Any reason to choose some else merc than from act2?

SirMurdalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Any reason to choose some else merc than from act2?

Hi!
I tried to find out by searching forums, but it seems that very often people use act 2 merc. There are only few threads i found that people use something else.
Is there any reason ever to use some other merc or are they just so much worse than act 2 merc?

I know that with some sorcerer build it's ok to use act 1 merc, but are there other builds where i could use act3 or something merc? The problem is that i have very limited amount of gear for act 2 mercs, because my every merc is from act 2.

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
In 1.09 I used to love act 1 mercs, but in 1.10 they fixed the lightning hose bug, plus it seems like somehow they don't survive like they used to and wander into trouble a lot more. The main problem with act 3 mercs is all the immunities in hell leave you with a useless sidekick a lot of the time. I've seen and heard of several people putting act 5 mercs to good use too. And some people still do use a1 mercs, just that overall, act 2 mercs are the best because of the auras and the chance to give them huge damage with the right eq.

San

Diabloii.Net Member
Humm.. I guess if you made something like a big tank Paladin with high level Holy Shock/Freeze, you'd have to put up with doing damage of a single element. With physical backing, it could deal with the certain immunes, but for example you encounter some pesky light immune, when you have a 1-8000 lightning damage attack, if you have an act 3 cold merc, it freezez up the target, deals some damage, and you hack away at it with your ~40 crushing blow equipment.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
No matter how you look at it, the only reason to do so is style. Act 2 mercs are just plain better than the other 3, no competition.

San

Diabloii.Net Member
Tarr said:
..., just that overall, act 2 mercs are the best because of the auras and the chance to give them huge damage with the right eq.
Humm.. might be true sometimes, but if you find a 400 ed ethereal colossus blade, give it to me, and I won't have to think for long about choosing an act 5 merc :)

It just depends on what good equipment you happen to find first, that is appropriate for certain mercs. If you find the weapon I mentioned there, you'll prolly want an act 5 merc, but if you find that eth Reapers..?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
There are not that many character builds where a specific merc is absolutely vital in order to make progress. That usually leaves room to go with any merc type you want.

EDIT: SPF Tournament rules can be one reason to go for another merc type. Like in "my" Set/Unique worshipper tournament, where all participants who made it far ended up with act 3 mercs (since they can equip more items :D ). Since my barb wanted to hork all the corpses, I used a Lightning Mage. He became quite useful in the late game, thanks to his high level, Skin of the Vipermagi and Lidless Wall.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Style points is basically the main reason to use something other than Act 2. Or, in my case, it's more like just being sick to death of them.

My spearazon uses a Rogue merc, because 1. she has Inner Sight, 2. she avoids combat and dies less and 3. Valkyrie and Decoy take care of much of my tanking needs. In all honesty I could probably use a Blessed Aim merc. But Rogues are prettier.

A few sorcs I've had use an Act 5 merc because none of the auras are great for sorcs (especially cold sorcs that don't need HF so much). They have a faster regen rate and more life.

I have yet to use an Act 3 merc, but the cold one should be useful for certain builds for that freeze effect. Maybe I could make a Javazon with one.

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
ACt 5 barb merc is good for his aggresiveness, my lit sorc love him a lot. Wear him a eth blackhorn, eth upped crainte vomir, and eth shaft then watch baal just standing there doing nothing. His main purpose is not to inflict damage but tank and to slowdown bosses. CB is better than damage, wear him bulkathos collosus, upped rattle cage and guilaume. But this way his survivability is decreased a lot.

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
I just thought I would put a couple more "good things about Rogue mercs" out there.

1) They are more likely to let you pull enemies away from those who would resurrect them. (The first time I used an Act II merc I was ready to toss him out the window everytime I had to deal with Greater Mummies.)

2) They have good elemental damage, which complements a physical damage build nicely.

3) If you have teleport, they can safely take out enemies during a retreat, and they can shoot across moats and such. (Nice for the river of flame and Arcane sanctuary.)

4) They are nicer to look at. :)

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, 90% of my characters have a Rogue for a merc. Simply because of:

1) I feel disturbed with any other merc. Ever wonder what happens when you quit D2 and your character and his/her merc is left alone? :(

Also, some Bonemancers prefer Rogue/Iron Wolf over Act II mercs anyday. Fire Rogue is most common, since if they have a secondary tree in summons, Ice tends to screw that up.

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
I always use Act 1 mercs unless a tourney forbids it.

I tend to use a cold rouge, for my non sorc chars this is great as it gives me both range and cold damge.

in addition to Cat's points on an act 1:

-rouges don't wonder off as bad, they tend to hang out near you rather than running off 3 screens to find monsters like Act 5s and will fall back when you do unlike act 2s.

-they will pinpoint something for you without running to it and activating all the monsters before you're ready. VERY useful on the cow level and in Baal's throne room.

-Also, not running into the fray helps reduce the damage they take, and the number of pots you have to keep shoving down their gullet.

-Normal Act 1 rouges can hit a higher level than NM Act 2 mercs.

-they're less likly to get stuck and/or start staring off into space, or wiggling on a rock/chest/pole/piece of ground....

-Or run around uslessly trying to attack the monster at the back of the pack while the rest of the buggers kill him/you off.

Sleepless

Diabloii.Net Member
Only style point really, though I heard good thing about a barb with delirium helm.

@Watermoon: Does rouges = rogues in english ? (not to nitpick you in any ways, I t seems a lot of people use it too). When I look at it for the first time, I always read 'red' :D

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
A bone mage might prefer the Act 1 Fire merc or the Act 3 Lightning merc (not cold because that gives you fewer corpses to explode) because he can simply use bone wall or bone prison as a "tank" and use his long-ranged merc for supplementary damage.

If you do Diablo or Baal runs a lot you might also want to get some a ranged merc because Act 2 mercs die easily to IM.

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
I always use act 2 mercs. But one idea I got is to give WWS to an act 1 merc for the Amp. I've never tested it though.

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
Kefir-Tribe said:
I always use act 2 mercs. But one idea I got is to give WWS to an act 1 merc for the Amp. I've never tested it though.
Unlike Reaper's (the decrep "aura"), WWS will probably trigger Amplify Damage infrequently in regular battle. In long battles against sturdy boss monsters, though, it would surely be useful.

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
Having completed Act III with my paladin, I'm just about ready to never use these morons again. Not that barbs are any better at not getting themselves killed or anything but they're much more fun. My secret shame is that I love Iron Wolfs. Especially the fire ones. They're just so rarely useful though!

happyfamine

Diabloii.Net Member
if you use runewordmod, spirit runeword makes a3 mercs quite viable. i guardianed an untwinked avenger that had a cold merc the entire time. end equip was spirit sword and shield, stealth and a circlet with 20% faster run/walk and + 15 str, which i then added 2 pamythests to so he could use the shield asap.

+skills are not that important on them. fcr is the most important, followed by fhr and r/w. the fhr and r/w help them live because of of how the ai works. when they get surrounded they run to a new spot and shoot again. the faster he can do that, the better.

once you get used to him freezing enemies solid for you it is hard to go back to an a2 merc on a melee character. it feels like the a2 mercs lead and you help them out, but the a3 merc actually helps you. but without spirit there are no real good sword options for him.

foosnark

Diabloii.Net Member
happyfamine said:
it feels like the a2 mercs lead and you help them out
That's what I don't like about them. Feels like I'm playing MP with a moron who has a lot of "Leeroy!" moments :p

Zavior

Diabloii.Net Member
foosnark said:
That's what I don't like about them. Feels like I'm playing MP with a moron who has a lot of "Leeroy!" moments :p
Must.. resist...
LEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY MMMMMJJJJJAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAA!

ps. act2 nm mercs can reach as high lvl as norm a1 mrcs.