Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Andy's Race (mini tournament)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by uglyfred, Oct 2, 2014.

1. uglyfred

uglyfred IncGamers Member

During my recent cubing project (in the Item Find Thread) I twinked a few level1 characters and ran them to retrieve the Horadric Malus just to get an imbue quest which was then used on plain diadems. None of the results worked out to be particularly great, but the push to get faster & faster & faster with each new character did get me thinking about how fast a character could be. So, of course, that spawned the idea to create a tournament around a speedrun (i.e. race).

Unlike the many, many, extremely creative, well organized, and well thought out tournaments in the history of the SPF, I wanted to do a tournament that is:
    1) fun
    2) extremely simple, and
    3) requiring small enough effort that anyone can play and have a chance to complete successfully

So you should have a pretty good chance to actually finish this tournament because it doesn't require a great amount of patience, skill or time investment. In other words, this is a tournament that you can complete from start to finish in ~20 minutes (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) - while drinking a beer or two on the way.

For that reason I decided that the race would simply be from character creation to killing Andariel in Normal difficulty.

Here are the rules:

- untwinked, hardcore
    - you may choose any character class, skill, or item that you wish
    - except for the final goal of killing Andariel, you may complete or bypass any quest that you wish,
    - you may collect or skip waypoints as you see fit
    - after completion with one character, you may replay/restart this tournament with a new character as many times as you wish until a single character dies.
    - if any of your characters die in attempting this tournament, you cannot compete with another character - you're out.
    - the person with the shortest time elapsed from character creation to stepping through Andariel's death-portal back into the Rogue Encampment wins
    - in the unlikely event of a tie, the character with the lower experience wins a tie-breaker.
    - in the even more unlikely event those 2 criteria don't settle the winner, the 3rd tiebreaker shall be in favor of the person who consumed the greater number of alcoholic beverages while playing their character. :D

Timeframe: This tournament is active from now until November 11th.

Prizes: If there's to be a prize, it should be something that's as equally inane as this idea. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Maybe a twinked vs untwinked category? I think there might be interest in both camps

3. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

LVL of the char with the imbue quest matters FYI.

5. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Not with a Diadem, it's always high enough level to get good stuff.

If I were to attempt this, I'd use a fire blast assassin. Burst of speed is the best, and CoS to skip the things I don't need to kill...
    I'm busy with the Impossible Tourney though.

6. Zubans

Zubans IncGamers Member

I think he might mean that you need to be lvl 8 (?) to imbue anything/receive the quest(?).