Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Any Rangers left?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by PallyRanger, Oct 31, 2006.

1. PallyRanger

PallyRanger IncGamers Member

Any Rangers left?

Hi Folks!
    I have been out of the loop for a LONG time and I was just wondering if anyone uses rangers anymore? Last time I played was right around ver 1.09 so I was just wondering since I don't see too many posts about them.
    Must be new runewords by now that have boosted rangers right? I'm actually thinking about firing up the game again...is everyone packing super-duper gear now?

-PallyRanger (retired)

2. jbarlak

jbarlak IncGamers Member

I am currently making a Fire/Ice Ranger, but he is only @ level 15. I do have an "ICE" runeword bow and am unsure what armor I want to use later, since I am thinking about "Dragon" armor when I use my KUKO. He is still in the works.
    Thank you
    John B.

3. MrKaxe

MrKaxe IncGamers Site Pal

Mine was great with just mediocre gear (150%ed kuko with shael, spirit forge with ias jewels, infernostride, lavagout, +3 off aura amu with 75% poison red, razortail, one off aura charm, lore bonehelm {lol} and buri on switch) at lvl 60 and his dmg stomped but i just lost him to lag :sad2:

Build one and have fun :thumbsup:

4. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I'm a big fan of the new Harmony runeword on Rangers. It comes with a Vigor aura while equipped, which makes the game a lot easier, since any ranger worth his salt knows that half the battle is staying away from the enemies. It also has some really tasty elemental damage (iirc, 315 average rainbow elemental damage), so you could run Conviction as your main aura (which would crank the elemental damage way up *AND* solve any AR issues you might have in one fell swoop), and then load up on elemental damage charms and gear.

5. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

I made a ranger with lvl 38 holy shock and widowmaker bow.

He is great fun for low level rushes. Just walks thru and everthing melts.

I found if very difficult to achieve max resists in hell without a shield.

A bow is a hard weapon to use because you don't fire very fast.

He mainly uses grief PB now and hits with like 8k damage very fast.

6. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that Conviction's range is often shorter than you want it to be, and a Paladin only has his merc to tank for him. Half the battle is staying away from enemies, but often that'll mean they're not being Convicted.

7. jbarlak

jbarlak IncGamers Member

He is not a ranger if his main weapon is not a bow :( We must keep all rangers pure and use the bow only. I know its tough but it is fun trying to keep your distance from your enemies.

8. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal IncGamers Member

I was just thinking about the same thing. How about a ranger using WF "Jah" for IDT, with Fanat aura? And Kiras for maxing res? :scratch:

9. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

I started with using a bow only and found that he killed too slowly.

10. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Very true. I rely on a lot of Slows Target gear and a Holy Freeze merc, because otherwise life gets... very interesting. Best tactic is to wait for enemies to engage your merc so that you can sneak up on them and fire away while they're otherwise preoccupied.

Crossbows are allowed, too.:azn:

11. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I started with using a bow only and found that he killed too slowly.

Yeah... that's really the whole point.

12. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

I have been thinking about this kind of ranger for a while. I have had several different ones over the years and versions. I even tried some Dragoon's.

Here is my idea for a low budget starter using Harmony.

helm Lore
    armor Skins of Vipermaji
    Ammy Eye of Etlich
    ring 1 ravenfrost
    ring 2 SOJ
    belt razortail
    boots Goreriders
    gloves cleglaws

def auras

vigor 10

pre reqs and one each in meditation, redemption,salvation

off auras

blessed aim 20
    concentration 20
    sanctuary 2
    conviction 7 (more to be added)

combat skills

Blessed hammer 20

pre req

total skills spent 90

Might merc

Kelpie snare, Tals mask, Hwains armor

I'm figuring this will be a safe and fun build. Sanctuary with a decent valk and merc to hide behind, I should be able to pick off the knights so no IM to worry about, that was the reason for 2 points to give it a fair radius. (about 6 yards)
    I have a decent but not overpowering set of hammers.

hammers w/o concentration avg dmg 1200 - 1300 w conc about 3900 avg

AR is no problem with decent dex, ravenfrost and B. Aim running concentration or with conviction for PI's. Physical dmg with might and concentration should should be great. Even the valk and merc will do some dmg. With slow, cold, knockback and pierce crowd control should be cool and vigor will just make the Valk better. If all else fails can lay a hammer field and retreat, rinse repeat. Not to mention in a pinch can even throw in a revive or two. I'm sorting thru some cold charms looking for the longest duration ones I have. I want to add some long duration poison too.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and being so long winded.

Just my $.02 worth. First round is on me!

13. xGDx

xGDx IncGamers Member

I take a different approach than most I have read for the Ranger build.

Skills will roughly be:
    20 Lighting Aura
    20 Lighting Resist
    20 Fire Aura
    20 Fire Resist
    20 Salvation
    1 Prayer, 1 Cleasing
    1 Might
    1 Cold Aura

Gear right now is:
    Witchwild Bow with 2 Shael
    Vampergaze with "UM" rune for resists
    Crafted hitpower gloves with 20% IAS
    CorpseMourne with one of those unique lightning jewels that adds damage and lowers enemy resist.
    Cats Eye Amulet
    Belt is the 11% reduce damage unique belt.
    A couple crappy rings cause I cant seem to find any good ones
    Some rare boots that help with resists and FRW.

The idea is that I can deal with any set of enemy immunities because I can deal either physical, lighting, or fire damage in decent ammounts. If enemy is resistant to lighting and fire, i can still use the cold aura for a little bump to my damage.

The absolute best thing about this build is it uses NO mana. None. Mana burn means absolutely nothing to TheBlackKnight.

The magic arrow from Witchwild does wonders to help my attack rating and also a little bonus to dealing with monster resists. The resists it gives are a godsend with no shield trying to make up resistences in Hell.

My IAS is at the second to last breakpoint, and not sure if I will be able to make it to the top. Depends alot on what else I find.

Really hoping for a Ravenfrost at some point, as cannot be frozen is a pretty big deal for Rangers who really have to be quick on their feet.

I love playing TheBlackKnight! I am in Act2 Hell right now and he is doing pretty well. Corpse Explosion from corpsemourn gives me a little area attack ability, and lifetap charges on a dagger i switch out to can help me in really tight spots where i cant get things away from me, like the bane of my existence, monsters with speed increases. The iron maiden that can spawn fromt he corpsemourn also helps in tight spots and to get away from creatures as they seem to get lightly interrupted when the iron maiden damages them, making it easier to run. Hoping to find a shield with some charges that i can add to the lifetap dagger in my second slot.

14. ElmoCorruptsChildren

ElmoCorruptsChildren IncGamers Member

I've made two Rangers in the past year, and both have been successful. The first one, General_Horrify (anagram the letters to get Holy Fire Ranger), is midway through A5 Hell and is mashing Pindle for exp and loot. At lvl84, he uses Holy Fire and a Kuko bow as his main and Holy Shock and a Goldstrike Arch Gothic Bow. A lack of AR makes his secondary attack way too variable, which provoked my decision to make a new Ranger, but I'll still Pat him soon.

Ranger #2 is Apollo. He made it to A1 Hell so far sitting pretty at lvl73. He also uses HF and a Kuko as his main, but Apollo went with Fanatacism for his upped Goldstrike (and is still dreaming for a Windforce). AR is much better, along with mad speed and the ability to leech life.

Yeah, most of their resists are bordering tragic, but talk about crowd control! I suggest trying one if you're into ranged attackers and have a Kuko to spare.