Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Another Proof that D3 exists ! Pretty tricky i must say if

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by maya, Jun 26, 2008.

1. maya

maya IncGamers Member

2. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

Re: Another Proof that D3 exists ! Pretty tricky i must say

witch means D3 is on the new battle.net 2.0 and its not a WoW style MMO(i like WoW)

3. ExtraStrongFireEnchanted

ExtraStrongFireEnchanted IncGamers Member

Well IMO Diablo doesn't fit MMO as we know the genre. Diablo's fun is all about killing hundreds of mobs, mostly alone or with a small group. Basically Diablo = everyone fights for himself, there is no 15 healers spamming heals and keeping you full health during whole fight, no fancy tactics, rather it's all about reflexes, in HC mode at least, because you never know when you gonna get unlucky unique packs, or when Diablo will change 'agro' to you, charge and bam inferno and you are dead.

Kinda hard to realise how stuff like that would fit in a world/zones populated by hundreds of people at a time. My personal guess is that D3 will be limited to maybe 20 people per game instance. Game instances will be easy to reset, they will all be random, just like in D2. But I also think D3 will be pay to play, maybe not $15 per month. On the other hand it would kick as to have a new act (thinking in D2 terms), every few months with new best MF spots to discover etc.

In any case, it is obvious such a franchise as Diablo won't be a WoW gameplay clone within different settings. For that Blizzard has potencially 5+ expansions to choose from. But again I don't really think anything short of:

1) hacking and slashing through hundreds of mobs
    2) fast MF (item hunting) runs
    3) hardcore mode
    4) more or less solo'able content

could be called Diablo.

EDIT: wanted to give some arguments for pay to play. Basically if you want good game design (not feasible to dupe or otherwise hack into the databases to alter stuff like WoW has offered) which would also need good hardware to implement and personel to maintain, you gotta pay for such a service. And no, WoW's success won't pay Diablo's servers, internet connection, employees fees.

4. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

I'm still thinking Lich King. Blizzard has a history of let downs.

I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

But, in my mind, I really hoped this Diablo would change in a huge unforseen way, allowing massive interaction with adults (instead of bnet).

But, I agree that that wouldn't be in keeping with the franchise history. Just like it wasn't with WoW.

5. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

I really hope Diablo isn't an MMO.

I loved MP in Diablo 2, and I can accept it will be 3D, but there's a lot they can do without making it an MMO and still earn bucketloads of money!

Thankfully, anecdotal evidence seems to indicate it won't be an MMO.

6. panaxos

panaxos IncGamers Member

I second that. You also know that it will work when you look at what they are doing with SC2. They basically keep the basics from SC1, throw a new engine in, do away with some units while adding some new ones and voila! This thing will sell itself.