Anti Depressants

TheAmoeba

Diabloii.Net Member
Anti Depressants

Hey everybody
My doctor wanted me to try a new anti depressant and I was just wondering if anybody else has taken it and if they could give me some info on effectiveness, side-effects, ect. Effexor is the drug they want me to try.
I'm a little hesitant to try something new just because I've been slowly weaning off Paxil and I'm really close to stopping it completely. Any help would be great.
 

Damotta

Diabloii.Net Member
Didnt the doctor tell ya any of the side effects? He should have. I havent tried Effexor so I dont know how that one is like, but I have been on Paxil before and man, that stuff was horrible (as I'm sure you know, since you take it). And when I quit paxil, I went cold-turkey. Bad idea. I was dizzy and just completely out of it for a week.

I dont know how much different anti-deperesants differ from one another, but judging from Paxil, I'd be reallly wary to try any others. My advice: ask your doctor, or check out their website (assuming they have one) which would probably have the side-effects listed. Medication has different side-effects for different people, so someone who's tried it before might tell you how it worked for them, but that doesnt mean it'll be the same for you.
 

TheAmoeba

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah quitting Paxil cold trukey is a really bad idea. Sure for the first day everything is fine, the second you get dizzy once in a while but by the third day it's like having vertigo.
I checked the website and saw the side effects, I just want to know how bad they were for other people. I'm supposed to start tomorrow but I want a little more info before I spend another year weaning myself off a med again.
 

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Well, you honestly need to ask your doctor these questions about risks, side-effects, withdrawl, and etc. He is in a much better position to help you than we are.

I completely understand your anxiety about switching medications - believe me. I loathe them myself but without them I'd barely be able to function. I went through a whole gauntlet of different medications before I finally got onto one that worked for me - which, coincidently, happened to be Paxil.

The worst part of Paxil (and any anti-depressant in general) was first getting on it. It knocked me flat on my back for a good two weeks. It solved my freakish panic attack problems but turned me into a dazed slug until my body got used to it (dizziness/head rushes/inability to do much except sleep/weird dreams). After the "settling in" period (which always sucks), it really started to work for me so I could at least function halfway decently. :lol:

Now, I have never been on Effexor, but my father was for a time. According to him, it's a fairly "heavy duty" drug - the side effects will generally be temporary and similar to Paxil (which you are familiar with). He also mentioned that when he was finished with the treatment, the withdrawl was a pretty miserable experience. Your mileage may vary, of course. People react to these meds in different ways. That's all I can tell you.

Your post doesn't really tell me much about what sort of problems you've been having and how Paxil affected you. But if the Paxil is making you miserable - or not relieving your problems - it's worthwhile to try something different; eventually you'll find the anti-depressant that works for you. Work with your doctor - tell him how these drugs are making you feel and ask LOTS of questions. It's a slow and sometimes miserable process but trust me, when you regain control of your life you'll be glad you did it.
 

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
There is quite a vast amount of anti depressants. The reason for this is that everyone responds to them in a different manor.

If you really believe that problems in your life are from a chemical imbalance, you should have further biological testing done. Although this doesnt always point to a specific drug to help you, it may lead you to the best class at which point you can experiment.

The only thing you can really do is try this for a month or month and a half and measure your progress.

I suggest www.erowid.com to read up further on specifics of the many anti depressants around. Everything can be found in the plants/drugs section, under the Pharmaceutical tab. You need to know the chemical name of the drug you take, not just the brand name.

Here is the section for venlafaxine: http://www.erowid.org/pharms/venlafaxine/venlafaxine.shtml

Don't let the personal experiences sway you either way, one mans trash is another mans treasure.
 

Isolde212

Banned
Effexor is difficult to wean off of. Make sure that you consult with your doctor before you stop taking it. The side effects can become pretty bad once you go cold turkey and when you first start taking it. Other than that it seems pretty mild.
 

Njx

Diabloii.Net Member
www.bluelight.nu

Has alot of drug discusiions, do a search on anti depressants or the one in mind, many people have had discusiions about MANY of those drugs and you will be to garner some more opinions.
 

PublicEnemy

Diabloii.Net Member
TheAmoeba said:
Hey everybody
My doctor wanted me to try a new anti depressant and I was just wondering if anybody else has taken it and if they could give me some info on effectiveness, side-effects, ect. Effexor is the drug they want me to try.
I'm a little hesitant to try something new just because I've been slowly weaning off Paxil and I'm really close to stopping it completely. Any help would be great.
I don't believe in drugs that can heal depression.Depression can be healed without the help of any drug.
Just go outside.Walk under the sun.Focus on things that you like.Meet the people that you love.Depression will then go away.
 
PublicEnemy said:
I don't believe in drugs that can heal depression.Depression can be healed without the help of any drug.
Just go outside.Walk under the sun.Focus on things that you like.Meet the people that you love.Depression will then go away.

Do you know anyone with diagnosed depression? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Depression isn't just feeling a little bit down because your day didn't go well. Depression can be caused by a lot of things, a lot of those things a person has no control over.
 

Isolde212

Banned
PublicEnemy said:
I don't believe in drugs that can heal depression.Depression can be healed without the help of any drug.
Just go outside.Walk under the sun.Focus on things that you like.Meet the people that you love.Depression will then go away.

I completely disagree. It's been proven that dopamine and serotonin levels are purely chemical and no amount of sunlight and or socializing can replace levels that are deficient. I do however believe in psychosomatic depression where a person can just become blue. However there are people out there (like myself) who truly do suffer from chemical imbalances and no amount of natural or personal healing would make one iota of difference. I have been to at least seven psychologists in my day and they all have their theories and I didn't feel like myself until I started taking anti-depressants. I don't knock your belief system or anything because if that is what works for you that's fine but you can't generalize that everyone's depression will go away just by distracting themselves.
 

Hatsepsut

Banned
Geeno said:
There is quite a vast amount of anti depressants. The reason for this is that everyone responds to them in a different manor.

If you really believe that problems in your life are from a chemical imbalance, you should have further biological testing done. Although this doesnt always point to a specific drug to help you, it may lead you to the best class at which point you can experiment.

The only thing you can really do is try this for a month or month and a half and measure your progress.

I suggest www.erowid.com to read up further on specifics of the many anti depressants around. Everything can be found in the plants/drugs section, under the Pharmaceutical tab. You need to know the chemical name of the drug you take, not just the brand name.

Here is the section for venlafaxine: http://www.erowid.org/pharms/venlafaxine/venlafaxine.shtml

Don't let the personal experiences sway you either way, one mans trash is another mans treasure.
The only sensible reply so far imo, not much else to add.
 

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
my friend had an experience with such things. he fell in a crisis and he didn't have any money then he found his mother's pack of anti depressants and started taking them like candy. really bad stuff. don't anything about that one though. anyways i try not swallowing that stuff. but definetely there will be side effects IMO
 

Anakha1

Banned
PublicEnemy said:
I don't believe in drugs that can heal depression.Depression can be healed without the help of any drug.
Just go outside.Walk under the sun.Focus on things that you like.Meet the people that you love.Depression will then go away.
If you believe that then you don't know what true chronic and medical depression is. Chemical imbalances that effect mood will not be cured by a stroll.

I was on effexor for 2 years. I weaned off it. Yes, it's hard for the first week and the symptoms don't really go away until the end of the second but it really wasn't that bad. Basically I had waves of dizzyness that felt like an inner ear problem. Nothing to get all riled up about at any rate. The drug itself was very effective. Instead of body slamming your brain chemistry or making you feel like your head is wrapped in a 3 inches of wool, it makes you feel a lot like your normal self with minimum side effects while using it. I never had any.
 
Top