Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Angel Paladin

Discussion in 'Classic' started by crucialTK, May 20, 2008.

1. crucialTK

crucialTK IncGamers Member

Angel Paladin

I have a level 42 Angel Paladin (salvation / vengence) in Nightmare. He definitely is a tank and has f/l/c resist @ 77 but I have a hard time killing creatures..mind you I only use a jagged star with 3 pemeralds but is this character a lost cause in hell? I have great ar (bonus from sigon and angelic) but cant leech life/mana for anything. Im not expecting cookie cutter results but I'd like to be independent of pots in a hell game... is this possible? Any suggestions on items?

Please mind that I am very poor so, please suggest lower-tiered items.

usw/sc/ladder

Thanks!

2. IsThisNamePermanent

IsThisNamePermanent IncGamers Member

Re: Angel Paladin

I would suggest some crushing blow equipment and open wounds, seeing as how salvation does not support your attacking. With just those two skills why don't you put skills into conversion so you can have either a temporary meat shield or something to help you attack.

Goblin Toe
    Light Plated Boots

Defense: 33-34 (varies)(Base Defense: 9-11)
    Required Level: 22
    Required Strength: 50
    Durability: 18
    Assassin Kick Damage: 8-16
    +50-60% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    25% Chance of a Crushing Blow
    -1 To Light Radius
    Damage Reduced By 1
    Magic Damage Reduced By 1
    +15 Defense
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

Knell Striker
    Scepter

One-Hand Damage: 10 To (18-19) (14-14.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 5
    Required Strength: 25
    Durability: 50
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +70-80% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +50% Damage To Undead
    25% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    +35 To Attack Rating
    Poison Resist +20%
    Fire Resist +20%
    +15 To Mana

Boneflesh
    Plate Mail

Defense: 234-257 (varies)(Base Defense: 108-116)
    Required Level: 26
    Required Strength: 65
    Durability: 60
    +100-120% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    5% Life Stolen Per Hit
    25% Chance Of Open Wounds
    +35 To Attack Rating

Rattlecage
    Gothic Plate

Defense: 328-335 (varies)(Base Defense: 128-135)
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 70
    Durability: 55
    +200 Defense
    25% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Hit Causes Monster To Flee 40%
    +45 To Attack Rating
    (Spawns In Any Patch)

Rixot's Keen
    Short Sword

One-Hand Damage: 9 To 14 (11.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 2
    Durability: 24
    +100% Enhanced Damage
    +5 To Minimum Damage
    25% Chance of Crushing Blow
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +25 Defense
    +2 To Light Radius
    (Spawns In Any Patch)

Blood Crescent
    Scimitar

One-Hand Damage: 3 To (9-10) (6-6.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 7
    Required Dexterity: 21
    Durability: 22
    Base Weapon Speed: [-20]
    +60-80% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    33% Chance Of Open Wounds
    15% Increased Attack Speed
    15% Life Stolen Per Hit
    All Resistances +15
    +15 To Life
    +4 To Light Radius

The Gnasher
    Hand Axe

One-Hand Damage: (4-5) To (9-10) (6.5-7.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 5
    Durability: 28
    +60-70% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    20% Chance of Crushing Blow
    50% Chance of Open Wounds*
    +8 To Strength
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

Bloodrise
    Morning Star

One-Hand Damage: 15 To 35 (25 Avg)
    Required Level: 15
    Required Strength: 36
    Durability: 72
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +120% Enhanced Damage
    +50% Damage To Undead
    25% Chance Of Open Wounds
    10% Increased Attack Speed
    5% Life Stolen Per Hit
    50% bonus to Attack Rating
    +3 To Sacrifice (Paladin Only)
    +2 To Light Radius

3. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

I think you need a high damage weapon, as the vengeance damage is based on weapon damage. An expensive alternative would be a gnasher, which would give you nice open wounds and crushing blow.

If you have a 10-20 damage weapon and you get 100% more damage, it is 20-40.
    If you have a 150 dmg weapon, it's 300..

ps. kneel strikers are impossible to find, been trying to do so for a long time

4. crucialTK

Thanks,

I have Bloodrise.... but wouldnt the jagged start be better (because I have lots of posion dmg) or is poison dmg just overrated?

Also, salvation and indv resists give synergy to vengence...or so I thought.. i think 2% per level and 10% per level for each indv resist.

What do you guys think of Venom Ward for armor (?) i do need posion resist.. and whats the value of it

5. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Venom ward is pure garbage, it's like the 2nd most popular armor if you search with an an not glitched MF char IMO (the first one would be the damn isenheart armor, sometimes I even get DUAL drops of it..). You might have problems in acquiring it, because noone actually keeps them.

Poison damage stops the monster regeneration, but please note that you need actual, real damage, not the low damage from gems to be able to do any damage in nightmare/hell. Search for a high damage weapon (as everyone is?) with increased attack speed. Please re-read my post again. Your 10-20 damage weapon is getting marginal damage from vengeance methinks..

6. SHINOBIPANDA

SHINOBIPANDA IncGamers Member

hmm a good idea would be to get a 100+dmg 1h weap. i mean ironstone is another 1 u could use but i would go with like a 100+dmg bh or twin axe.

7. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

A Venger pala is one of the harder types to build. As for the name, I would have thought an Angel paladin would be more of a healer sub-type, not one focussed on destruction.
    In Hell, you will need conviction(green aura) to do any damage at all with Vengeance. And you will need to up all the individual resists to get some proper damage.

Poison damage will not help much in late Hell where monsters have a base health of 8000+ without the number of players in the game bonus. Especially because poison damage does not stack if you hit them again with the same weapon.
    Supposing you do 100 poison damage over 5 seconds.
    you hit a monster, the counter starts.
    After 1 second, you hit the monster again, by that time the monster will have received 20 damage and by hitting it again, the counter is reset. If you do not hit that monster again, your two hits will have done 120 damage rather then the 200 that you would expect.

8. crucialTK

Aww.. thanks for the clarification regarding poison dmg... I guess my question now is...

what high dmg one hand weapon is on the more affordable side?

Im not looking for a godly weapon but something that can keep going in hell.....

also from my uinderstanding... once a pally uses vengence and conviction, it is considered an avenger... vengence/salvation is an angel.. i guess i was trying something different. Also from my understanding, it is very difficult to build an effective avenger w/o godly gear

Also, any suggestions on a shield... this sounds bad but im stuck with bverrit or sigons shield.

9. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

A paladin using vengeance combined with salvation seems like a pala which does even less damage then a max res aura's Avenger, so I'd say without really impressive gear, the chances to make it trough Hell are slim. At least you will have a chalenge. With a high level salvation you could help parties as their auradin.

The only thing you can really try is imbue some battle hammers and hope for the best.
    My Avenger is wearing some decent gear, has 95/95/95/4x res in Hell while using conviction and he would still get run over unless played very carefully and taking on 1, perhaps 2 monsters max at a time.

10. crucialTK

Dang, sounds like my pally is doomed!

Is there any pally that can survive hell w/o godly gear? Can a pally solo hell (maybe not a full game) with only average gear?

11. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

Seems to me that you shouldnt really be using only 1 melee attack for paladins - that you should use different attacks depending on what you are facing.

Zealing larger groups of smaller enemies, vengeance on big bosses and physical immunes, holt bolts and foh on ranged attackers - hammers to weaken and stun everything around you long enough so you can attack or charge out of the group.

The paladin - a swiss army knife of gadgets - attacks and auras - that it appears no one takes advantage of :thumbsup:

12. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

in general, any non-spell skill using build has a much harder time, especially in hell and hell cs.

with spell using skill builds. u dont need str and dex and even nrg (nrg=energy) for the skill itself, u only need vitality and enough str/dex for gear. the spell skills do great damage on their own and always hit (they only-mainly get their damage from skill pts invested) making u only have to worry about survivibility (pump vit) and enough str/dex for gear.

whereas with a weapon skill using build (especially phys damage melee=close combat) u need str and/or dex for the weapon attack and build survivilbity (str/dex for damage, str for high def gear-def rating, dex for AR, vit for life).

as u can see its a lot more complicated and difficult when you're trying to use a weapon skill like paladin's vengence compared to a spell skill like sorceress' blizzard.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    a paladin that can do hell cs easy:

1. a hammerdin with resist gear (simple). the resist gear can be garbage, no need for godly gear, all u need is resists and pump vit for high life and the blessed hammers and being synergied and using concentration will crush hell cs easy.

*u should see this happen though. in almost every cs run there will be a hammerdin who clears cs for u and everyone, or not (in party or not or hostile). but these hammerdins usually have godly gear (which isnt needed but they have it for faster killing or dealing with the other humans if they wanna or get hostiled).
    ----------------
    a paladin (and he's a phys melee build! he's an exception to my above statement when your in an undead infested area like hell cs) that can do hell cs but with more work-difficulty getting him able to (but he also doesnt require godly gear, jsut better gear and better stat placement and balance of str, dex, vitality):

2a. sanctuary paladin (i used zeal and it worked great except the knockback from sanctuary's pulse is annoying when your trying to zeal:D).

2b. i have a guide thread on sanctuary if u wanna try this:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=655435

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  13. crucialTK

Thanks,

sanctuary sounds interesting.. never imagined anyone would use it... as you can see im trying to avoid cookie cutter builds and try something different. This definitely is.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on a solid one hand weapon that isnt very expenisve but good enough for hell?

14. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

for a cheap 1 hand weapon with good damage:

1. civerbs set weapon. gets more damage as your character lvls. its max damage is ~150? at character lvl 99. so around a normal-avg character lvl (60-80) civerbs will do about ~100-120 damage. there's some oterh set weapons that also get damage per char lvl but civerbs is the only one that doesnt require other set peice with it. (clegs gets more damage with char lvl but u have to have another cleg peice for this. there's a few others too. but civerb is best as it only has a small str req where swords have str and dex req.and dosent need any otehr civerb set peice)
    ------------
    *why a 1h, btw (btw=by the way)?

*if this 1h is for a sanctuary paladin. u dont need a shield, trust me, USE a 2h weapon. sanctuary will make it impossible for u to die in an undead infested place like hell cs. in hell cs with sanctuary, the ONLY thing that is a threat to u is the vemon lords (and diablo=need fire and lightning resist for his attacks). all u need is fire resistance for the vemon lord's flame breath and u have nothing to fear from hell cs with your sanctuary build.

see that link i gave u on my post about sanctuary as i explain why hell cs is soo easy with sanctuary in more detail there.
    ---------------
    2. bh (battlehammer) does the most damage for a 1h weapon, but its slow and only has a range of 1. but it only has a str req for it, no dex req. Naga does slightly less damage than a bh but it has a range of 3. it too only has a str req and no dex req. and is faster than a bh. u can do swords, but most of them have high str and dex req.

*best 1h weapon is a godly RARE bh (max damage ~150-180?) or naga (max damage ~120-150?).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    *btw, sanctuary IS argue'ably the LEAST used skill in the entire game. which is sad. its really is NOT a weak skill, at least when in undead areas which are numerous including the last area of the game hell cs is entirely undead, except for fire breathing venom lords.

*SANCTUARY IS MADE FOR HELL CS!!*

*or any other undead infested place.

Last edited: May 22, 2008