any expierenced mage players here?

Ronaldo

Diabloii.Net Member
any expierenced mage players here?

hey, im looking to make a mage because they are kinda rare, strong, and for some cool style points. The setup i was thinking about is this. This is on ladder btw.

Helm: griffons eye
Armour : enigma
Wep: either a 25/25 foh stick or something else, i need some opinions on this part the most
Shield: HoZ
Ammy: Maras
Gloves: magefist or trangs
Belt: spider
Rings: 10fcr ring and Bk or Soj or sorb element ring when needed
boots: Treks or imps/tri resist booths

With this i get 75fcr which ive read is enough for a mage. My resists will be about 40 unless i use imps. so should i use the foh wep or mayb a hoto or wizspike? With wizpsike ill also hit the next cast frame and get a lot of resists but lose some a lot of foh dmg i think.

I also want to know the best skill distribution set up if there is one. Thanks for the help.

The top ramen

Diabloii.Net Member
i dont have a mage myself but my friend has a pretty good one. his setup looks almost identical to yours also so i think ur doin good. also 75%fcr is fine but if u feel u need more switch to a wizzy 4 fcr and res. looks good to me though.

vietl0yalty

Diabloii.Net Member
personally i tried both 75fcr and 125fcr on a mage and it all really comes down to how much damage you are trying to get on hammers and foh

75fcr is more aimed towards 6k-7k foh and should have around 8k-9k hammers depending on how high you wanna level him

125fcr is more aimed towards higher hammer damage somewhere around 9k-10k and lower foh which would be 4k-5k

after remaking about 2-3 times i found out that 10k hammers and 5k foh works better for me since i prefer to have blessed hammers as my main skill and 5k foh works damn well as it is ;)

Desi

Diabloii.Net Member
like viet said...it all comes down to...do you wanna be more hammer, or more foh? But here, if ur hammers are weak, whats the point in making a mage? so go with viet there..thats all just a vouch. : )

Ronaldo

Diabloii.Net Member
do you guys know about editors for single player so i can test stuff out? And if i can get my hands on 5socket +xhammer, +xconc. I can make a cta in it then have my foh stick on other switch. That can be deadly.

oneBlast

Diabloii.Net Member
vietl0yalty said:
personally i tried both 75fcr and 125fcr on a mage and it all really comes down to how much damage you are trying to get on hammers and foh

75fcr is more aimed towards 6k-7k foh and should have around 8k-9k hammers depending on how high you wanna level him

125fcr is more aimed towards higher hammer damage somewhere around 9k-10k and lower foh which would be 4k-5k

after remaking about 2-3 times i found out that 10k hammers and 5k foh works better for me since i prefer to have blessed hammers as my main skill and 5k foh works damn well as it is ;)
I'd really appreciate if you could post your setup for 10/5 hammer/foh.
Either by PM or simply here.

GalenDoUrden

Diabloii.Net Member
Usually the 7k FOH is only possible if you use a +3FOH 25/25 stick on switch. Although I would also like to see the 10/5 set-up as I've been struggling with my mage. He's almost lvl 90 with 8k hammers and 4k FOH, although I do have 2 lvls to many in Conviction on him.

vietl0yalty

Diabloii.Net Member
griffons
pally spirit
enigma
p hoto
arachs
2x bk rings
+2pally ammy or maras
trangs gloves
torch / anni
9 pcombats

with this setup you can get 10k hammers and 4.5k foh at lvl 95 and 10k/5k at lvl 97... 125fcr / 48 fhr bp / only 8%dr but imo u dont need that much unless vs windy and zons... i also have max block and 4500+life but thats with expensive gear... if anything as long as u have 4k+ u ll be fine

vietl0yalty

Diabloii.Net Member
vietl0yalty said:
griffons
pally spirit
enigma
p hoto
arachs
2x bk rings
+2pally ammy or maras
trangs gloves
torch / anni
9 pcombats

with this setup you can get 10k hammers and 4.5k foh at lvl 95 and 10k/5k at lvl 97... 125fcr / 48 fhr bp / only 8%dr but imo u dont need that much unless vs windy and zons... i also have max block and 4500+life but thats with expensive gear... if anything as long as u have 4k+ u ll be fine
also forgot to mention that you will face natural disadvantages vs windies so it doesnt matter what u do because a good wind druid will always beat a good hammerdin / hammerdin hybrid... your best bet is to make another char that can counter a mages' weakness

i might just decide to add on to the current mage guide since its a bit outdated or just make my own if i have the time and support

DarkMousy

Diabloii.Net Member
My mage is built a bit differently...

"cham" griffons
dusk nigma
"eld" hoz
p hoto
arach
dual bk rings
2/20 fcr pally ammy with dex/life
trang gloves
torch/anni
9x pcomb lifers
10x life/cold res//life/light res scs

@ lvl 92 I do 9.2k hammers/5.8k foh =D If I need fhr (pretty much just trappers/windies) I swap the hoz for spirit. I have about 4.9k life with this build, 100% vit.

DrakeTheFallen

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's a question for anyone who has a mage.
I'm going to be using:
Shako
Enigma
Hoto
bk rings
arach
magefists
treks
HoZ
Maras
9x pcombat
torch
Anni
CTA/Spirit on switch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm aiming for around 8-9k hammer damage... but I can't figure out how much I'd need to put into conc/hammer/vigor/blessed aim... I already figured out how much to put into the foh skills, so I'm not worried about that. But is there a certain way to balance out the hammer skills for maxamaized damage?

vietl0yalty

Diabloii.Net Member
DarkMousy said:
My mage is built a bit differently...

"cham" griffons
dusk nigma
"eld" hoz
p hoto
arach
dual bk rings
2/20 fcr pally ammy with dex/life
trang gloves
torch/anni
9x pcomb lifers
10x life/cold res//life/light res scs

@ lvl 92 I do 9.2k hammers/5.8k foh =D If I need fhr (pretty much just trappers/windies) I swap the hoz for spirit. I have about 4.9k life with this build, 100% vit.
do u get max block with that eld hoz setup? imo im not much of a stash person so i d rather get everything into one setup instead of having to change gear everytime i duel someone different (sometimes its necessary but vs like windies like i mentioned before u most likely wont win if hes good so it doesnt matter what u wear)

there is no right way to build a mage its just whatever works personally for you... whether u wanna be all vita with hoz or max block with spirit or 25/25 foh stick instead of a hoto

and tell me you are on east NL darkmousy if so lets duel

/w *know-how
/w *rihanna

DarkMousy

Diabloii.Net Member
I did get maxblock with base stats with that setup. I'm experimenting with a rebuild right now using slippers and dual fcr rings (well I didn't originally want to, but the ammy was kind of borrowed from my friend's hdin and he needed it back for a bit, and then his primary acct got banned for botting so yah... ammy is gone =( ) I won't quite hit my old damage unless I level quite a bit more, but I should have roughly 5k life with this setup, but I need the right rings. Since the fcr rings will have dex, I'd more than likely jah the hoz for more life. I don't play too often, so it may be a few weeks before I whisper you, since as you know you have to level pretty high for mages to be effective =(. In any event though, hoz builds should give you more life with the correct gear because you won't need as much dex (if any) as you would with a spirit build.

*EDIT: To duel windies, I drop an fcr bp and use grief pb =)