Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Any teachers out here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leopold Stotch, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

I'm FINALLY committing to the field of education. I tried once before ten years ago and I dropped the class because I wasn't ready for that responsibility. The desire to teach was still there but I didn't want to put in the effort just yet. Well, ten years later, I'm ready to put in the effort and... now I'm slightly freaking out. It's only 2 slash 3 weeks into the semester and I'm starting to question myself. "Did I pick the right profession? Do I really want to teach? Why did I choose this route again? Wth am I thinking?" I think I'm starting to ask these questions I barely have any experience with kids (one of my recent jobs was working with kids at a learning center. I didn't teach them anything, just helped them when they needed it. I did more data entry and office stuff than actually "tutoring."), I'm nervous, there's a lot of work I have to do this semester with all of my classes, and I'm questioning my capabilities, almost having another existential crisis.

Did anyone else go through this or do I just need to wear 2 pairs of socks for my cold feet?

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Don't worry. Everything will go fine, as long as you don't tell your pupils of your account here.

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I have never - in my ENTIRE LIFE (and I'm not being THE LEAST BIT SARCASTIC AT ALL) - ever heard these words uttered by a young person who's just starting out in his/her chosen field! Not once! Totally serious! :p

Stay the course and you'll be fine. It's normal to go into panic mode when you're a greenhorn. You'll settle in eventually.

I have to second krischy's advice. Don't tell your students that you have an account on this (or any) website. Also, since Facebook is pretty much mandatory in this era, make sure that thing is squeaky clean. No drunken boob pics, no connection to that Overwatch r34 site that you adore, etc.

4. Leopold Stotch

So don't tell them about my FL account either? Got it. /thumbsup /sarcasm

I've thought about completely changing my name on FB or just deactivating it period. I took a two month break from FB over the summer and I swear to the Gods I felt happier! Plus, it just might be easier. idk yet.

Thanks, y'all. Feeling a bit better about a week later. Now I'm stressing over observation hours.

5. The Silver Shroud

The Silver Shroud Diabloii.Net Member

Don't FB with your students. Keep it professional. That way noting goes wrong..

I have that policy with work, I don't have any FB connections with management at all, no matter how nice they are or seem. I only added one manager on FB after she retired.

Leopold Stotch and jmervyn like this.
  6. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Concur - I have over 2.5K followers on Twitter but probably 5 know who I actually am.

Only exception will be if you use social media for assignments because your school is profoundly low-tech/cheap & won't spring for a homework distribution site. If so, make it a separate very public account that the parents have access to, & in the famous words of Dr. Egon Spengler , "don't cross the streams".

Leopold Stotch likes this.
  7. Leopold Stotch

Gross.

jmervyn likes this.
  8. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

I teach in adult education rather than with kids, but the big thing I have found is not to become "friends" with your students. That does not mean you cannot be friendly, but you need a certain amount of detachment.

Leopold Stotch and Dredd like this.
  9. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Be personal but not private. Show the students that you care for them, that you are human. Don't show them 10 year old party pictures ;)

10. jmervyn

Couldn't agree more. She's got to post them here 1st for approval.

Dredd likes this.
  11. Leopold Stotch

When moving across states, I did find my second grade picture. Aside from boobs and adult teeth, not much has changed, lol.

Here's what I'm mostly concerned with: one of my profs who has experience with high schoolers is like, "The kids will try to look you up." I totally believe it and if there's a will, there's a way. I need to brush up on my security and privacy. I have it private but need to make sure and brush up on some things.

Possible good news-- I should be starting observations at one campus tomorrow. I'm hoping it goes through. I recently hit a snag with something and I'm hoping that doesn't impact the visit/assignment/class I'm in. Went to the school briefly last week for an assignment and the front office didn't ask for anything, probably because I was a quick in and out. 90% of those kids are taller than me. Well, this is gonna be fun.

12. jmervyn

You have but to ask.

They definitely will research you. One of my pseudo-boy-scout charges apparently was using an online people research utility, which are far superior to the ones I used in the Census Bureau back in 2000. He kept trying to guess my home address, & actually got a couple of valid hits (I've moved a LOT).

13. Leopold Stotch

AHH!! NOOOO! Lol!!

Observations went mostly well! I think I had some kids laugh at my hairstyle, witnessed one kid cyberbullying, and learned a bit more Common Core. Awesome! :thumbsup:

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Yes, Common Core is amazing stuff... where 5 x 3 is NOT EQUAL to 5 + 5 + 5.

How's that called, alternative facts?

jmervyn likes this.
  15. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

That's bizarre, one of the first thing I teach is addition and multiplication are order independent and subtraction and division are order dependant. Not to mention one of the standard algebraic rules is: ab = ba

16. jmervyn

My wife runs rings around my mathematics skills, & she understands the Common Core thinking...

HOWEVER!!!! -

The problem is that Common Core attempts to skip over the basics & jump straight to advanced thinking - kind of like learning to write in shorthand without understanding spelling. The assertions that this works are largely unproven, so it may wind up in the historical dustbin along with Ebonics and New Math.

17. Leopold Stotch

When I was in school, Common Core wasn't a thing. Yeah, I had teachers who did absolutely nothing (Literally. My sophomore English class we did nothing but watch movies and bullshit. We read To Kill a Mockingbird but that was seriously the only thing I recall doing in that class), but I had many, many others who made us do work and tried to get us to think about our assignments, engage with the material. Since I've observed nothing but English classes, the only "YUGE" difference I have been seeing is A LOT MORE collaboration, working together, technology rich lessons, and maybe more of a push towards student-centric teaching. I had some teachers who were student-centric back when I was a little Lil' Leo, but not much. A lot were more like, "Okay, I'm going to talk, fill your mind, shut up and sit there, absorb like a good little sponge."

And one of the reasons we even have CC is because some states were finding loopholes in the system with NCLB, some state standards were so low while some states had high standards, it was (is?) a mess.

How the math and science teachers are teaching I couldn't tell you but they have their own standards to adhere to. Some states don't even have Common Core and only one that I can recall (Minnesota?) adopted one set of standards but not the other.

Holy crap, I'm actually LEARNING SOMETHING from my expensive classes and observations???

18. jmervyn

Some teachers are capable of learning, but sadly most stick with the "sage on a stage" model. All that yucky stuff you mention takes WORK!
    My son has only two teachers that are decent, & one of them is a filthy Leftist who not only grades emotionally but teaches Dan Brown's anti-Christian conspiracy garbage as if it's historical.

While you can accurately blame CC on NCLB's idiocy, the execution was utterly corrupt. Which is unsurprising if you research the people & groups behind it.

New York is a perfect exemplar of why "school choice" ought to be the norm (as it always used to be).