Any exp with water cooling PC?

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
Any exp with water cooling PC?

I plan to buy a beefed up top of the range pc (in the near future :uhhuh: ) so I am thinking about overclocking & water cooling as an option.What I need to know is has somone here done it? what's your exp & is it worth all the hassle with installation in terms of performance? & is it safe? *leak can screw everything I reckon?*

Rik

Most home kits are a pain in the ass, you need to change water and inspect it every once in a while. If a pump burns out you can be in trouble, or worse yet a leak.

You really shouldn't need to overclock if you get a higher end system. The benefits are pretty small and it will void a warranty. It is really a hobbiest kinda thing.

If you are dead set on it look into something called "Sapphire", it is meant for firefighting so it may be hard to get ahold of if you aren't a fire department. Anyway the cool thing about it? It doesn't destroy electronics like water does. I don't know how close it is to water in terms of thermal properties, but it is worth looking into.

http://www.fs-world.com/Print.asp?id=3222&url=http://www.fs-world.com/Show.asp?ID=3222&Form=5

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
I've had some experience with water cooling... but I don't think spilling a drink over my keyboard counts does it? :lol:

P.S. Love your new 'tar!

KnightFall

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Water cooling isn't worth it, IMO. If you simply must lose the fans spend the extra buck and go compression.

masterazn

Banned
Tom's Hardware Guide makes it look really easy...but yeah, I don't think it's worth overclocking a high-end system because you'll have a killer computer anyway. Why risk it?

SharnMes

Diabloii.Net Member
Savage said:
Water cooling isn't worth it, IMO. If you simply must lose the fans spend the extra buck and go compression.
Hmm what do you mean by compression? I havent heard of that I think. I HATE the noise from the fans in my comp and thought about going the water way BUT if theres a better and more safe method I woul really like to know :D

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I think you get 1500 exp for installing it plus 50 exp for each time you clean it.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanx for the input everyone-I guess its not worth it then.I also checked tomshardwareguide & I really dont think its a good idea now:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050609/water_cooling-03.html

Instead, enthusiasts use what is called a heater core. The most popular heater cores for water cooling are those from the 1984 Chevrolet Chevette and 1977 Pontiac Bonneville, due to their perfect sizes for full tower cases. The Chevette core has the correct surface area for a single 120 mm fan, while the Bonneville core is large enough to accommodate two. These can be purchased at most auto repair stores for between $20 and $30.
:cheesy: :cheesy:

Kawaii said:
Yeah, I think you get 1500 exp for installing it plus 50 exp for each time you clean it.
:mad: :p .I work in the airline industry,its natural for me to shorten words.I've been flamed already for that in the barb forum.

Rik

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
rikstaker said:
:mad: :p .I work in the airline industry,its natural for me to shorten words.I've been flamed already for that in the barb forum.
I work in the forum industry, it's natural for me to nitpick.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
Water cooling shouldnt be that much of a pain IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL IT. If it's your first time make sure to ask someone thats already done it b4 to help you out, or at least check out some online iinstructions.

As for leaks, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM. Most people automatically assume that if you put an electronic component in water then its fried, THIS IS NOT TRUE. Make sure that if you are going to get water cooling GET DEIONIZED (DISTILLED) WATER. THIS IS VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT. Deionized water actually is a very poor conductor of electricity. But still leaks can be a pain b/c you have to fix them and replace water, reinstall/check pipes, etc.

Make sure to clean out ur water pump at least once every 6 months if not more.

And lastly getting water cooling, while it is an excellent idea for cooling since it allows you to OC like mad (assuming you get OC friendly parts), it does limit the upgradability of your machine.

Just a few things to keep in mind. Never be scared to try something new as long as you have someone there to help you out.

EDIT: also just to let u know if ur biggest reason for getting water cooling is for pure OC/noise purposes then its probably not worth it. Water cooling, when you buy the wrong brand/install it incorrectly, can be pretty noisy themselves.

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
SharnMes said:
I havent heard of that I think. I HATE the noise from the fans in my comp and thought about going the water way BUT if theres a better and more safe method I woul really like to know :D
If that's the only problem, why don't you buy noise cancelling headphones like I did? Much cheaper, just as effective, less risk, and you can avoid hearing the screams of your mother telling you to get off of the computer. :D

Rius666 said:
As for leaks, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM. Most people automatically assume that if you put an electronic component in water then its fried, THIS IS NOT TRUE.
I'm more worried about running too low on water and burning everything out. . .

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
That's why if you detect a leak you fix it. Also it's why you check up on ur water supply every once in a while. Or use ur mobo's thermometer to check the temps.

I'm not saying that a leak isn't anything to laugh at, just saying that many people think that if you have a leak then ur entire system is fried. Thanks for bringing it to my attention tho :) i shoulda been more specific about what I was referring to.

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
One would think that a water level sensor wired to the mobo's shutdown function would be easy to make...

Kawaii said:
One would think that a water level sensor wired to the mobo's shutdown function would be easy to make...
I am under the impression he isn't too deep into this kinda thing and that may be a bit advanced.