Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Andariel & Mephisto Drops Based on /Players Setting if

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by FrostBurn, Sep 3, 2006.

1. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Andariel & Mephisto Drops Based on /Players Setting

This test was prompted as a result of this thread.

Aim
    To ascertain if the quantity of a boss's drops were based on the players setting that they were spawned on, or the players setting that they were killed on.

Method
    An area clear of dead tiles was selected, to ensure that drops could take place. For Andy, the location of death was the beginning of her tatty red carpet. For Meph, the location of death was on the centre of the sun sign just above the portal to hell. All nearby monsters were killed, and no items were left on the locations of death to prevent confusion with boss drops.

Both Andy and Meph were spawned at /players8. My Blizzballer, Elentari, and her HF merc, Azrael, reduced their life down to a sliver. She then teleported away, set the players setting to 1, and returned to finish them off.

The number of drops were noted, with a distinction being made between useful items (e.g. armours, weapons, jewellery) and junk items (e.g. gems, gold, arrows).

Results
    Andariel
    1st try: 3 useful, 0 junk
    2nd try: 4 useful, 0 junk
    3rd try: 4 useful, 0 junk
    4th try: 3 useful, 1 junk
    5th try: 4 useful, 0 junk
    6th try: 3 useful, 0 junk
    7th try: 1 useful (Isenhart's Case :tongue: ), 1 junk
    8th try: 3 useful, 0 junk

Mephisto
    1st try: 5 useful, 0 junk
    2nd try: 4 useful, 2 junk
    3rd try: 6 useful, 0 junk
    4th try: 5 useful, 1 junk
    5th try: 2 useful, 1 junk
    6th try: 1 useful, 5 junk
    7th try: 4 useful, 2 junk
    8th try: 4 useful, 2 junk

Analysis
    In Andariel's case, it is clear that her drops are based on her players setting at point of death, and not based on when she was spawned.

In Mephisto's case, the 5th try dropped a total of 3 items, and the 1st try dropped a total of 5 items, with the remaining four tries yielding 6 items each. There is some evidence that Mephisto's drops are affected by the players setting at point of death, but this is offset by his (probable) lower chance of a 'no drop' at lower players setting compared to Andariel.

Of Interest
    I did 4 runs each at /players8, just to compare.

Andariel
    1st try: 6 useful, 0 junk
    2nd try: 5 useful, 1 junk
    4th try: 6 useful, 0 junk

Mephisto
    1st try: 5 useful, 1 junk
    2nd try: 4 useful, 2 junk
    4th try: 3 useful (1 Metalgrid, I'm giving away, see Give-Away Thread), 3 junk

Which indicates that the 'no drop' chance is extremely small at /players8.

2. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

This pretty much also means that you can spawn bosses at p1 and just before you kill them change to p8 to get a better drop from an easier boss. This is considered cheesy though.

3. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Well than slap me on a burger and call me cheddar, haha. Sorry, just had to say that. Very good tests frostbburns, I feel proud of myself sort of that this thread was inspired by mine, lol. but yes, very good tests. Thnaks again for the help, I appreciate it a lot.

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I posted this in the other thread, but I'm moving it here since it makes more sense.

Here is the link to the thread where RTB did the testing:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?p=3615063#post3615063

(RTB set up a mod that would drop potions 50% of the time at /p1 and 100% at /p3.)

The problem with testing on bosses is that it is very hard to control the conditions like bad drop tiles and other monsters droping stuff. (I couldn't get a clean result when I tried to test Andy.)

5. FrostBurn

I'm too tired to read all of that link at the moment Cat, but if you look at my methodology section, you'll see that I was meticulous in ensuring that the boss was killed in a big area clear of dead tiles. I even killed all the monsters nearby first (froze them with GS so no bodies), picked up all the items and dumped them in a corner, and lured the boss to that area before killing him/her.

6. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

What is this talk about "dead tiles"? I've never heard of that before. I thought the only monster (on a regular basis) that you could "lose" drops from was Baal, and then only if he was close to the edge of the platform. I know you can lose drops from gloam, bat, and other flying monster types if the die over water, or off the edge of a cliff, but I've never heard of the other before. Is this something that can be confirmed with hard evidence?

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I agree with jrlafrance, I have never experienced a no-drop from Act boss in 1.10+. If I run on P5, I never got less than 6 items...

@Frostburn: Gems are not considered "junk", it came under the same category as runes - "good". In system of treasere classes in Diablo, "junk" are potions, scrolls, arrows...

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

OK, my quick test on Mephisto:

P1 spawned, P8 killed:
    6,6,5,4,6,5 items

P5 spawned, P1 killed
    6,6,4,6,6,3 items

I only teleported few TP away from him and not left his area by Townportal.
    It seems that it works if you downgrade the player settings, but not when you upgrade it. FrostBurn can you confirm my tests?

9. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I've had Andarial drop nothing on several occations. I haven't had that problem since I've gone to /p5 and been more careful about where I kill her, but I've definately had it happen more than once.

It would be interesting if the spawn/kill thing only works one way. I don't think RTB's tests tried both, since it really doesn't make any sense that it would be different. (Silly us, expecting logic. :grin: )

10. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

what's this p1 and such?

11. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

if you type /playersX (where x is 1-8) into the chat window it'll simulate that number of unpartied players in the game

12. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

???? theres no chat window in single play, and with single play you always play alone, not with 8? I'm sorry, but I don't understand it

13. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Press enter to get your chat menu up

On realms the more people there are in the game the harder the monsters get/you gain more experience/drop chances are increased.

In single player we can set the game to what player setting we want to make it harder/easier , you are still playing alone

14. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Hit enter in game, viola, chat window.
    Hence the Simualte the number of unpartied players. Monster Hp goes up 0.5 for every additional player, exp goes up etc......

15. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Ok let me get this straight......in single player, you open the chat menu with enter. That gives you a menu in which you can change the number of players. And despite that you're single, you can enter "8" in there pretending to be with 8 players?
    Never thought of that.:scratch:

16. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

It's not really a ''chat menu'', if you press enter you get a grey box at the bottom of your screen. Then you can type all you want. This chat box is just so you can talk to people when you MP or are on Bnet.
    However in SP you can also use this box to activate the ''extra players command''. Normally you can't have more then one player in SP (without TCP/IP), with this simulation you can. If you MP and someone joins your game you see the words ''someone enters the world, diablo's monsters get stronger'' or something like that. If you type ''/playersX'' or ''/players X'' where X is a number between 1 and 8, you simulate that number of people joining your game. Hence the monsters get more tough, drop better/more, give more exp and more of the likes. Read trough the stickies to get more information.

17. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Lovely!
    I tried reading the stickies and with the exception of the one about abbreviations, they never gave many answers, just a whole pile of more questions. I may have been playing Diablo2 for a while now but I never got any further than reading the info on the Arreat Summit, this all is new to me.

so the command is " /playersX " . I'll try that next time with my sorc, thanks!

18. FrostBurn

Ok, same Method as in my starter post, but spawning at /players1 and killing at /players8. Following Hrus's correction, I've included gems (and runes) as useful items, while all other white items as junk items.

Andariel
    1st try: 6 useful, 0 junk
    2nd try: 3 useful, 0 junk
    3rd try: 5 useful, 0 junk
    4th try: 3 useful, 0 junk
    5th try: 2 useful, 0 junk
    6th try: 4 useful, 0 junk
    7th try: 3 useful, 0 junk
    8th try: 6 useful, 0 junk

Mephisto
    1st try: 5 useful, 0 junk
    2nd try: 5 useful, 1 junk
    4th try: 4 useful, 2 junk
    5th try: 6 useful, 0 junk
    6th try: 5 useful, 0 junk
    7th try: 5 useful, 0 junk
    8th try: 5 useful, 1 junk

Conclusion
    Taking into account the data in both my starter post and this post, spawning at /p8 and killing at /p1 will give drop chances at /p1.

Spawning at /p1 and killing at /p8 will still give drop chances at /p1.

Of note, notice how small the difference in the 'no drop' rate is for Mephisto when spawned and killed at /p1 and at /p8.

(Sadly, no Metalgrid to give-away this time round):tongue:

19. Phosheez

Phosheez IncGamers Member

I should have mentioned this with all the meph running ive done now. I always run him on /p1 for this reason. His no drop chances seemed to be low enough as is that it really doesnt make a whole lot of sense to increase players unless you want experience. However, for you uber sorc users out there it probably doesnt take too much more time to kill on higher players settings anyway. I was running with zealot so I certainly noticed the difference.

20. Ardo

Ardo IncGamers Member

I have heard something about it is best to run Mephisto at players3, that he always gives as much as he can at that and there is no point in going higher (only experience). Can someone confirm this?