low and droning, meaningless.

There was a LOT of less heavy, more catchy and I guess stylish, distinguishable bands that grabbed up everyone's attention at the time for their unique sounds. These included: Faith No More, Thought Industry, and even downright soft stuff like Machines of Loving Grace, Tori Amos (SP?) and the Tea Party.

Then, as we go down the ladder of heavy and into the more interesting, we had the ones that stuck out for being so damn weird: Less Claypool, Frank Zorn, Ween, Mr. Bungle, Bloodhound Gang, Primus, and Tom Waits.

A note on Black Sabbath: my favorite lead guitar sounds I've ever heard are on their video The Last Supper where the band got back together, did shows, and talked about their history, band formation, songs, troubles, etc. It's a great video; I strongly recommend it. You won't forget Iommi's playing.

Oh, I almost forgot: where it all went downhill and I stopped listening altogether. Korn sold out and turned into a rap band because people like rap, I guess. Too many people were listening to Korn all night when there was all that hot stuff I mentioned above, with loads of variety and something for everyone, regardless of which drugs you were on while hammed up on beer. Mr. Bungle's highly anticipated "California" album sounded like the goddam Beach Boys. No offense to the Beach Boys, but I don't think any of us WANTED the new Bungle album to replicate the goddam Beach Boys.

Around the end of the 90's, every last song you heard on the radio was writen by pansy, cry baby homo males, so the year 2000 kind of signaled the end of good music instead of the end of the world like everyone thought. You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing one of:

"Closing tiiiiiiime!!" in a whiney voice like he's crying in the corner.

"...and I've had toooo much caffeine..." Oh no. Too much caffeine? You poor poor baby. Please, tell me more of this great powerful message you want thousands of listeners to hear.

"...are you treatin' me right? WHO WANTS TO KNOW?? Good God! I'm a believer!" Believers are not cool. Get off the radio, please.

Around these years, there was a big craze about bands with "Boyz" in the title. Beastie Boys. Backstreet Boys. It was like watching all my friends turn homosexual. I don't care if they are cool, fellas, I wanted to say, They have the word Boys in their name.

Somewhere in the haze of things, in the death of music as we know it, Metalica did that Load album...followed by Reload. Har har. Well, you all know how that held over with old school metal fans.

Oh, edit edit edit! How could I forget Merylin Manson? Everyone thought he was so cool with all that make up and the eye liner, and the tight leather pants...then the assless pants...and the ugh, rumors about having his ribs removed so he could suck himself off, and the...uh, dress wearing?? Lipstick...so very much attention to the hair...

Um, so as it turns out, he is not being a transvestite this whole time to be provocative and edgy? Oh, no. He really WAS a chicks with dix type of wanderer the whole time. So all these macho guys listening to him gradually lost all their macho points.

Eventually, Eminem came along, and that is all anyone wanted to hear, except me, because I am not into rap. Before long, all my friends would only listen to the baddest black dudes they could buy in the store for $35 [That's another thing that killed music, $35 CD's]. I was from the whitest small town in Canada, so I didn't see what black gangs, black violence, black issues had to do with all my friends who practically worshiped the stuff. It was totally the end of music for me, not just the rap takeover, but everything: Korn selling out, the new internet stuff like In Flames not bringing anything new or interesting, too hard to find Phlebotomized new albums, radio going homo forever, etc.

Then, Phantom Menace came out, and I stopped listening for good.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  11. korialstraz

:worship::worship::worship:

Could not agree more about a lot of your points stillman! Especially about all this new crap coming out just killing music. Rap, trance, techno, RnB etc etc etc. Can't stand it.

12. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

And the genres you mention usually nicking their tunes from either (classic) metal or perfectly good pop songs. :no:

According to the initial post I do not listen to metal (hides Iron Maiden shower cap). So I shouldn't have posted here. :ponder:

13. korialstraz

Ehh? Not sure what to say besides the fact I don't listen to pop. And I don't think I've ever heard someone say Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses or whatever drawing inspiration from pop. Never heard that about Nightwish, Avenged or Breaking either.

But then again I'm not that hard to please when it comes to rock/metal genre. Listen to most besides black/death. At least for the most part.

14. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

I think I meant that RnB etc nick tunes or sometimes even the entire song from metal, rock and classic pop songs.

15. DoW Fanatic

DoW Fanatic IncGamers Member

I remember when it was all metal. Then the OCD generation came along and gave everything labels. This is smash-your-toe-with-a-hammer-metal and this is punch-your-neighbor-in-the-face-metal. People before you liked it and others will too, get over yourselves.

Geeze. It's like everytime a new band comes out that sounds a little different, we have to create a new genre for them. It's like a pissing contest, "my metal peen is bigger than yours because my made up genre sounds kewler than yours". neener neener. :hijack: Now that I think about it, this could've gone into the pointless and stupid thread. :coffee:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  17. DoW Fanatic

DoW Fanatic IncGamers Member

*kills Bob in the face*

18. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Yeah, that is kind of like 'zombie' genre movies with sub genres when really, just 'horror' or 'comedy horror' would suffice.

This also leads to confusion. The old music book for the Master of Puppets album defines Metalica as perhaps the greatest 'thrash metal' band ever. Most of us just call it heavy metal. Then, Lars himself yells on Some Kind of Monster documentry, "We're a rock and roll band, there aren't supposed to be rules!" But was he just angry, or does he really forget about all this genre dicing and just call it rock and roll? Earlier in the documentary, he said he introduced himself to his future wife by saying he is a 'rock star', not a heavy metal or thrash metal drummer. So what are they, really? The narrorater said they were the most successful 'rock' band, iirc.

Tony Iommi said he always refered to his group as a hard rock band.

I recall an old episode of CSI where the black dude listens to the headphones a dead guy had on when he got shot to death, and he made some comment like, "speed metal. The guy never saw it comin." Ok, speed metal, but even Metalica has some very rapid foot pedals and guitar playing (especially in Kill em all) no different from the very fast paced stuff that came out decades later.

Then there is Wikipedia which goes ahead an calls bands things like 'grindcore band' and even 'goregrind' iirc. How are high school dropouts supposed to categorize this stuff?

I have always simply defined 'death' metal as anything dark and fast where the singer growls, making it hard if not impossible to decypher his lyrics. But this is just how I define it. So Metalica, Iron Maiden and other more mainstream bands where you can hear their lyrics would just be 'heavy' metal, and Canibal Corpse or Kataklysm would be 'death' in my book. But, what about the band called Death? They are clearly metal, very dark, fast, but you can hear the lyrics clearly enough in that album that had Crsytal Mountain on it. So they don't seem as extreme as Kataklysm by a long shot, yet Death is right in their name, so are they 'death' metal or no?

19. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

if you want to give it a more specific title then I don't have a problem with it

of course if you wanted to be most specific you would just name a few bands and circumvent the issue

I like older stuff, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.
    and hair bands which can be metalish

20. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

^
    ------------ Not exactly metal or even rock but I love it nonetheless.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010