Any tips for an untwinked BF Sin?

Dave in the basement

Diabloii.Net Member
Any tips for an untwinked BF Sin?

Hello all!

Scorn, my untwinked BF Sin just made it to NM, and I wondered if anyone had any good tips for me. As I am untwinked, my gear is a hodge-podge of rares, and my primary weapon is an eth Crushflange. I am not positive of my clvl, but I think it is in the low 40s, maybe 42 or 43.

I am working on maxing Venom, and Death Sentry, and will work on Shadow Master after that.

Normal Baal dropped a Kuko, and I am tempted to use that for awhile, although I am not sure if I would use it as a bow, or use it BF style.

I plan to camp out at the Countess, so I can at least make some of the low-to-mid level runewords, but other than that, I am open for ideas.

Thank you in advance for your replies. :)

Dave :teeth:

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm playing my twinked BF sin right now so I guess I can give you some pointers. :)

- Get a might merc. EDIT: Come to think of it, I think I'd chose blessed aim if untwinked. I solve my AR probelms with demon limb and baranar's star. You cannot do that, most likely. Since BF does pitiful physical damage anyway might doesn't do too much, only reason I have might is because I already have 10k AR. Connecting with pretty much every hit is a lot more important than an extra 100 damage which doesn't really factor in anyway since it's just CB doing the work.

- Max DS & Venom

- BF needs AR, recommend to run NM Meph for angelic halo & wings

- DS does the brunt of your killing

- CoS pwns

- If you max LS along with DS you got a decent source of non physical damage. The danger is that you might become a trapsin with a point in BF

- I maxed shadow master, I regret that because I don't really need her and she's very erratic and kinda unreliable. Also she uses mind blast all the time and stuff survives my CEs. Annoying. I only use her for act bosses now.

- If you get lucky and get an Um rune somehow I'd consider making a crescent moon runeword. Depending on whether or not you want to use it on other char's I'd make it in a non-ethereal weapon. BF will never deal a lot of physical damage

- Crushing Blow is your friend, deadly strike helps too but doesn't do much since you don't do a lot of physical damage. Open wounds is moderately useless since you attack only one target at a time.

- Try for a Black Weapon (Thul Io Nef) kinda easy to get off the countess and does adequate damage as well as 40% CB. And has knockback, too. :)

Dave in the basement

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the tips, Fishy! I appreciate the reply. :)

AR is a huge concern at the moment, and it looks like I’ll be tied to my blessed aim merc until the end.

I had planned on eventually maxing my Shadow Master, but I’ll be rethinking that now. Those points may be better spent in LS, which is a fun option.

Thanks again!

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
An alternative to Blessed Aim is a Rogue merc, but you'll probably want the second meat shield...

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
And what exactly is the rogue supposed to do? :scratch: No aura, pitiful damage, doesn't tank... Uh... About all she has going for her is "she's different". :teeth:

Nightfish said:
- I maxed shadow master, I regret that because I don't really need her and she's very erratic and kinda unreliable. Also she uses mind blast all the time and stuff survives my CEs. Annoying. I only use her for act bosses now.
You could use shadow warrior. they only use the 2 skills you have on your left and right mouse button at the time, so she will only do the skills your doing, which is a help. And she can tank for a while, but her killing is slow i find. Still, you shoudlnt be relying on your minion to get the kills.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I considered SW. But I've usually got BF on both LMB and RMB so I dismissed that again. Gonna give her another go when i play my trapsin. Gotta try that synergy stuff I read about last week... :D

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Rogues have Inner Sight, which at higher levels cuts large amounts of enemy defense, bosses included. Like I said, an alternative to a Blessed Aim aura. Has the bonus of lighting the enemies up, which is actually handy for me when I play in windowed mode (Durance is like blindfighting without it). Her damage isn't so bad with a good bow, it doesn't match Act 2 or 5 mercs, but I wouldn't call it pitiful. And in my experience, Rogues stay alive better than any other merc. Not because she has high amounts of life and regen (because she doesn't!), but because when there's a large pack of Frenzytaurs around, she doesn't charge and stand in the middle of it!

There is also the fact that I'm really sick of Act 2 mercs. And besides... Rogues are prettier...

...Stop looking at me like that! When you have to stare at the same bunch of pixels for hours on end every day, you start to take these things into consideration!

All that being said, I did say a BF sin might want a second meat shield, meaning an Act2 merc. I most often use Rogues with Amazons, who have Decoy and Valkyrie to act as tanks. An assassin may survive with only SM as a tank, but I haven't tried it.

foosnark

Diabloii.Net Member
Knockback is fun for a BFsin; mine still wears Cleglaw's Claw.

I kept my Act 1 Rogue and just let my Shadow Master tank; CoS and Mind Blast (plus knockback) ease the burden on tanks anyway.

My main sources of damage were DS, Venom and my Shadow Master, though I went for enough mana leech to just continuously spray BF at stuff. (I used Serpentlord at first, 100% mana per hit is awesome though the damage isn't.)

Death Sentry is definitely your best friend, and Venom + lots of damage charms are very helpful.

killmesh

Diabloii.Net Member
if you are going to get halo and wings i wouldnt mind parting with this

-edit er sry untwinked nevermind

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I found knockback to be completely useless for my BF sin since she only attacks a single monster out of about 10-30 that are on the screen. And none of these were moving towards me anyway since they were all blinded... Imo knockback does a lot better on a strafer that targets lots of things.

Disco-neck Ted

The Dark Library
Actually, I found open wounds to be incredibly helpful against crowds. Attacking one target at a time wasn't so very ninja looking, but hosing down groups of monsters and watching them leak life all over everywhere was great. Plus, weakening them meant the DS corpse explosion cascade was wickedly effective even without static field.

So here's a play tip: weapon speed figures into BF attack right at the beginning. Each time you start up, it takes longer to get that initial star off, so you may want to avoid that by aiming at the ground in front of you (I use shift-left-click since traps were on right click). Moving your mouse pointer in an arc lets you hose down packs of beasts and avoids the one-monster-at-a-time situation. At any point you can stop sweeping your aim around and concentrate on one critter. Toss a few death sentries in and it's all over.

As for converted monsters surviving the initial corpse explosions, a couple death sentries would blast those suckers to death the second they resumed their former allegience. It was hilarious to see the monsters haul back to take a swipe and just get vaporized.

Have fun!

Dodgydave

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd also consider looking for a rare/magic weapon with ctc amplify damage to have on switch, very useful to have with BF.

Be aware a blessed aim merc will be very hard to keep alive while going untwinked. He is not really a meat shield since his aura does not help him in any significant way. A defiance merc gets better defence therefore is harder to hit so survives well, a Holy freeze slows monsters and a Might gets increased damage which means increased leeching ability, both mean better survival. A blessed aim merc gets no real advantage since mercs hit pretty consistently anyway, I found it difficult to keep a fully twinked one alive in early Hell and ditched him.

Also if your looking for Angelics and don't mind boss running, I'd think NM Andy would be a better choice than Meph if you're specifically looking for jewellery.

Good luck with the sin.

Lucky_Seven

Diabloii.Net Member
Eth Crescent Moon is a very nice Weapon for BF sin. Good luck with the runes :D

20 in Venon is free damage :)
20 Lightning Sentry & Death Sentry for Lightning Damage and CE.
1 in Blade Fury
17 Shadow Master is a good meet shield and can kill things.
Mind Blast is the panic bottom.
Pray for a high damage eth weapon, mine used a useless eth runemaster.

Good Luck with your ninja and don't forget to hide in the shadows. :D

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Dodgydave said:
Be aware a blessed aim merc will be very hard to keep alive while going untwinked
I don´t think that will be much of a problem. Between Cloak of Shadows, pairing him up with a Shadow to tank and potion use, he should survive pretty well.

Dave in the basement

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks again for all of the tips, everyone. :) She rescued NM Cain last night, and tonight she'll be swinging by the Countess for an extended stay. :D

I finally found a mid-levelish rune along the way, but it was a Hel, of course.

Ah well, still having fun, and hoping for some better drops. Happy hunting!