Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Another Murder In The OTF

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ev_, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Another Murder In The OTF

Between a chat I had with SSG the other day and browsing mrLang's site earlier, I think it's time we had another OTF Murder Mystery thread. It's been at least 2 years since the last one. For those who are unfamiliar, Bas saved the very first one on her site. I'm gonna put some amended rules here though, so ignore the ones in that link.

Ground Rules:

1.) Don't kill any active OTF member unless it's yourself. Let people stay in the thread as long as they like. (While you can't explicitly kill someone, you can set up situations that make it seems like they've died. See who's creative enough to write themselves out of a sticky situation.)

2.) If you absolutely must kill someone, make it a John Doe, a non-OTF member ("Oh, it's just someone from the D2 forums. Meh. *pushes body off to the side*" -PsychoFreak), a famous celebrity, etc.

3.) Once you're dead, you're dead. No coming back to life. However, you can still participate from beyond the grave. After all, what's a good ol' fashioned murder mystery without some ghosts hanging around?

4.) Don't post random crap that doesn't at least try to add to the story. Feel free to post random crap that does add to the story, though.

5.) Leave discussion out of this thread. If you're not writing "in character," use a PM, or start another thread if it's a big enough topic.

With that, I shall introduce our setting...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are cordially invited to attend the OTF Gathering, this 31st of March, 2005. Your plane ticket is enclosed, lodging is provided, and transportation has been arranged. I look forward to seeing you and many others there.

Signed,
    :)

"Who the hell signs a letter with a smiley face?" I think as I look up from the gold-embossed card I hold in my hand. The boat I'm standing on reaches the dock and I step off, backpack in hand. Already I can hear music and voices up the beach. A couple hundred steps later I am immersed in the sounds.

A private island off the coast of some country I couldn't pronounce in the middle of some ocean I wasn't sure really existed. Private cabanas, torches, and palm trees as far as I can see. Surrounded by people from all over the world, and looking at what was probably the most gorgeous sunset I'd ever seen. This was going to be one great weekend.

*BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

Thunder? I look up half expecting to be greeted with a face full of rain. Clear skies. Confused, I drop my gaze to see DrunkCajun standing in front of me, double fisting glasses of Guiness and looking very pleased with the burp he'd just let out. "Full bar! And it's free!" he says, then wanders off.

Taking his lead, I wander to the bar and get me a nice big glass of water. Mmmmm. I drop into a seat and gaze around. Everyone was here. {KOW} is sitting in a beach chair staring at his Powerbook while Durf looks over his shoulder. Aero is comparing himself to everyone to see if there were people here who look like him. London is already trying to repair the drama he'd created by breaking three girls' hearts. And Freet is wandering around holding two glasses of expensive champagne asking everyone if Zeppy has arrived yet.

Then there is the fellow next to me. Head down on the bar, empty glass next to him. I tap on his shoulder. No sign of movement. I tap a little harder. Nothing. I give the guy a swift punch on the shoulder and he rolls off the bar, out of his seat, and lands with a thud in the sand. Uh oh.

"Hey, does anybody know this guy?"

2. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

I hear Ev_'s words just barely over The Arcade Fire's "Rebellion (Lies)," a totally inappropriate song for this suddenly grim situation but nevertheless the song that is pumping through my subconscious (not my headphones, as I don't actually own the song. Yet). I walk over calmly, expecting that Ev_ has simply discovered our first truly inebriated guest. My hopes are quickly dashed, however, by two facts: A). There is no drink in front of his seat at the bar, and 2). The bloody gunshot wound square between his eyes. "Shiza!" I exclaim, leaping back from the corpse.. A murmur of discontent is making its way through the ranks of the beach-goers, and a small exodus is occuring in our direction. Ev_ looks up at me grimly. "You get a look at his face?" "Nah, I'm busily attempting not to pass out at the first sign of blood," I reply through lamaze-like breathing. "Oh my God, that man's dead!" shouts Dross in a dramatic fashion. "Do you think his death was justified?" asks Dirty_Zulu, poking his head into the circle? "I bet they tortured him first," sighs llad, shaking his head and scowling. Ev_ pulls out a handkerchief and, tentatively, begins wiping the blood from the man's face. "Anybody got any ideas?" I ask, both hands creating a wall between my line of vision and the dead dude.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I had an idea, but his wallet was already empty. Dejected I sat on the nearest stool. What you didn't expect me to make it? Sure the letter was longer than I usually like to read but somebody summed it up pretty well, free plane tickets and I'm always game when it's free.

"Are the drinks free?"
    Someone shouted back, "What are you talking about? This man's been murdered"
    "Well damnit did he work here?"

4. Ash Housewares

Seeing that drink service was less than forthcoming I perused the contents of the dead man's wallet. The poor bastard was just one buffet away from earning a free buffet at Shakey's. What kind of monster cuts a man down in his prime like this, it makes me sick. And what kind of man lay here? No library card, no driver's license, unless they were stolen, and from the grizzly look of his face his identity seemed pretty secure, but what's this, a photograph, the killer missed one crucial detail, let's have a look.

exhibit A

this is damned peculiar...

5. G0su_Hellbolt

G0su_Hellbolt IncGamers Member

Peering over Ash's shoulder I see the really wierd picture...

Thoughs start running through my head.
    "What kind of maniac lines up his mates, puts bags over their heads, and take pictures?"
    "Were they ugly as dogs then?"

Blinking rapidly and in deep thought about the picture, I sit down a mere 2 seats away from the dead body.

6. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Wondering if this is Freet's work, I peer intently at the horror before me, intent on discerning any hint of pointed elven-like ears, before turning back, with a smile, to oggle the barmaid through an extraordinarily large yard-glass of neat Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

"Ugly bird," I mutter "damn good drink."

I see a dirty oaken cask, as I cast a dreamy eye about the place, and the sad realization I was wrong hits home when I see a strange bottle filled with green liquid.

"Do my eyes decieve me? Does that bottle contain what I think it does? And if it does is it real??"

7. Ash Housewares

"hey guys, come check this out, fresh tire tracks!"

Could it be, the murder weapon? a car that shoots bullets? Thats crazy but... but nothing, another dead body, damnit, these skidmarks are from another murder.

"Nevermind guys, it's just that oak guy"

8. Sokar Rostau

I have a sneaking suspicion I know who is r++esponsible for that one...

9. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

By now my handkerchief is saturated with blood from the still unidentified man's profusely bleeding headwound. Strangely enough he left no blood on the bartop. Man I gotta find out what kind of polish that bartender uses. Hm, probably the inappropriate time to ask, but like I'm gonna get another chance.

"Yo barkeep, what do you use to wipe down your bar man?"
    "Oh, just this weird green crap I found by the dumpster one day." He holds up the bottle which contains his mystery fluid. I see Sokar staring longingly at it. Weirdo.

I overhear Ash talking about skid marks and another death. The man soiled himself to death? What a way to go.

Oh, tire tracks. Dead troll? Hm, I think we can forgive the killer for this one. I make a mental note to keep an eye on Ilad though.

10. Ash Housewares

"Green liquid? ME FIRST"

wait... this is crazy...

"you first..."

Damn I'm thirsty, I wonder if anyone else noticed the guy who greeted us coming off the plane was Ricardo Montalban, what kind of island is this?

If my fantasy comes true we'll have a few more murders tonight... indeed...

11. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

By now most everyone had turned their attention back to our original deceased fellow, but I kept a watchful eye on the troll corpse. Those things have been known to come back to life just when you think they're dead for good.

"Man, where's Freet? He usually eats these things..."

12. Sokar Rostau

"Hey! It MIGHT be Absinthe..."

Wait a second. Just wait one second here. *thinks back...*

"DA PLANE...BOSS DA PLAAANE!"

Dwarf...

Dead troll...

I think I'll just walk over and inspect the body for battleaxe wounds...

13. Ash Housewares

"No, this corpse was definitely struck by a car, I've seen alot of bodies that were hit by cars, there's some significant fracturing here that will make trunk folding easier, after all isn't that the aim? But I digress, back to our original victim, bullet between the eyes you say?"

ah but look at this...

"A glass eye, looks like Columbo won't be solving this one"
    "We've got ourselves a one-eyed body with an extra face hole, I think we might need to call a doctor"

14. Sokar Rostau

Realizing that any more references to axe wounds would be lost on American guests to the island I wander back to the bar just in time to hear Ash mention the doctor.

"I do believe it is a little late for a doctor, Ash...Unless you happen to know Dr Frankenstein's mobile phone number?" I mumble from the depths of my yard-glass.

15. Ash Housewares

Realizing my brilliant attempts at humor are lost on idiots or bungled by their clumsy follow ups, I begin to contemplate, first how to dispose of the body, and second how to get it to stop being alive, it will be tricky, hamster style or scissorhands? Finally, a drink, who cleans a bar with green beer? Perhaps the bartender is hiding something, perhaps the body was dumped from the passing car, what am I doing? Detecting or murdering? I better get my head clear.

16. Sokar Rostau

*Vows never to use Aussie slang for female body parts as a description of people again*

"Perhaps the Bartender is an Irish fella?" And perhaps that's why I thought 'she' was so damn ugly...

17. Bathmat

Bathmat IncGamers Member

I had wondered who would wish to invite us all to a place like this; who would have enough money to own (or so I presume) this island and fly everyone here. Also puzzling was how on earth whomever this ":)" was knew how to contact everyone and whom to contact. I had been unsure whether to go before thinking to myself: "What's the worst that could happen? This whole gathering turn into a death trap in which we are all successively murdered?" So of course I had decided to come.

After having spent my first hour on the island in a failed attempt at finding some chocolate, I wandered over to the bar hoping I would find chocolate there. Instead, I found a group of people poking an unidentifiable corpse with pointy sticks.

"What the heck happened? And where can I get some chocolate?"

"That's what we're trying to figure out, and over there by the nuts." Someone said without turning around, gesticulating with their bloody, pointed stick.

I wave thanks while sprinting to the chocolate, muttering 'precioussss' to myself.

18. G0su_Hellbolt

G0su_Hellbolt IncGamers Member

Finishing a quick drink of beer, I stand up only to fall down onto my seat again.

I look towards the bar and see the green slime in the bottle.

"Urgh...I really should stop drinking...its makin me see things..."

And falls asleep.

*Gosu-Hellbolt

19. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

*Enter's R++ in his freshly waxed Bimmer*

*Steps out amid the Swedish Bikini Team*

"Hello everyone I am glad you could make it"

"Yes it was I who invited you all here to my island, which was purchased after selling all my neopets on ebay"

"There is something I want you all to know, but I will wait until dinner tonight to tell you as there are still some guests yet to arrive"

"Enjoy, as the drinks are going on Durf's credit card that he left at the Gentlemens Lounge after the last party".

*R++ exits*

*Completely oblivious to the body on the ground now drawing all sorts of bugs*

20. Ash Housewares

G0su's wallet proved more useful than John... Jane...

"Is it a man or a woman? Did anyone check?"

than Pat Doe's wallet. While G0su lacked the deceased's passion for Shakey's, he did have some cash for the old college booze fund. A cursory glance revealed no guns or WMDs on his person so I returned to drinking and hiding the chocolate.