Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Another 'out there' idea by local airhead.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ThomasJohnsen, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen Diabloii.Net Member

So - I had this little discussion with BKC in the 'Tyrael's' thread about me beginning to feel semi-rich having found Ber, Cham, Sur + more. And that started me thinking back to the happy EUScL ladder days - I would enter a char on a very early ladder, find some useful gear fast and trade gear for gems/runes until such a time as I could collect maybe 4-10 high runes. I would then give most/all away and not come back until next ladder. This ofc because to me the actual most fun thing about Diablo is starting from scratch and building up wealth - once rich the game becomes more repetitious and easier (unless ofc one is into PvP, which I am not).
    Then why don't I just play ladder still, you may ask. Well simply because the ladder is flooded with bots - everyone has their own bot and even a new ladder is filled with them. I tried escaping into HC thinking that the bots wouldn't be there, but alas - they are there too, and they're not easy to kill either (which is still fun to try though).
    Then I came here (because this site is addictive, as is the game) and love the place. Nice people and friendly community. But noone trades (well almost noone anyways) and pretty much everyone is rich (some even rich beyond any reasonable ladder standard of measurement). There are many tournaments one can enter, but none has the old 'ladder reset' feel to them (ie. no early trading and rush to get high on ladder). But then today the thought popped into my head 'why not make an SP ladder'? In case other members here, like me, miss that ladder reset, restart, trading etc.
    So my proposal is this:

* Start an SP ladder that lasts maybe 3 or 6 months. The ladder can be entered by any naked character from SP and a ladder list will be kept for HC/SP of any version people prefer to play.
    * Trading is allowed and encouraged between members on the same ladder.
    * MP'ing (ie. collaboration to have some fun with friends (or move fast) or simply to PvP with not-so-perfect characters) is allowed and encouraged. The more the merrier!!!
    * Tournaments that only allow ladder only characters can be held but should probably be kept to a relatively small amount - to benefit members who aren't interested in an SP ladder.
    * The ladder will be kept as a long-term tournament with ladder-list being zero'ed at specified time-intervals.

Does this sound like anything you would like to try? Am I just insane thinking this could be done? Do you have any ideas for changes or thoughts about the subject? Any comments welcome...

Your friendly neighbourhood semi-rich guy with a Cham
    Thomas

2. ILikeRocks

ILikeRocks Diabloii.Net Member

I remember long ago in times mostly forgotten that there were "Single player ladder" threads...

I of course am like you where I like the idea of once I am "rich" I usually just delete everything and start from scratch. I also used to enter a lot of tournaments on here, but never even went into the single player ladder ones.

I like the idea, everyone who enters can set up a trade profile and this could revitalize the trading on this forum. Unfortunately for me, I am a self found kind of guy, even when I started and played on the realms only, I would only keep what I found or a few friends that I played with would share items.

I hope this takes off, I would definitely enjoy a reason to start over though!

3. Yann

Yann Diabloii.Net Member

D2 wise I come from a similar background. I probably played the most in 1.09 (EU HC) and then played 4 (or maybe 5? I really don't remember) EU HC ladder seasons in 1.12/1.13 with various breaks in between. I stopped playing bnet for good in the summer of 2010 though, but the first 6-8 weeks of ladder were probably some of the most fun I ever had playing D2 (ok some parts of 1.09 were great, because many more people played). Was part of a good community in EU HCL, even though I often liked to play alone. You can escape the bots in HC or at least you could back then, not sure about now, you have to stay clear of the botter heaven that is d2jsp though...

I liked ladder, but in retrospect I played too much during ladder simply because it was ladder. More than most people I knew and was probably one of the richer, non-botting/cheating/jsp-using players on the realm. I'm not exactly rich in SP and have only played 1.07, which I am enjoying quite a bit for the moment.

I might join if it gets somewhat popular, since the SP community seems great

4. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

I have not played on bnet since forever mainly because it was mostly just closed communities and bots. Played in a few local private servers which was one of the best times I had playing D2. But then the player base got smaller, the servers started to allow free use of bots, godmode and whatnot and ultimately the game became "let's check what the bot found" and "PvP". I got a long break after that and got back somewhere around 1.13 introduction. Started playing SP and never looked back ever since. Played a bit of SC but it felt too easy so I switched to HC. I did 3 (4?) fresh starts from scratch for various reasons, mainly because I liked the grind. I'm so not starting over again! :D

I do like the idea of SP Ladder, but I don't think there are enough active players. Another issue is Timezone and most of us are really crappy hosts, the main reason SP PvP is mostly history now. I will most definitely participate, because I'm sure it will be lots of fun while it lasts, but to be completely honest I'm a bit skeptical.

5. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, and so many of us have aged together with the game. I daresay most of us are old farts now, with families, jobs and other RL things which must take priority.

If I had been 20 again, with no job or family to worry about, I'd hop right on every ladder. 1.00, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10 and 1.13/14

Timinator likes this.
  6. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly, in 2003, I was a university student who had MONTHs worth of holiday each year, and during my study time, I often found too much time to game. These days I only have a limited amount of leave, and when I come home from my paid job, I have to do the home/family thing.

Its funny that I do get some limited excitement from the D3 seasons until it turns into a big grind. This next one will be the last one I think I'll enjoy until necro time.

7. ThomasJohnsen

I actually wanted to wait to comment on this until a few more inputs had arrived. But I feel the need to address what I imagine to be a misconception of my intent with this idea. The idea of an SP ladder is most certainly NOT to entice members to play more or longer. On EUScL there were hardcore grinders every new ladder. And then there were grinders, normal players, leisurely players and the odd guests. And imo everyone benefitted from the ladder system. The hardcore grinders had something to really sink their teeth into and use their skills to get a rapid lead on a ladder (usually in teams). And so did the grinders - albeit a tad slower. The other players could relatively early get a jump start by purchasing mid-level items like Skin of the Vipermagi, Oculus, Humunculus etc. typically for 3-6 perfect gems each and thus be able to play the game through - maybe with a friend - without having to grind and grind bosses to get gear. The grinders would get crafting and rolling material, and the casual players cheap useful stuff to get them through the game in a rapid fashion to try out multiple builds or ideas without investing more time than they were comfortable doing.
    Not having played much PvP (like 2 times) I cannot really say what the effects of a ladder is on this aspect. I imagine though that a timed reset will allow for more new players to be able to enter this scene and play it competitively - making for a larger and possibly more fun environment. But again - this is only conjecture.

What I really wish for is a vibrant community with lots of trading, lots of PvP, lots of multiplay (like seeking for friends to play on specific weekdays for maybe an hour or two, similar to what MrKaxe has on EUHcL) - in short a resurgeance of the times of the ladder before the bots arrived.

I have never actually tried to MP in SP save through a LAN though. Is it difficult to setup servers? I have a spare computer that could easily be devoted as a server for some set amount of time every week (but I'm not rockefeller so I don't wan't it to be turned on all the time).

Well - hopefully that makes my intentions a bit clearer. Thanks for all the inputs so far.

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  8. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

While idea might have a future, PvP part might not. From what I have learned from all these years around here is that people are not interested in PvP period. For example it would be massive fun to play some lvl 30 PvP, but other standard pvp-ers were not willing to even try it, so idea never came to live. I would do it (not as a part of ladder reset though). But, we also lack host, at least host where people have less than 200 ping.

As for PvP with poor gear, it has big limitations because it is pretty much damage gaming where firesorc can 3 shot random character and so on. Also hammerdins and necromancers would be untouchable if played by anyone with any skill. This is why we used to play pvp with supercharacters because it involves a lot more strategy into playing and evens playing field a bit. But, it requires gear farming etcetc. Now there are basically only 2 pvp-ers left.

My 2€

9. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

Totally agree. I like the ladder idea also, not for people to grind hours and hours. But, It allows everyone a fresh re-start, would encourage more trading (nobody is rich..), and hopefully some MP. :)

I'll throw my vote in for a version 1.14 ladder? That way everyone can participate (assuming 1.14 works on your system).. Wouldn't need to worry about "forwarding" versions if you play 1.13. Just keep all your stuff there. You're starting from scratch anyway.

@Gripphon - I dunno about others. I'd be happy to try PvP. But, I know that I'm seriously outgunned with gear/knowledge. Maybe with re-setting for a ladder might encourage more people to try PvP? Perhaps some clan battles, like in Guild wars??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  10. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

Seems interesting idea, and would probably serve as a reason to start the fourth untwinked 99er. Once the ladder resets, I can keep that character moving in the untwinked 99er thread. :)

11. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

anyone can win a level 9 iron man tournament (level with 8 people in a game to level 9) as soon as everyone is 9 you start pvping with the gear you have/found along the way. No twinking nothing :) it is the easiest way to get into PvP :)

anyways for the idea i am up for it however time limitations make me a casual ladder player. On the other hand trading should be done by forum standards :)

12. Gripphon

Big problem with trading and PvP-ing is also the fact half of the people are 1.13 and half are 1.14.

13. NanoMist

NanoMist Diabloii.Net Member

MP aspect is definitely fun, it's just several issues, already mentioned above, that would need to be solved. The main reason I'm on 1.14 is so I can participate in the occasional community game on Bnet. I play level 9 iron man, 8 man themed character speed run to Baal, Day 1 ladder speed run to Hell Baal, etc. Nothing that requires existing characters, just make a new character and go.

Even to this day I still check and keep LLD worthy items, even though I don't expect to use it. Can't remove it from my 'MF filter'.

14. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

@Grip: Agreed, PvP has always been "I don't want to" in SPF rather than "I can't"
    I think my host should be reasonable to good now, but family pressures on bandwidth causes problems...
    Who are you counting as the two players? :)

15. Gripphon

@maxicek
    The two of us. I haven't seen Delsy this year at all, Colony vanished, Froz doesn't even wanna launch the game... I can possibly count mir too since he does join here and there, so that makes 3 of us at maximum for now.

16. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Hey! I've moved all of my old HC stashes to SC so I can join the fray. If I am ever bothered to level a SC character that is :D

17. ThomasJohnsen

#EDIT: Decided to not try this after all. Ignore this post.

Ok I will try and start this out and see if anyone is interested in trying it out.
    Currently the only ladders that will be available are 1.14 SC and 1.14 HC to keep it simple. Both will start at april first.

Reminder: Don't post your email addresses in thread - even if it is already public as part of a trade profile. If I need to have your email (in order for you to edit the ladder sheet), pls PM it to me after the ladder thread has been started. If there are many posts, I may have to divide the labor of having to add them, since I currently only can hold 10 PMs in my inbox. This reminder will also be in the very first ladder thread. Also - if you have a desire to trade on the ladder, you will need an active trader profile here, so if you don't have one go make one asap :).

You can find the ladder thread later tonight, when I post it.
    Regards Tom

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  18. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Shame, I'm so not upgrading to 1.14... Like ever.

19. ThomasJohnsen

Yeah - not too thrilled about upgrading myself. But with 3-4 players interested I couldn't see having 4-6 ladder either. So this idea is just dead before it even launched. Pity too - I think it could've been fun.

20. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

Doesn't mean im not willing to trade if you need anything @ThomasJohnsen :) i just need to create a trader profile i think