Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Any bikers in the OTF?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, May 4, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Any bikers in the OTF?

Curious as to whether anyone here bikes--and I don't mean dirtbikes or hogs. I'm talkin fat-powered guys with two pedals and an uncomfortable seat.

Back in my high school days I used to do a lot of mountain biking. For anyone who's familiar with Evergreen, CO, I used to live about three blocks from Elk Meadow park, and would bike up Bergen Peak pretty regularly when I wasn't just riding my bike around the very hilly neighborhood of Hiwan. And all that at 7000 feet.

Needless to say, I'm not in that kind of shape anymore. I doubt, in fact, that I could even make it up the first hill I came to anymore, but I want to get back on a bike. I recognize that I'm starting to push the seams on my clothes, and want to do something about it, and now that it's spring here in Virginia I wouldn't mind something outdoors. I always loved riding my bike, so that's what I'm thinking about.

That said, I've always ridden mountain bikes, complete with shocks and special shifters and such. I know mountain bikes, know how to ride them and enjoy the hell out of flying over a hill at 30 mph on a mountain bike. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near mountain biking country. I live in the suburbs, and fairly flat suburbs at that. So I suppose I should be looking at road bikes.

Anyone know anything about this stuff and what I should look at? I haven't been on a bike in almost 6 years, so I have a feeling my concepts are a little outdated (damn that makes me feel old).

Also keep in mind that I want to stay on a reasonable budget if I decide to buy a bike, and might be splurging for a bike for Aeval as well so she can bike with me, so I don't want some $1800 graphite-bodied NASA technology bike. Ideally something in the $300 range, but I could consider going higher if that's not realistic for something of decent quality that will last me.

2. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

i have a bike at home i ride sometimes.

thats about it.

3. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Two wheels are better than one

I used to bike but I haven't the time (or a bike) anymore. It took me twelve years to learn how to ride a bike but only 2 years to walk...go figure.

The bike I had to use was more than 30 years old (yes, I was poor) yet it still ran well because my grandparents had kept it in great shape. I finally sold the thing for $60 to an antique dealer, which is why I don't have a bike today.

4. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I am a cyclist as well... I have done mountain biking and road biking, and even some racing. I just bought a new mountain bike last week, actually.

If you're out to find just a standard regular-use bike, given your location as you've described it, you can look for "urban" bikes. They're kinda between mountain bikes and road bikes: No fat, knobby tires and crazy suspension, but also no skinny dime-edge tires and curled handlebars. They generally are quite comfortable. They can handle light off-road use whereas road bikes won't. They're basically a hybrid bike. I've seen a few at the local department store for anywhere from 89 to 250 dollars, but of course you COULD go to REI and spend 3000+. But anyway, the cheap ones are decent but not great. Unless you have very specific needs, a cheap one will do just fine. As your familiar with bikes already, just check things like the gear ratios and shifting equipment to see if it's acceptable. I prefer center-pull brakes to cantilever brakes, and quick-release wheels to bolted wheels. Generally, you won't find those on the 90 dollar bikes but on a 200-300 bike, you'll probably have at least a front wheel with quick release and better brakes. Most seat posts these days are quick-release too, which is a welcome change from just a few years ago. Although, if you're not mountain biking, you'll probably not ever need to change the seat once you get it right.

Some of these new bikes have such crazy frame designs that they've left no room to attach a water bottle holder or a pump... Be aware of that too.

Otherwise... take the prospective bike for a spin, check the brakes, the shifting, the smoothness... if it's good, I say get it! When you get home, throw some lube on the chain, check the tire pressure, adjust the derailleurs and enjoy the summer!

5. mexicanoloco

mexicanoloco IncGamers Member

i have a sledgehammer that has shocks, pegs and that i take off sweet jumps...guess im lucky;)

6. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I have a Dimondback I BMX with.

7. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

I'm really biased on this subject so sorry......

I think people that cycle for exercise are the stupidest people on earth.

Now before I get the flames of death let me explain.

I think the sport itself is great exercise. I mean low impact on the body, you get out in the sun and fresh air, and you burn mucho calories while enjoying the scenery.

The only problem I have is that it seems to me at least that all them guys with the spandex and multi colored jersys thinking they are Lance Armstrong have no sense that thier 160 lb body on a 8 lb bike has the right to hog a whole lane and expect me in my 2 ton bimmer to cross a double yellow line to avoid turning them into axel grease.

THERE IS A FREEKING BIKE LANE YOU MUFFIN HEADED GRANOLA CHEWER!!!!

Ahhh, much better. Thanks DC for letting me vent.

I have a 20 year old Pueguot 15 speed that needs a tune up and I really should go ride off a few pounds but......

The Alpine Stereo in the bimmer is sooooo much nicer when cruising in Malibu.

R++

8. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I have to agree, seeing these 40+ yrs old men and women in spandex is not what I call a fun time. They bike along like they own the streets.

9. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

Of course in the hills where I live there are a few hotties in thier 20's that give spandex a good name.

[/lecherous old man]

R++

10. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

In the end we will all be a bunch of dirty old men.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

True but around here on the streets it tends to be older men and women who have money and as you said think they are pro bikers doing the tour de France. We are french up here in Montreal but not that french!!

12. chicagobullit

chicagobullit IncGamers Member

i've been mt. biking for about 17 years now and there's nothing that i like more. i live in chicago where it's flat, but there are some decent xc trails within a short drive from here. i also ride road, urban, dirt jumps, and downhill. most of my vacations are taken in popular mt. bike destinations like moab, breckenridge, fruita, or anywhere where theres a good trail. i own a santa cruz bullit, 2 schwinn homegrowns, an arrow dual slalom racing bike, and a brooklyn machine works park bike.

what kind of riding will you be doing most? i find that a 5" front and rear travel bike is great for casual trail riding. it climbs a little slow, but you can bomb on the downhills. i don't know if you've ever ridden a bike with disc brakes, after riding them for years, i'll never go back to rim brakes. if you want, you can pm me and i can send you some websites.

check out our mountain bike website at www.chicagofreeride.com and see what kind of riding we do in the windy city.

13. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Have you considered the W&OD??

That doesn't answer your bike question but I was just wondering.

14. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

i ride a proflex 4500c carbon fiber mtb. it's a 98, but everyone thinks it's new because they've never seen one before. they quit making it shortly after k2 bought them out, but it's still a sweet bike.

a few of my friends ride road bikes and they're quite a bit more expensive to get something decent, even used. i've more or less resigned myself to the fact that i'll have to shell out at least $600 to get a used bike i'll be happy with.