Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Annoying moments when your hassled for trying to do the right thing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dutchman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Annoying moments when your hassled for trying to do the right thing

I went out behind my office building this morning for a smoke and hanging around on the patio was a cat. Friendly little guy, and in good shape, but with no collar. Now my office complex is bordered by a freeway, a 6 lane major street, a 4 lane busy street, and 2 city block industrial complex. The closest houses have got to be about 2 km away across an exceptionally busy part of the city. I'm thinking the only thing this little guy is going to be if I leave him there is roadkill, so I checked him over and noticed that he had also been declawed front and back. I picked him up and hopped in the car on the way to animal control.

I brought him in the place and said I had a lost little kitty and the first words out of the cranky wench's mouth as she was putting him a cage were: "Why would you bring him here?"

I told her where I found him, and told her he was declawed, and her response was "He isn't declawed". I suggested she check again, as if he had claws he hid them better than any cat I've ever known. She checked again, and he had no claws.

So after spending 20 minutes grumbling and filling out paperwork, she grudgingly admitted that he couldn't have been left where I found him.

Now I understand that there is 10 times more strays than these shelters can handle, but why do these people have to be such assholes? Why do they insist on making it difficult and/or unpleasant for people to try and help? I would have thought employees in these places actually cared about animals and their safety.

It was the cat I gave a damn about, I wasn't looking for kudos, but not even a simple thank you? And in place of a thank you, I get hassled for my trouble?

I just don't get it.

Dutch

2. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

3. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I don't have an answer for you. Don't let one bad seed ruin it for you though. I am sure most are more friendly and caring.

props to you even if you don't want them

4. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

She tought it was your cat and you were getting rid of her telling her a BS story. So she actually thought you were the ***hole.(Probably)

5. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

You know you did the right thing, I know you did the right thing.

You've got more important (and happier) things to worry about than whether some animal center ***** likes you. IMO of course.

-D2netDad

6. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

That lady was a *****.....she should be hit with TAT!

7. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

We need to upgrade our OTF arsenal. I suggest the TNT. Tactical Nuclear Trout.

8. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

All of my family (the close ones in the house here atleast) love animals.

Now, I understand perfectly that taking in the cat in your own house isn't something everyone would do, be it that your house doesn't allow animals, or you don't have time to take care of them or you're allergic or whatever, in that case, you did a nice job by doing to effort to take him/her to that center and making sure he/she was alright.

A few kitten stories of my own:

* Our cat here at home, we actually found at the doorstep of my grandparents (grandfather's birthday a few years ago) it was raining really bad, and when we took the kitten to the vet, it appears the kitten was only a few weeks old, most probably got thrown out of a car, and sat /wandered in the rain for hours.
    As a result, he's got chronic cold or something like that, which means he can't "meow" at all and his purrs are very silent.
    Nevertheless, we took him in, and took care of him, and now, years and years later, we still have him, and he's loved a lot by all of us.
    We always used to have dogs and parrots and turtles and ducks and fish, but my father grew up among cats at his old home, so it was a nice thing for him to have a new kind of pet, again.

* A very close girlish friend of mine is an extreme animal lover, she'd pick up anything she finds on the streets that still breathes and take care of it, if it were her own child. I'm not gonna bother you with all those stories, but reading this thread did make me think of 2 cat stories I still remember of her.

The first involves a kitten that got thrown out of a car, her head was hurt really bad, one eye hung out of it and she was bleeding all over. Naturally, when my friend found this poor little creature on the side of the road, she pulled over, put it in a dark box (tip to all people: if you transport injured animals, put them in a dark place, it helps them relax, else they'll be too stressy for medication etc when you reach the animal care center) and drove instantly to the center. They couldn't do much for the kitten anymore, but my friend wouldn't give up and took a lot of care, but after a few days, the kitten died. A story that didn't end very well...

The other is a bit nicer, one day, I can't remember how exactly anymore, she found a very small kitten (barely a few weeks old) and she took it home, this one even got named after me (she calls her Fluxy, most people outside these forums call me Flux) and it's a really adorable kitten, even now, after a few years, it's still extremely adorable, since it has a growth problem and stays all tiny, it's rather cute.

So, nice job, don't mind others, I don't know why the wench reacted like that, but ignore her, most people care less for animals then for their own wallet and time. (it still bugs me how on earth she got a job at that center though, with that kind of behaviour, perhaps you should consider reporting that to her superiors, after all, we do want the animals to be happy right? they advertise and all that you should bring animals, and when you get there, they act like that?)

9. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Perhaps you should consider what happens to most animals in those shelters. ***** or not, she may well have been a true animal lover sick to death of killing cats and dogs that nobody ever claims/rescues.

10. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I'm all for using the excuse that she was having a bad day but it's no reason to be rude to someone especially when they had the compassion to take time out of their day to make sure the animal was safe.

11. Dawnmaster

Well, I've worked in one of those places, and that one was very nice, all animal caring, very well prepared for anything (they've even had bats, snakes, a bear and a kangaroo!) and also well prepared for any circumstance, almost all types of cages, terrarriums, all kind of medication, food, even a small surgical table for when they can't transport the animal anymore and the closest vet has to perform an instant speed operation.

So I don't know about the ones in your country, but here we only allow people to work there who actually care about animals, the ones that are fully healed but can't be put back in nature are found a home for, and if no one wants them, the people working there take them home with them (or in rare cases, the animal stays there for the rest of it's life)

12. Dutchman

Couple of things:

- I know that sometimes shelters have to put animals down, but they still have a chance to be adopted if the original owner can't be found. Where my building is, this cat had one fate, and that was roadkill. I expect it crossed these busy street last night, as there was no way it made it this morning. Many animals also have the microchip implants, so the shelter might know if it belongs to someone in about 5 minutes, and have it safely home the same day.

This cat was a beautiful animal, long hair, nicely kept, friendly, and seemingly young. It will get adopted. This same cat in a pet store would probably go for about $800-1,000 if I had to guess. I'm not an expert, but It didn't look like any scruffy tomcat, it looked purebred. Someone will give it a good home.

As for this being one cranky person at the humane society, I only wish it were so. While I was there a lady was picking up a dog she had just adopted, and was very excited. She made some offhand comment about how she had fallen in love with this puppy at first sight, which prompted the staff (different from my *****) to launch into an attitude laden spiel about that isn't why you should get a dog, puppies are full of energy and a big committment, blah blah blah, and only shut up when the woman angrily told her that she had been researching and looking for a dog for 6 months, this wasn't spur of the moment. This staff member turned what should have been a joyous occasion into a sour one.

Another Humane society story, a different branch. In university I lived with 2 friends. As we had all had family cats growing up we decided we wanted a cat for the house. We all decided that we would rather get one from the Humane Society than from a pet store, saving an animal from possible destruction. After being interrogated for 2 hours we were allowed to pick a cat, and arranged to pick it up the next day. When we got there we were told that they had changed their mind, we couldn't have thought this through and weren't serious about having a pet. We were treated like cat murdering bestiality loving nutcases. 3 young guys want a cat? Must be something wrong with them. The first woman the day before had been terse, this last one was just plain ignorant.

Yet another example, different place. My neighbour moved 3 months ago, and asked me to help him bring some old furniture to goodwill. We drove up and the guy rudely told us to unload those 3 peices, didn't want the rest. Now this wasn't solid mahogany, but it was decent servicible furniture. So he ended up first going to goodwill, then still having to go to the dump. What do you think will happen next time? He'll go straight to the dump and save himself the hassle.

It has been experience that people working for places like this are universally cranky and ignorant. I'm sure that isn't fair, but if there are people who genuinely care and are pleasant, I haven't yet met one.

Truth be told I expected some hassle when I decided to bring the cat in, but I certainly did not expect to be treated like I had done something wrong and spoken to in such a rude way.

Ah well, as many have said, I know it was the right thing to do and thats all that really matters, I just wonder how much help these places are costing themselves by treating people so poorly.

Dutch

13. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

It's not right but I do understand her reaction.
    Even about that woman adopting that dog.

If you see how many animals are being brought to shelters, and often returned for vague and lame reasons, you get kinda bitter.
    It doesn't make it right but it's understandable if you get confronted with it every day.

14. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

^ that actually rarely happens, that's why those shelters are so full. It's a big misunderstanding that animals are put down in shelters. They don't.
    If they're too sick to live at all, then they're put down. If they're unfit to be adopted, they often land in places like this:
    www.dierenthuis.nl

15. Dawnmaster

I think Dutchman is confused with a "kennel" (iirc it's the same word in English?)

There they put the animals down, but not in a "shelter" (if it's an official animal center) they are only allowed to put animals down after a doctor's approval and when it's the only option left to do (not incase of adopting etc, only when the injuries are beyond healing and it is completally inmanagable for the animal to have any kind of "humane" life)

16. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Kennels are for dogs and I know nothing about dogs....
    Pet shelter, I mean dierenasiel. You describe it better than I did.

17. Dutchman

The humane society in Ontario has a time limit on how long they keep an animal before they are forced to put it down. It does happen, though a lot less than it used to if I understand these things correctly.

Dutch

18. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Different from my country then.....

19. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

It happens quite alot in the states. There has been an increase in nonkill shelters in recent years, but they are still greatly outnumbered. It takes much more money to run a nonkill shelter than a normal shelter.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I get the feeling that people who work in animal control care about animals the way people who work in nursing homes care about old people.

On the other hand, it's also possible this person genuinely cares about animals but being in an invidious and embittering position like that made her this way.

Maybe HAM is actually on to something there. How novel.

I think it's different where you live, over here the pound, RSPCA or animal shelters or whatever keep animals for a period of time and then have to put them down, because they simply don't have the money to keep them all alive. They get turned into blood & bone as I understand it.