Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Another step closer to banning Pit Bulls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Another step closer to banning Pit Bulls

Killed by his own pets. Terrible way to die, mauled by dogs. They just snapped one day...

I'll have to reconsider adopting a pitbull pup. I think I want a dog that I can beat if he's going to chew me up.

2. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

HOnestly, pitbulls are not the ones who bite the most frequently. Get one of the pitbulls that had the aggression bred out of it if you are afraid of it. Hell, just showing fear can provoke an attack out of any animal.

With that kind of thought, lets ban anything bigger than a pitbull!

3. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

Lets just ban all domestication of non food animals, cause, iguanas can attack, chihuahas can attack, parrots can attack, cats can attack, hell, some types of fish will attack unprovoked.. .

4. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Sure, they call CAN attack; it doesn't mean they will. But, some animals are more likely to attack than others... Those are the ones that are most dangerous. I've heard dozens of cases of pit bulls killing kids... can't say I ever read about the deadly iguana attack too often.

As far as "breeding the aggressiveness out" of violent dogs: Are you willing to risk your child's life to see if it worked? Certain dogs simply shouldn't be pets unless the right conditions are met, such as: no kids; experienced dog handler is the owner; etc.. etc..

5. Raistlin Majere

\
    Seriously, lets ban all small dogs! the bloody things bite 10,000 times more often than pitbulls!

6. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Absolutely, those Labs and Goldies are big, mean, vicious dogs ... :eek:

Back off mean dogs!!

7. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Size isn't the issue. I think I can take a cuddley poodle.

http://www.dogexpert.com/HomePage/Examples.html#Anchor-49575

In the above report of cases involving dog attacks, you'd notice that "severe" and "fatal" attacks are done by pitbulls.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Cuddly poodle. Hah! I watched my fiancee's mother's cuddly poodle tear her father's hand open last Christmas. Cuddly my arse.

It comes down to training the animals properly. They are very powerful and potentially dangerous dogs, and require the training and respect to go along with their size and power. Not training them properly is a hazard, frankly, and I might be inclined to support legislation that would require a license to own one (the licensing process requiring the dog, owner, and all members of the hosuehold to go through training and check in periodically with the training to have it updated or revisited).

That said, I won't support banning the dogs altogether, unless we're going to ban German Shepards, Rottweilers, Dobermans, St. Bernards, Mastiffs, Great Danes, and any other dogs that are large and powerful enough to cause severe damage to people.

EDIT: An interesting bit on banning of dog breeds to counter your source.
    http://dogs.about.com/cs/breedprofiles/a/apbt_bsl.htm

9. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Let's not forget adding ferocious killer rabbits to the ban-list!

Introduce a 'dog license' and make anybody that wants to own a dog learn how to handle said dog.

10. Raistlin Majere

I agree, I believe certain breeds should have a manitory obedience class as well.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Fully agree, if you've seen monty python and the holy grail, you'll know, rabbits can be lethal! :D
    Anyway, a dog licence is a good idea, but really every dog is different. Some pitbulls will attack unprovoked, others are as cuddly as a cat.

12. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Much of it comes down to how they are trained and treated, not the breed.

13. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

hey! i don't want to get banned! :(

anywho, if pitbulls are banned then all dogs should be banned. nothing more logical than that. most of the times its not the dogs fault, its the owners fault. it all depends on how the dog is trained.

14. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

They also never break the skin.

Garbad

P.S. Grief Counselor? Wtf.

15. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

not true once a small dog bit me and almost tore off my finger :(

16. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

But you wouldn't notice the junk science aspect of the entire issue. Above & beyond completely bogus sampling and inaccurate reporting, it is just like the SUV phenomena. If an attack involves a 'pit bull', it is trumpeted as yet more evidence of how EEEVILLL 'pit bulls' are, while other dog attacks are disregarded. Drunk's article is on the money.

Further skewing of reality is achieved by focussing on 'pit bulls' due to the breed's active use in criminal and nefarious aspects, i.e. ghetto hoodlums specifically obtaining something called a 'pit bull' and training it for vicious behaviour. If a particular mutt has enough terrier blood, it gets labelled a 'pit bull'. Rottweiler (sp?) or Doberman mutts get far less of this negative attention, yet are often responsible for far more spectacular attack.

Having owned one of these wonderful animals, I can only mourn at the reputation "The Nursemaid's Dog" has earned, particularly in the U.S.

17. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

bull****. Ive seen someones face ripped open from a ****ing daschhound. Dont tell me little dogs bites dont break skin. Their teeth are SHARP.

18. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

"All cruelty springs from weakness"

A few pictures are worth a thousand words"

Some of you have seen this video....and now the rest of you should learn a few things. Please watch this one..dont just pass it up...click the link up top of the page.

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Really? When my fiancee's family toy poodle attacked her father it most certainly caused him to bleed. Cuddly little thing smaller than my cat. Cat probably coulda kicked its *** from here to kingdom come, but never bit anyone in his entire life. Dog's been alive for two years (and is even well-trained, mind you), and already attacked someone viciously enough to break their skin. All during the course of your normal playing with the dog, too. Must be a toy poodle/pit bull mutt, huh?

20. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

I have never met anyone who had been attacked by a pitbull, Bu ti know several people who have been attacked by german sheperds(my self included), bullmastiffs, huskies, and even a few who have been attacked by a bording collie!!! but no pitbull attacks....and i have know a lot of pitbulls in my life...g-no my friends dog is one of the cutest,friendly,and playful dogs i have ever met.

EDIT: and somewhat cowardly....she was afraid of the cat(pathos), although pathos did beat her up several times....