Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Another Columbine-Style Rampage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MixedVariety, Mar 22, 2005.

1. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The bookie says:

"blame video games" 3 to 1 odds
    "blame the internet" 2.5 to 1 odds
    "blame alternative music" 2.5 to 1 odds
    "blame kid's family for failing to keep him from going angry nuts and getting his hands on serious firepower" 150 to 1 odds

3. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

hmmm....

150 bucks on lawsuit against gaming industry

but really...not much we can do now except mourn, or listen to jeremy by pearl jam

personally, i'd like to blame all forms of modern death-metal like rock

4. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I predict a pseudo-documentary, "Badminton for Red Lake".

I noticed that this was on an Indian reservation and I wonder if the media will place blame on poor conditions on reservations.

5. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

Well this happened like 10 miles from my girlfriends house. Scary stuff. We were on the way home from work and saw tons of cops flying up the road. Get home and her mom tells us what happened. I can say that the conditions on the Red Lake reservation are pretty bad, and I am not totally surprised that this happened there. lots of desperation there. Poverty. Drugs. I just hope the media doesn't blame the media, and people really look at what really lead to this, and try to fix it. Look for a movie called "Skins" takes place on a res in the Dakotas but the conditions are pretty similar to what they are in Red Lake. I also hope that people don't start saying things like "those damn Indians blahblah blah".

6. Phantom_Man

Phantom_Man IncGamers Member

God, people are so unoriginal these days. If you're going to go on a rampage, atleast do something different.

7. Empired

Empired IncGamers Member

I heard that on the radio in the bus this morning. Me and eight Swedes. "There's been another tragic school shooting in America..."

Everyone looks at me. Talk about awkward.

8. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I would like to hear more about what you said here.

I freely admit I don't know anything about how these people live.

9. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

lets ban guns!

10. Night

Night IncGamers Member

A very sad event. :(

I'm already pissed at the circus the news companies will make of this.

11. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

Well the latest I just heard is that there was some involvement with a "neo-nazi" website. The shooter appearently went by the name of "angel of Death" on this site. It sure didn't take long did it?

12. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

wow horrible.

my best wishes to their parents and relatives.

13. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Weird synchronicity. I saw Elephant last night, just a few hours before that happened.

Poor kids. It's a bad thing when children die. :(

14. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

A real tragedy

Neither am I. Alcoholism and suicide rates on Native American reservations go well beyond the national average (sometimes as high as 69% for alcoholism). What I get sick of is the media jumping on this not because it's a horrible tragedy but because it's news. They end up glorifying the little sickos that decide it's better to deal with their problems with a Glock than with a word. Klebold, Harris, and others are seen by some teens (thankfully not most) as some sort of hero for the underdogs, rebelling against the mainstream and fighting the good fight against the bullies. With every media glorification of these nightmarish massacres, a new little sicko is born. Most of the time, they come to their senses but sometimes, as in this case, they settle their differences not with a whisper but a bang.

15. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

It sounds like the kid had a really troubled history, his mother permanently brain damaged, and his father himself committing suicide 4 years prior. That emotional stress was probably a contributor, I would guess. I have a tendency in cases like this to place at least some blame on the guardian. Granted, there isn't really enough known about his specific family situation to know for sure, but it seems to me that if his grandfather was more involved in his life, that he likely would have seen some disturbing signs, and perhaps sought to do something about it. Then again, maybe he did and he chose not to. Who knows? The one thing that is certain is that this is a terrible tragedy for the community, the victims, and their families.

16. jessickafree

jessickafree IncGamers Member

I am greatrambino's g/f.
    It is very sad. I know that people in Bemidji will be like "those damn Indians, blah blah blah" and I think that makes me even sadder. I am a little bit native american and I mourn for those that lost children. ANYBODY who has lost a child tragically I feel sad for.
    They said something on the radio this morning about the neo-nazi thing and the kid was also a member of a Marilyn Manson website. I listened to MM when I was a teenager and I turned out fine. The media is going to milk it for all it's worth and probably not leave the families alone to grieve.
    So I guess therefore I blame the news media.

17. GIR

GIR Banned

Yeah, where's the option to blame Marilyn Manson? That's bound to come up.

School shootings are so 1999. Kids today really need some originality. Rampant unexplained vandalism would be much better and allow the chance to enjoy your handiwork afterwards, too.

18. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

Usufruct still writes in this forum?? That's news...

19. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

That is a little creepy there, Dross. It's a very disturbing movie, on a couple of levels.

:(

20. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Sorry to do this, but its been eating at me since I saw this. I follow every point you made right up until this one--since the media is a reactive force in this mess, they can't really be blamed for causing it to begin with.

That said, they can certianly be blamed for making an absolute mess out of it now that it's happened.

The victims and their families will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. Columbine hit home for me in a way I'm not sure it could have for many others, as I had attended Evergreen HS, just up the road, not 8 months before the shootings. I had spent weekends at Columbine for debate tournaments, and can still mentally recall the hallways, cafeteria, and library of the school, which made the footage that aired on the news that much more vivid.

At any rate, I'm not sure what, if any, solution exists for this sort of problem. There are only so many measures that can be taken to prevent this, and it certainly does raise the question--at what point does it get absurd, and how far should we push it? Metal detectors? X-ray machines? Airline-style security at high schools? I can see so many potential problems with this, besides the sheer number of resources that it would require. Just makes me wonder if this is a reality we're going to have to learn to live with from now on.