any use for a barb merc?

ender wiggin

Diabloii.Net Member
any use for a barb merc?

Are act 5 mercs at all usefull. I have one with some good items that could make an act 2 merc better than me, but the barb merc just dies alot. Is there any use for them or some secret way to make them good?

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
ender wiggin said:
Are act 5 mercs at all usefull. I have one with some good items that could make an act 2 merc better than me, but the barb merc just dies alot. Is there any use for them or some secret way to make them good?
IMO, the Act 2 Mercs you can pick up from nightmare mode are the best mercs you can get because of the auras they provide. The Holy Freeze merc, in particular, is the single most useful merc in the game as they can slow down even immune to cold monsters.

Act 5 mercs are okay but aren't as good. Check this out, my ladder barb's first merc was an Act 5 merc. The merc had decent gear: Delirium Helm, Chains of Honor and a non-eth BOTD CB. He was a fast killer but also got killed quick. He is nowhere close to the durability of the Act 2 merc I replaced him with (oh yes I didn't forget to remove his items before I bought the new one). And now with the Act 2 Merc's aura, my barb's conc damage is close to 7K damage, 1-hand.

Drop Act 5 mercs. Get Act 2 mercs for tanks, Act 1 mercs for extra fire-power (if you can equip a rogue merc with a Windforce then you've got it made).

sJw_shan

Diabloii.Net Member
The only time I was able to use a act 5 merc sucessfully was for pindle runs. I had to give him a lightsabre to absorb the charged bolts and give him tal's mask for the life leech. These mercs are the most offensive and aggressive, but the lack of aura makes them suicidal and not very beneficial. I suppose a summon necro could make use of his offensiveness by giving him skeleton backup, but its a waste of an aura for your party if you don't have an act 2 merc...

Zenkat

Diabloii.Net Member
I picked an act5 merc for my IK barb, just to have my brethren fighting beside me.

Andrew

Diabloii.Net Member
Act 5 mercs are really great for Sorcs especially when you MF someone like Mephisto who you can't leach from.

an Act 5 merc regenerates full hp in 15 secs compared to 47 secs of the other mercs in 1.10 (IIRC, quoting from RTB here)

My act 5 merc equiped with:
Crainte Vomir
Blackhorns Mask
Shaftstop

Tanked ancients hell while i killed them with my sorc one at a time. He finished with full life, and notice - He has 0% life leach. I also use him to run mephisto because of the slow he has on gear. Very rarely dies in /players 5 mephisto runs. With upgraded shaft, blackhorns and crainte vomir, he will be very strong =D

Taurgon

Diabloii.Net Member
My Barbarian's act 5 merc used a Vile Husk sword to cast amp damage on the Hell Ancients. He lasted a suprisingly long time and I was finally able to beat them.

joepublic

Diabloii.Net Member
my trapsin makes good use of an A5 merc. dont remember his gear, but it aint shaftstop and delirium helm. i think he''s in his 60's. he does well against baal. the a2 merc would take longer to get to a lvl where he can tank. I can only imagine that at lvl 80 this merc will be baal proof.

PallyRanger

Diabloii.Net Member
Someone above mentioned the act 1 rogues. I make mostly rangers(as the my name explains) and have used just about every merc in the game to test and see what works well for me. So far, the act 5 mercs have been just meat shields for me to delay the baddies for a little bit while I take them out with my bow. Act 2 freeze mercs worked very well, as they froze they target while I took them. But now I have been using a rogue with some fairly decent effectiveness. She is by no means outfitted with the uber-leetist gear and most would say her gear is junk and throw aways but between her and myself, I get this "wall of arrows" thing going to where we just in effect throw out a ton of arrows in the general area of the baddies and take out most anything reasonable before they even get close enough to make me nervous. It's actually quite effective as long as you don't run into swarms of baddies, but you should be smarter than that if you know how to play a ranger effectively. Just my 2 cents.

-PallyRanger

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
My sorc uses an act5 merc which I chose because she was my first decent ladder char, and I found a good rare sword but I didnt have a good polearm. Now he's wearing a Duriel Shell, an ethereal shako (I found it, and it adds a lot of life which I need vs Mephi) and a rare Ethereal Balrog Blade with good mods (300-600 dmg 2handed) he tanks pindle, diablo, and usually meph too, unless he gets poisoned and then gets hit by his cold ball attack (normally doenst happen because merc goes toe to toe with meph). Final conclusion: if you can use an act2merc, but act5 mercs arent to bad either ;)

banditto1969

Diabloii.Net Member
My sorc uses an act5 merc with stun attack. Very effective, can stun council members, etc. Huge life and huge resists. If he gets to 1/4 health I tele back and heal him. His sword is a cruel etheral blade and he does 1500 dam natural, upwards of 5000 dam with an aura.

so yes they do have their place.

The trick using it with a sorc is tele 1/2 way to the monster you want to attack, then walk back while your merc runs in. Then you can fireball away and never get hit while your merc can take a lot of damage. Fighting D-Clone my act5 merc could live quite a while before needing potions.