Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Announcement: The SPF will be mod-friendly

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AlterEgo, May 14, 2005.

1. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Announcement: The SPF will be mod-friendly

I bet that got your attention. :p

But seriously, it's time for this forum to deal with SP game mods in a productive, positive way. Three threads in one day have convinced me that our current policies are in the stone-age. They will change:

1) We will now be able to link to The Phrozen Keep. Elly and I have reached an agreement on this. We feel it is in the best interests of this community. The Keep is no longer considered a competing site, but a complimentary one.

2) Links will be permitted to other mods once cleared by me or Kremtok. The best example here is RTB's set of mods (Red Rune, FE, Runeword) - links to these are fine. We will continue to delete links, posts or threads that pimp "un-authorized mods".

3) We need to refine the SPF concensus on how to incorporate mod use into our FAQs - both in the SPF and the SPTF. I truely appreciate and respect the wishes of the majority here that want to trade/recieve "unmodded" items. We must provide a process to support those trades.

4) We have to work at developing a generally positive attitude about game mods, and of their users. Ok, this is my opinion, but I'm going to push this philosophy very aggressively.

With that, I'd like some feedback, whether supportive or constructive. I'm mainly interested in finding concerns that should be addressed in the four points above.

And let's give Elly props for making this call. :thumbsup:

2. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Cool, are we allowed to link to other sites with useful info? or just phrozen keep?

3. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

Oh man, did my thread spark something?

=]

4. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

No, only to sites with mods that have been accepted by AE and Kremtok if I get it right.

5. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

this could badly affect the trading forum. it is always a trust thing here, but rules about no modded items will have to be added. unless you plan on having seperate trading lists for popular mods?.. modded items might often be easy to spot, but im not sure.
    as far as i know the mods i have tried have been incompatable with the unmodded game. in other words the characters i have created for use in the mods simply wouldnt work in the unmodded game. so joining a multiplayer game with a mod running wont be too much of a problem. this may not always be the case though.
    i have kept them seperate by modding a second install of diablo2 and keeping the one i play and trade here in the original state.
    many more issues will arise i think.
    this is a bold move, i think credit should be given to you for responding to this issue.

6. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Its a good step in a great direction, let's hope its viewed with positivity, and let's not have this become an excuse to dredge up differences in the past. ;)

Progressive, not regressive! gg.

7. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Yayz, no more witch hunting.
    On a more serious note, in my opinion what we need is a "How not to screw up your vanilla save files/items/dll.files while playing mods" faq, especially for beginners like myself. This would be especially important if the mod-user still wants to trade using his unmodded characters.

I am not a mod player but recently started browsing through the keep, and some of the mods i looked at doesn't have answers in their readmes to basic questions such as:
    - is the mod removable without having to reinstall d2?
    - does it overwrite .dll-s without backing them up, and if so which ones?
    - does it require a separate install, or can i still play vanilla with the same install using different command line arguments
    etc.
    imho an spf faq covering these issues for the most popular mods would be very very useful, and also encouraging for folk to experience more with various mods.
    Other than that, cheers for the changes.
    The n00b talked. Uff.

8. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

It is all a matter of mutual trust. Most mods are incompatible with the base game, so such an occurance would be moot. However, mods with only increased drop rates could pose a problem. The thing is however, if such a player would lie about such a mod, it really wouldn't make a difference. That same player could also use a trainer to create a godly character, pack that character with enough Magic Find to make our heads spin, and go on Magic Find runs to get some "legitimate" items (note the quotes around legitimate, i've already gotten flamed once about this). So again, it all boils down to the trustworthiness of the community players.

9. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

The best way to prevent all these occurances is to copy your entire Diablo Ii directory and paste it under a different name. For example, when I played the Hell Unleashed mod, I had two Diablo II directories in my Program Files folder: "Diablo II" and "Diablo II - Hell Unleashed". After this, you would create two seperate shortcuts, again named to differentiate from each mod.

10. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

good idea, i apreciate it since i just installed a mod today :) and yes it was of course from frozen keep

i dont think trading will be much of a issue since most mods have either changes graphics or changed item atributes ( or both ) and also since most chars wont be playable in the normal game when created in a mod.

what i think though that could be a problem : where do we draw the line betweeen mod and cheat ? dropmods for example, man, they are even called dropmod , nevertheless they have to be classified cheat otherwise everyone will have a botd by tomorrow :)

edit : ah yeah, forgot : make a fresh install ( or copy d2 directory ) for every mod, no problems then :thumbsup:

11. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

I seem to recall a mod/normal switcher was danced around being mentioned yesterday. Wouldn't hat let you keep them seperate? And maybe have a "mod" trade thread and a "vanilla" trade thread seperate w/ the rules noteing what was allowed to be traded from what and in the "mod" thread, the mod used.

My one concern is tourneys. Obiviously it needs to be mentioned that everyone in a tourney needs to be playing the same game. Also, it would be good if AE could note that any tourneys already started can not invlove mods on the tourney page for those who come new to our forum.

12. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I have no problem with this.

However, I think that any post must always state which mods (if any) were used. Always. I still play 1.10, and I refuse to be the recipient of an item from any other version.

I also do not support mandatory mod usage (FE, red rune) and will not use anything gained by those mods while I am still playing 1.10.

In short, I still prefer vanilla 1.10 final, but you do what you want.

-GG

13. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Personally, no probs with this.

But also along GG's lines, usage of mods must be stated clearly in MP, trading and tourneys.

I don't mind trading with RRM users but that's the end of my tolerance. I play vanilia D2 most of the time as I can't be bothered to add the few lines to start my Lime rune mod. :lol:

14. JicamaEater

JicamaEater IncGamers Member

I don't use mods either (aside from Version Switcher...) but I was never sure why the fact that they existed was pretty much suppressed. Obviously the community has some objections to it, in terms of legitimacy, but before it seemed like hiding mods just made it more likely that somebody was going to pass off a "modded" drop as a vanilla one.

Somebody in the other thread said that Blizzard thought the Phrozen Keep was a good site (or some such) but I think that ignores the fact that they don't seem to care at all what you do when you're not on Closed Battle.Net. One of the DII.Net FAQs even had some comment like "I don't know why you'd play off Closed BNet unless you like hacking or something." The irony is now that the SPF views BNetters as being the dupers. I don't know how the mod stance is going to change the interaction between BNetters and SPFers but I hope it works out okay.

15. Grishnakh

Grishnakh IncGamers Member

Amen. When I first got here i was attacked because people thought I had cheated(I made the mistake of talking about a botd collosus i had made)I don't support the "dropmods" or mods i have seen where you can buy runes and pgems in stores. however, things like rrm are kosher imho and i haven't traded at all on the internet out of respect for those who view it as cheating. the posts previous to mine have voiced the same opinion and reinforced the very reason i play sp in the first place-more honest people and you have to WORK to gain powerful items, runes, etc. making this choice required some serious cojones my friend. have a :drink: on me. :thumbsup:

16. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Well, my eyes bugged out of my head at seeing this one...

I think in the end it is a good thing, as it will give people who want to use mods and don't know about "other places" a safe way to get them. Google searches can lead to dangerous downloads.

I won't say that I don't have some reservations. Like GG, I'm not sure how I feel about the non-transformation mods (FE, Red Rune, Runeword) becoming the norm around here. We'll just have to see where it goes. Who knows, maybe someday I can be talked into the FE mod...

I think an easy way to deal with trade issues is to create a "catagory" for unmodded play. (Something along the lines of SPL characters.) Set up some rules (um, like, no mods :) ) and then "Vanilla" players can just trade with other "Vanilla" traders. In the trade thread, people could add [Vanilla] or whatever the catagory name is to the title of their trade thread.

I assume we can still consider drop mods "evil" around here?

17. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

What exactly does "vanilla" mean here? I'm not familier with the term, though I prefer strawberry ice cream myself. XP

18. Grishnakh

Grishnakh IncGamers Member

I assume we can still consider drop mods "evil" around here?[/QUOTE]
    Darn skippy :)

19. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I see 1 major problem.
    People will see that posting links to mods are ok, and if there new here, they may think that its ok to post hacks, or item packs (as we saw today) and things that can ruin the trade and MP community.
    Its ok to say 'well it'll go into the FAQ' but lets face facts, alot of new people dont read the FAQ, and those new people may not see much of a difference between mods, and hacks. I'm opposed to this, just to let you know.

20. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

This refers to unmodded play, no extra "flavors."