Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

antitrust complaint against Intel

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Agateryon, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Agateryon

Agateryon IncGamers Member

antitrust complaint against Intel

who would´ve guessed this :lol: i think this is going to be good for us buyers... since this may lower the price of cpu's from both companies so, let the fight begin :D

some of the complains about intel...

AMD said Intel’s illegal and unfair actions include the following:

* Intel has forced major customers into exclusive or near-exclusive deals;
    * Intel has conditioned rebates, allowances and market development funding on customers’ agreement to severely limit or forego entirely purchases from AMD;
    * Intel has established a system of discriminatory, retroactive, first-dollar rebates triggered by purchases at such high levels as to have the practical and intended effect of denying customers the freedom to purchase any significant volume of processors from AMD;
    * Intel has threatened retaliation against customers introduc ing AMD computer platforms, particularly in strategic market segments;
    * Intel has established and enforced quotas among key retailers effectively requiring them to stock overwhelmingly, if not exclusively, Intel-powered computers, thereby artificially limiting consumer choice;
    * It has forced PC makers and technology partners to boycott AMD product launches and promotions;
    * Intel has abused its market power by forcing on the industry technical standards and products which have as their central purpose the handicapping of AMD in the marketplace.

source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24236

2. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Where does microsoft stand on the issue?

3. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

actually my gut tells me this will only make things more expensive. lawyers aren't cheap.

4. Kugel

Kugel IncGamers Member

I'm with AMD on this one.

Intel abuses its place on market, and alwas has been abusing. If they promote a new standard, other companies have to follow it. They destroyed quite a few companies this way.

It's not that i hate intel, but i like democracy. I want to have options to choose from. And For a long time Intel was the only option. Ever Since AMD caught up (or even surpassed) Intel has been doing bull**** like this. They simply fear AMD.

BTW why on earth did somebody here metioned Microsoft? what the hell has Microsoft to do with this???

5. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

I remember seeing that microsoft will handle legal fees and all that stuff when one of it's partners/affiliates gets sued. That's why i was wondering.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

AMD isn't a threat to Intel, Intel has many times the production capabilities of AMD. Even if AMD was at full production they couldn't meet the demands of say Dell. Apple had talks with AMD, it boiled down to two things. Lack of a decent mobile chip and production speed. AMD is just too small.

You can't blame Intel for advancing, if they adopt a new technology its because they think it will make their chips better. No one else has to adopt. Intel is the Microsoft of processors, there are other solutions and many times better ways to do it . . . but they are big and can make things cheap so people will still buy it.

Intel set up a plan to give rebates if X Y and Z were met, some companies didn't meet these goals by selling more AMD machines and less Intel machines(Thus keeping them under the total quota) Intel wouldn't hold back a rebate just because HP bout 10,000 AMD units instead of 8,000 they aren't that stupid.

7. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

1) These types of allegations are notoriously difficult to prove in the court of law, rather than the court of public opinion where the little guy always has the edge.

2) Even if they were proved, it would be very surprising if Intel were penalised in any way. The endless appeals that anti-trust cases typically go through make them pretty pointless.

It is true that AMD have made Intel slightly wary due to their forays into the home-consumer and low-grade server market recently but simply put they just cannot compete in the more lucrative corporate sector because they cannot produce the yeilds required. That, coupled with how conservative (meaning resistant to change) the business sector is means that AMD really is on a hiding to nothing right now.

What we see in the home/performance gaming market is only a very small part the whole story, and the fact is that in the increaingly popular mobile sector Intel are leaps and bounds ahead of AMD. Whilst this trend continues everything will remain pretty much as they are.

That said, AMD have been a great shot in the arm for the hardware computing and industry in the last decade and I really hope they continue to challenge Intel with new and innovative products.

(P.S. glad to see you toeing the Apple party line there Kow ;))

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I don't know if I just can't figure out what this means because I don't get the idiom, if it doesn't make any sense, or if I am reading it wrong because my new contacts hurt. . .but uhh thanks.

9. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Excuse me? Innovation is a bad thing if it comes from Intel, but only if from Intel? I can't see how their work is ruining companies.

Intel was the first chipset manufacturer to support DDR2 and PCI-Express, and onboard HD Audio. How is this a bad thing?

They're trying to promote BTX, but no one's gone out of business yet. Hell, no one's even into the thing yet.