And the Champions are in!

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
And the Champions are in!

Woot! Just as I knew would happen...

Liverpool are in next seasons Champions League!!!

I'm so happy! :D Today it was released that we will be entered into the competition in the first qualifying stage. This means we will have to play a stupid amount of games at the start of the season but it'll be worth it!

The other Premier League teams will also get less money (its being shared out) which is nice, nopt that Chelsea need it mind you...

Also means we will probably have to cancel the tour that was planned, but who cares!!!

*Liverpool! Liverpool! Liverpool!*
KnightFall

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
Congratulations...... I knew Johansson would get the vote through!!!

David.

EDIT: A unanimous decision.... nice!

Chynobi

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyone know who the're going through at the expence of?

Or is it going to work differently this season?

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
I think it's Fenebache from Turkey but I'm not 100% on that.

*goes to find out*

Sky Sports Web Site said:
Liverpool have been awarded a place in next season's UEFA Champions League first qualifying round.

The European champions will start their qualifying campaign on 12/13 July - with return legs to be played on 19/20 July.

Liverpool had initially been told that they would not be able to defend their trophy, won in a penalty shoot-out against Milan, because they finished outside of the top four in The Premiership.

However, after extensive negotiations, Uefa's executive committee have now concurred on Liverpool's participation.

Rafa Benitez's side now face an exhausting close-season as they will have to play six games to secure a place in the group stages of Europe's premier competition.

Uefa's director of communications, William Gaillard, has spoken exclusively to Sky Sports News and has explained his organisation's decision and the implications for future seasons.

''I think we are looking for a quieter summer at this stage!'' Gaillard told Sky Sports News.

''We have basically amended the rule to make sure there is no ambiguity left.

''As you can see from our statement that says title holders will always have the right to defend the title and therefore qualify automatically - whilst at the same time the number of clubs per national association will remain stable.

''As we say also, Liverpool will be included in the English market pool share with the status of the lowest placed English club.

''There will still be some financial burden on the other four clubs, these calculations will take place later.

''It was decided reasonably quickly and it was a consensus position after the different aspects were examined and taken into account.''

Manchester City had been hoping Liverpool's participation in the Champions League would free up a Uefa Cup spot but Gaillard has now poured cold water on this suggestion.

''Man City don't get a place. As you can see from the list, we transferred Liverpool from the Uefa Cup but kept the number of clubs in European competitions stable. So that means Bolton and Middlesbrough will represent England in the Uefa Cup,'' he concluded.

''The executive committee decided this was the best solution possible.''
Doesn't say anything about anyone being 'out of it' so I'm not sure if there is anyone who has to drop out...

KnightFall

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
That's super cool that the Reds are in the Champions League next year, but I don't like the ruling. You finish out of the top 3 in league, you're not in next year's tourney. Simple as that.

Go Spurs!

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
That's super cool that the Reds are in the Champions League next year, but I don't like the ruling. You finish out of the top 3 in league, you're not in next year's tourney. Simple as that.

Go Spurs!
If I didn't have the biased view that I obviously have then I might agree with you. But don't you think the Champions should get to defend it where ever they finish?

KnightFall

I bet the smaller nations will be a bit arsy about england having 5 teams, but hey it wont matter, we know liverpool will get knocked it before they even make it to the group stages.. :lol:

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
Doesn't matter what you think. Rules are rules :lol:

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
farting bob said:
I bet the smaller nations will be a bit arsy about england having 5 teams, but hey it wont matter, we know liverpool will get knocked it before they even make it to the group stages.. :lol:

How dare you!!! :lol:

*boots farting bob out of my thread*

KnightFall

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
But don't you think the Champions should get to defend it where ever they finish?
One of the things that makes the Champions League super neato is that it's the best club teams from Europe. Liverpool was good, but not the best in the Premireship this year (better than the Spurs).

It sorta cheapens the deal for me. I can see where you're coming from though. Hell, they played brilliantly. If they promise to do that, let 'em in for all time.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah I can see where your coming from actually. I was discusted too with them not getting even a top 4 place. Bloody useless really...

Still a top three place is my prediction for next season. I'm even going to have £10 on us winning it (the prem). The odds are pretty good. :D

KnightFall

Chynobi

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
One of the things that makes the Champions League super neato is that it's the best club teams from Europe. Liverpool was good, but not the best in the Premireship this year (better than the Spurs).

It sorta cheapens the deal for me. I can see where you're coming from though. Hell, they played brilliantly. If they promise to do that, let 'em in for all time.
But they are the best team in Europe.
They should be allowed to defend there title.

[No im not biased im a Leicester Supporter :p]

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Chynobi said:
But they are the best team in Europe.
They should be allowed to defend there title.

[No im not biased im a Leicester Supporter :p]
I'm sure your a closet scouser!!! :lol:

KnightFall

No, to really annoy him you sing everton songs!
Anyway, i think they'll fibnsih 4th next year. the title will be either chelski's or arsenals, with man u quitely sitting in 3rd.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't worry mate, at least your the second best team to play in Red... :p

Next season will finish...
1st. Liverpool
2nd. Chelsea
3rd. Arsenal
4th. Manchester United

Just you wait and see...

The Everton song my mate loved to use on me was...

"Oh Rafa, rafa beneath us" - or something like that...

KnightFall

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
Don't worry mate, at least your the second best team to play in Red... :p

KnightFall
No, no, no, no, no..... look at my 'tar..... They're the best! :lol: Just in another league!

David.

KnightFall said:
Next season will finish...
1st. Liverpool
2nd. Chelsea
3rd. Arsenal
4th. Manchester United
I'll bet you a platinum palship that liverpool do not win the premier ship next season. They've had this problem before. 1 season they do well in 1 tournament (FA cap, european cup, champions league) but never do as well in the premiership. so move liverpool down 3 on your list, and bump the others up 1.