Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Another gf barb thread

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by zooply, May 8, 2008.

1. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

Another gf barb thread

Yep :rolleyes:

Okay I've been through these 2 threads:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=535863
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=512162

They were helpful but all that info still leaves me asking what's the most efficient. I am just wondering if you gave all of the different setups say, an hour, to do their runs in nm/hell and 1-8 player games (including temp bans for making games too quick), who would come out with the most gold at the end?

I think if I build one it will either be a WW, or possibly a leap/wc to keep everything stunned while my merc goes to work.

I know this is a very debatable question, so I won't be surprised if I don't get a real solid answer, but hopefully at least it will be narrowed down.

2. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

3. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

Re: Another gf barb thread

necro cant compete with barb in speed or gf amount. i recently reassigned my ultra old char (concentrate). just put 1 point in leap and find potion/item.
    merc is doing killing pretty easily with eth buged fortitude/botd war pike and CoT. i m just leapin in place, no warcries at all. point is, any barb can be goldfind barb.

4. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

True about GF mostly, I think nec can be a lot faster though, corpse explosion is an amazing skill, all you need is a corpse or two and amp.

5. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

he pointed skelly necro, which means he must get his army first...
    he can get similar gold find % (shield instead of sword) but misses one big thing - find item

6. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Infinity on merc helps too. Increases the fire damage of the CE blast.

7. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

half of the council is imune to fire (unbreakable by infinity)

8. mephiztophelez

anyone on west NL?

i'd love to have a race. start from 0 gold, whoever fill up first, my nec vs idc's barb.

i rekon it would be pretty close in gold/time. i'd do more runs, but get less gold/run.
    pindlegarden = army raised in ~5 seconds.

9. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

race with filling stash proofs nothing, cause of randomnes of gold drops and item drops (if you sell them for gold), also it is to small amount to get relevant avarage.

to fast gold runs will eventually get you bnet temp ban.

i know about pindleskin area. i didnt mentioned it cause you must have done anja quest but not nihlatak, and create your game (no random games - dia/baal runs, duells)

btw how much gold you get per run with your necro?

10. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

I meant in general. I have one such nec and he sets up the chain-reaction pretty quick, up to 4 players. Then it gets slower.

11. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

I guess this stuff still stirs up debate =P

Anyways, I'm a little on the fence. I love summon necros, but I'm still a little wary on a gf one, plus I was thinking if I do a summon necro this ladder it will probably be one with beast, decked out pride merc, etc.

I've never built a barb before, so the fact that it's new appeals to me. Deciding how I'd like to balance kill speed and gf will be irksome though.

vknez: A race would be possible. You'd just have to have more than one to get an average, and as for temp bans, well you just have to make sure you don't make games too quickly. I would believe temp bans would actually factor into a race on efficiency, as obviously it's going to be a factor with regular runs anyways (unless you choose to join games to avoid that).

12. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

barb is natural gold finder cause of find item and stunning skills. all others chars can gf but not good as barb.
    time in kill speed cant be big difference (especially cause of weaker summons) but gold amount droped for barb is potentially much bigger.

second lemed sword vs rhyme shield i.e. 450 vs 50 gf % + find item skill

i dont mind different chars (actually i'm playing lots of unortodox ones), but claiming that is necro better for gf then barb sounds little silly

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  13. mephiztophelez

huh?

starting from zero gold, first to 2 million (as a nice round number). as i've said, a barb will probably get more gold per run, but a necro will do more runs than the barb in the same period.

i propose this race as an exercise in curiosity, not as the definitive "necro > barb or vice-versa" be-all and end-all of the goldfinding debate. barbs and necros can both do goldfinding duties with ease. i just happen to prefer a necro for the task.

i WILL however, VERY confidently state (and i'll even make a bet on the outcome if there are any takers) that if the race were conducted in 8-player games the necro will win. hands down. i don't care how godly your barbs merc is, he is no match for an equally godly necro merc, skelly army, amp damage and corpse explosion in a big game.

actually, i have done the Nihlathak quest with my neccy, i just havn't tagged the Halls of Pain WP......

i don't have to go to the pindlegarden. i can actually start in Trav and summon an army from the vampires, zealots and heirophants i meet on the way to the council. it just takes a little longer. or the Cold Plains is another popular spot to get an army.

pindlegarden is just faster, and walloping pindle enough times might pay off one day.

i seem to average somewhere around 350k'ish.

14. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

500-600 k in one player game with dual lemed ali babas

15. Anthraquinone

Anthraquinone IncGamers Member

Aaah, goldfinding :afro:

Before building a goldfinder you have to decide how you want to play.
    If you want to clear whole areas, maybe in multiplayer games, then by all means go with a GF necro. If you want to do mostly travincal but also other areas while doing the killing yourself then go with an "active" goldfind barb build.
    If you, however, enjoy the sight of massive piles of gold and don't mind visiting travincal exclusively, and don't bother playing a more passive role then go with a pure GF barb with a strong merc. That's what I do :grin:

I followed Romasm's build, 3rd post in this thread:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=630753
    I didn't spend that much on my merc, though. Right now he's using an eth Bonehew [Amn,Amn], Guillaume's [Um] and a Jeweler's Ornate plate of the whale socketed with ias/low resist jewels and a Sol. I don't think that the "of the whale" is a big issue here, so an ordinary 4-sock armor with the same jewels/runes would do just as well.
    What you want for your merc is a good amount of life leech, full resists (nn for poison though), decent fhr and some crushing blow at good attack speeds. I also like #DR, hence the Sol rune; although I doubt if 7 DR in this setup makes a noticable difference.

About playing style:
    First: I have Naj's puzzler on switch; great for teleport and a little skill boost for BO.
    Take WP travi, do BO and the rest then proceed to the council. Enter the durance and return to Travi; now your merc's with you. Let him do the dirty job :)
    You can help with leaping around to stun the council and most of all prevent them from casting too many hydras. Another great and underrated skill is battle cry: free damage reduction and monsters are easier to hit. War cry might look good on paper but it costs too much mana. Moreover, most of the time there are some mana burners around.
    If things get to hot you can always tele your merc out of harms way and reposition.
    Finally do find item on the corpses and enjoy your wealth.

The only times this procedure doesn't work is if there's a conviction enchanted monster around. That means save&exit. Fana isn't that big a problem, it just means that you have to leap more often to support your merc.

Go that golden way! :thumbsup:

-AnQ

16. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Isn't it more effective to just do MF runs and sell the crap? That way you get gold *and* a chance at some real items ;) (isn't that what the gold was meant for in the firstplace (aka gambling)?)

17. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

I think use summon only you have weaker items.
    gf barb really lets his merc do all the work. but merc must be decked out.

18. deadbeater

deadbeater IncGamers Member

They cap items to 35k, even items valued at 1000000+ in vendors, which mean Blizzard want you to keep items that are dropped, if you pick them up. Besides, we gfers, necro barbie or another, are picking up rares and unique items, magic wands, staves, etc, that drop.

19. drake

drake IncGamers Member

i remember trying to make a goldfind barb that could kill, and failing miserably, even with zod/4xlem eth runemasters...

i think being a walking gf charm and letting your merc do the killing is the best way to go.

leap or warcry? i strongly suggest leap because warcry is extremely mana hungry and doesnt work on the council's bosses.

a teleport ammy is a very good way to control your idiotic merc and accelerate the process, sometimes by a lot. its worth the gf sacrifice and repair costs wont be a problem obviously.

what kind of curse? i think that battlecry helps significantly, but isnt game breaking, especially since its radius kinda sucks. lifetap from a wand makes the money grabbing safer for the merc but doesnt add to his killing speed/doesnt take care of the extremely annoying PIs. an eth reaper's toll on your merc would cast decrepify; on top of being a good weapon and taking cares of PIs, it makes thing safer for both of you

but the ultimate curse to have would be amplify damage right? well guess what, theres this little thing called the gavel of pain (unique exceptional mace) which has 3 lvl 8 amp dmg charges. each charge affects a large radius and lasts 29 seconds, so 1 or 2 charges is enough to DOUBLE, at the very least, your merc's killing speed until the run is over. repairing the thing is a bit of pain but takes nowhere near the time you save using it (go to act 4 to sell your crap after each run, the repair guy is close). i absolutely adore this item. thing is, it has a high strength req, so put a hel in it and build your char around it, otherwise you wont be able to use it at all.

for the merc's gear, botd war pike is king because of huge leech, speed and damage. theres a bunch of decent alternatives, like reaper's toll, obedience runeword, bonehew, etc. some people dont like to put an eth fortitude on him because chilling armor can freeze and shatter council members, but if you leap right and your merc kicks ***, its rarely a factor, so use it. crown of thieves will give him more gf, but andy's visage will give him one more breakpoint/killing speed, your choice.

for your gear, its quite simple: gf, gf, gf and some fire res. actually, consider sacrificing some gf for some mf, because you can actually find nice stuff there, especially jewelry which seems to drop a lot (found a 20 wisp once...): lem'd babas instead of 6xlem'd swords, goldwrap instead of a good rare gf belt, etc.

my guy looks like this and works very well:

2x lem'd ali babas
    2x lem'd IK helm
    wealth DS
    teleport/gf ammy :)
    2x dwarfs
    chancies
    goldwrap
    rare gf boots (use infernostrides otherwise)
    anni/torch/gheeds
    gf charms... (good 2nd mods = +1 warcry, fire res, life, etc.)
    switch: gavel of pain

merc (might aura):
    botd war pike
    eth fort
    andy's

skills:
    20 BO
    20 shout
    20 find item
    20 natural res
    rest in leap

20. barker

barker IncGamers Member

I was considering building one of these, but just wondering;

1. Does find item also pop gold, with the same percentages that you get from the "% gold from monsters" on equip and charms, or is the bonus only on the initial kill?

2. I read somewhere that even if you have say 40ish% find item skill (lvl 10 or so), only like 1 in 5 (20%) corpses pop something, is this true? If this is the case, what does the percent chance mean on the skill screen?