Another Diablo 2 Windows 10 Lag Issue

TwoStringAmoeba

Diabloii.Net Member
Feel free to point out if this thread is a re-post, or already resolved.

My game lags when there are one too many monsters in the area I am playing in. I am a little greedy with my request to find a way to have no lag, but alas, here is my situation:

-Windows 10 operating system
-Connected to Silo TV via HDMI
-Dell Lap Top Inspiron 7559
-Running Poison Necromancer with Raise Skeleton

The Windows 10 was already installed when my pc came in the mail.

The game was for some reason or another MORE laggy when I was not connected to a TV screen.

This lap top has a C drive along with an additional drive. I wasn't the one who put the computer together, so feel free to ask more questions and I'll give more info.

I wanted to point out I am not a summon Nec, but those little rascals seem to make things more laggy even though I am only running 8 of them so far; no Golem, Skeleton Mages or Revive minions.

When I run the computer as administrator my character doesn't show up to be selected in the char select screen. Also, I tried multiple actions in the properties: Service pack 2/3, disable fullscreen optimizations, run in 640 X 480, etc. It doesn't seem to run at all when any of these are checked.

I'll try to check back to this thread on a frequent basis to execute actions provided or provide answers to questions. I love this game so much I'll still play with the lag if I have to, but obviously I would prefer not to if given a choice.

Shinra Beelzebub

Diabloii.Net Member
Run the game on administrator if you don't do that already.

Aside from that, the most obvious reason this game, without any real system requirements, lags is that the game is sooo old that modern pcs and D2 don't like each other. So the important question, are you using the newest diablo2 patch (1.14d), plugY or another mod? (Careful, patch 1.14 and plugY don't like each other either)

Also, you might try that and see if it helps:
Right click your diablo 2 shortcut and click properties and where it says target it should look something like "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"

At the end of this you will add a space and type -w so it will look like
"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w

TwoStringAmoeba

Diabloii.Net Member
Run the game on administrator if you don't do that already.

Aside from that, the most obvious reason this game, without any real system requirements, lags is that the game is sooo old that modern pcs and D2 don't like each other. So the important question, are you using the newest diablo2 patch (1.14d), plugY or another mod? (Careful, patch 1.14 and plugY don't like each other either)

Also, you might try that and see if it helps:
Confirmed: I added a -w to the target, and the game is running smoothly. I assume adding the -w made the screen smaller?

I have the D2 USB version from the Diablo 3 purchase. I didn't want to update the Version from 1.12 to 1.14 on BNet in case I wanted to add Diablo 2 to another pc if I needed to. My question is this: if I update Diablo 2 via Bnet, will I still be able to download D2 to another pc with the same cd key?

Running the game as administrator has my Char not showing up for some reason.

Shinra Beelzebub

Diabloii.Net Member
I have the D2 USB version from the Diablo 3 purchase. I didn't want to update the Version from 1.12 to 1.14 on BNet in case I wanted to add Diablo 2 to another pc if I needed to. My question is this: if I update Diablo 2 via Bnet, will I still be able to download D2 to another pc with the same cd key?
With one CD-Key you can download and play D2 on as much pcs as you want. The only thing you would need a new key for is when you want to log into battlenet with more than one account (or have more than one account on battlenet)
(By now I have downloaded (and upgraded to 1.14d) on 3 notebooks. With just one D2classic and one expansion key. Only have the keys and download everything else from blizzard.)

ps. adding -w should exit the fullscreen and change the game to windowed mode.