Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

any expierenced mage players here?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Ronaldo, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Ronaldo

Ronaldo IncGamers Member

any expierenced mage players here?

hey, im looking to make a mage because they are kinda rare, strong, and for some cool style points. The setup i was thinking about is this. This is on ladder btw.

Helm: griffons eye
    Armour : enigma
    Wep: either a 25/25 foh stick or something else, i need some opinions on this part the most
    Shield: HoZ
    Ammy: Maras
    Gloves: magefist or trangs
    Belt: spider
    Rings: 10fcr ring and Bk or Soj or sorb element ring when needed
    boots: Treks or imps/tri resist booths

With this i get 75fcr which ive read is enough for a mage. My resists will be about 40 unless i use imps. so should i use the foh wep or mayb a hoto or wizspike? With wizpsike ill also hit the next cast frame and get a lot of resists but lose some a lot of foh dmg i think.

I also want to know the best skill distribution set up if there is one. Thanks for the help.

2. The top ramen

The top ramen IncGamers Member

i dont have a mage myself but my friend has a pretty good one. his setup looks almost identical to yours also so i think ur doin good. also 75%fcr is fine but if u feel u need more switch to a wizzy 4 fcr and res. looks good to me though.

3. vietl0yalty

vietl0yalty IncGamers Member

personally i tried both 75fcr and 125fcr on a mage and it all really comes down to how much damage you are trying to get on hammers and foh

75fcr is more aimed towards 6k-7k foh and should have around 8k-9k hammers depending on how high you wanna level him

125fcr is more aimed towards higher hammer damage somewhere around 9k-10k and lower foh which would be 4k-5k

after remaking about 2-3 times i found out that 10k hammers and 5k foh works better for me since i prefer to have blessed hammers as my main skill and 5k foh works damn well as it is ;)

4. Desi

Desi IncGamers Member

like viet said...it all comes down to...do you wanna be more hammer, or more foh? But here, if ur hammers are weak, whats the point in making a mage? so go with viet there..thats all just a vouch. : )

5. Billweed

Billweed Banned

never mind - thought you were mage=sorc

6. Ronaldo

Ronaldo IncGamers Member

do you guys know about editors for single player so i can test stuff out? And if i can get my hands on 5socket +xhammer, +xconc. I can make a cta in it then have my foh stick on other switch. That can be deadly.

7. oneBlast

oneBlast IncGamers Member

I'd really appreciate if you could post your setup for 10/5 hammer/foh.
    Either by PM or simply here.

8. Ronaldo

Ronaldo IncGamers Member

yes please post it here. is it possible to get 10/7 or like a 9hammer/7 foh?

9. GalenDoUrden

GalenDoUrden IncGamers Member

Usually the 7k FOH is only possible if you use a +3FOH 25/25 stick on switch. Although I would also like to see the 10/5 set-up as I've been struggling with my mage. He's almost lvl 90 with 8k hammers and 4k FOH, although I do have 2 lvls to many in Conviction on him.

10. vietl0yalty

griffons
    pally spirit
    enigma
    p hoto
    arachs
    2x bk rings
    +2pally ammy or maras
    trangs gloves
    torch / anni
    9 pcombats

with this setup you can get 10k hammers and 4.5k foh at lvl 95 and 10k/5k at lvl 97... 125fcr / 48 fhr bp / only 8%dr but imo u dont need that much unless vs windy and zons... i also have max block and 4500+life but thats with expensive gear... if anything as long as u have 4k+ u ll be fine

11. vietl0yalty

also forgot to mention that you will face natural disadvantages vs windies so it doesnt matter what u do because a good wind druid will always beat a good hammerdin / hammerdin hybrid... your best bet is to make another char that can counter a mages' weakness

i might just decide to add on to the current mage guide since its a bit outdated or just make my own if i have the time and support

12. DarkMousy

DarkMousy IncGamers Member

My mage is built a bit differently...

"cham" griffons
    dusk nigma
    "eld" hoz
    p hoto
    arach
    dual bk rings
    2/20 fcr pally ammy with dex/life
    trang gloves
    torch/anni
    9x pcomb lifers
    10x life/cold res//life/light res scs

@ lvl 92 I do 9.2k hammers/5.8k foh =D If I need fhr (pretty much just trappers/windies) I swap the hoz for spirit. I have about 4.9k life with this build, 100% vit.

13. DrakeTheFallen

DrakeTheFallen IncGamers Member

Here's a question for anyone who has a mage.
    I'm going to be using:
    Shako
    Enigma
    Hoto
    bk rings
    arach
    magefists
    treks
    HoZ
    Maras
    9x pcombat
    torch
    Anni
    CTA/Spirit on switch
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm aiming for around 8-9k hammer damage... but I can't figure out how much I'd need to put into conc/hammer/vigor/blessed aim... I already figured out how much to put into the foh skills, so I'm not worried about that. But is there a certain way to balance out the hammer skills for maxamaized damage?

14. vietl0yalty

do u get max block with that eld hoz setup? imo im not much of a stash person so i d rather get everything into one setup instead of having to change gear everytime i duel someone different (sometimes its necessary but vs like windies like i mentioned before u most likely wont win if hes good so it doesnt matter what u wear)

there is no right way to build a mage its just whatever works personally for you... whether u wanna be all vita with hoz or max block with spirit or 25/25 foh stick instead of a hoto

and tell me you are on east NL darkmousy if so lets duel

/w *know-how
    /w *rihanna

15. DarkMousy

I did get maxblock with base stats with that setup. I'm experimenting with a rebuild right now using slippers and dual fcr rings (well I didn't originally want to, but the ammy was kind of borrowed from my friend's hdin and he needed it back for a bit, and then his primary acct got banned for botting so yah... ammy is gone =( ) I won't quite hit my old damage unless I level quite a bit more, but I should have roughly 5k life with this setup, but I need the right rings. Since the fcr rings will have dex, I'd more than likely jah the hoz for more life. I don't play too often, so it may be a few weeks before I whisper you, since as you know you have to level pretty high for mages to be effective =(. In any event though, hoz builds should give you more life with the correct gear because you won't need as much dex (if any) as you would with a spirit build.

*EDIT: To duel windies, I drop an fcr bp and use grief pb =)

16. GalenDoUrden

GalenDoUrden IncGamers Member

To those who have posted their gear, what is your skill point set-up?

17. DarkMousy

20 hammer
    20 vigor
    10 b. aim
    5 conc
    17 holy shock
    16 foh
    1 convic