Any reason to choose some else merc than from act2?

TrubbaNot

Diabloii.Net Member
Sleepless said:
@Watermoon: Does rouges = rogues in english ? (not to nitpick you in any ways, I t seems a lot of people use it too). When I look at it for the first time, I always read 'red' :D
I'm not Watermoon, but I'll answer this. "Rouges" is a very common typo/misspelling, and does not equal rogues. But that's what they're doing when they get lost -- they're busy applying makeup. :lol: That is, when they're not doing Riverdance. That always gives me a good laugh in the Jail.

My necro has kept his rogue despite having found a decent spear for an A2 -- he just hasn't had reason to let her go. We'll see what happens when he reaches Kurast. (He's still in Normal.)

Stony

Diabloii.Net Member
An Act II merc is hard to beat if you have any use for one of the available auras-- which most characters do. But Rogues and Iron Wolves can work by providing a source of elemental damage. If you have a tanking character with limited sources of damage, Rogues work well, and even an Iron Wolf can help if he remembers to use Glacial Spike.

Stony

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
happyfamine said:
...but without spirit there are no real good sword options for him.
I forget, can act3 mercs can equip knives? If so, Spectral Shard is a definitely a decent weapon for them (50% FCR, 10% Resist All).

[hijack] ... hmmm ... I'm betting this might be a handy weapon on a singer barb. [/hijack]

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
^ No they can't equip daggers. That includes wizardspike, which is even l33ter than spectral shard because it has 50% FCR and 75% All resists. Singerbarbs love that too.

happyfamine

Diabloii.Net Member
sirpoopsalot said:
I forget, can act3 mercs can equip knives? If so, Spectral Shard is a definitely a decent weapon for them (50% FCR, 10% Resist All).

yeah, no daggers. if no spirit then then next best option is silence for the fhr and skills, as well as mf and 75 res all. but it requires a vex. untwinked, my char was able to build two spirits. i've never, ever found a vex. and given the choice between the two i would still pick spirit for the merc.

if you really wanted to you could give him a 6 facet phase blade. but i'd pick spirit over that too.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Silence for an Act3 merc? o_O
Just give him a Culwen's Point... you lose some good stuff but it's a whole lot cheaper!

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
Liliel said:
Silence for an Act3 merc? o_O
Just give him a Culwen's Point... you lose some good stuff but it's a whole lot cheaper!
You might as well use a sword with 6 rainbow facets then :)

Anyway, I use non-act II mercs as supporting chars, very often in the form of curses.

Act III can carry a medusa's gaze with ctc lower resist. Fantastic for my lightning zon!
Act V does massive undead damage/ctc amp with vile husk, (for my thrower, no beserk) or weaken with doombringer (icing) etc.
Act I have IS, elemental and some hit-monster flee/CB(rattlecage) can help weaker melee chars (eg. meleemancer etc). It doesn't get in the way of boneprisons either.

Humphrey

Diabloii.Net Member
My necro's act 2 merc is just a walking aura really. He seems to always walk behind my minion swarm, so things are often dead before he gets there. It also means I don't have to worry about him triggering monsters, cos the swarm does that first.

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
I think it would be hilarious to give an Act 3 merc an Azurewrath. He still wouldn't use it, but he'd have the aura.

Of course, that's me forgetting that the Barbs can wear that too...