Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ancients

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Llathias, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Ancients

well, here i am, with yet another question...

yesterday i beat Normal Ancients with my lvl40 pally, on players 3 (stupid, ain't it?--forgot to change the setting). i was hoping to get to lvl41 but instead gained some 1mil experience. i have version 1.10, which indicates the new ancients reward in the patch readme file, though the character was created in D2C, then played quite a lot in 1.07, until i recently upgraded the version. am i overlooking something or is there a good explanation for this?

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

good explanation for what?
    the 1 mil exp? yes. thats how much you always get. even if your lvl 98

3. Llathias

Llathias Banned

I am, however, quite certain that the Ancients quest gives 1 character level in version 1.10, unlike the 1-20-40mil exp in the earlier patches. and i DID have version 1.10!

4. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Corax is right. You also get the fixed amount in 1.10

5. Porius

Porius IncGamers Member

I think that you are confused about one things about 1.10. The ancients quest will only give you one level at most, not at least. So, if you are say 14th level and defeat Hell ancients, you can only get to 15th level. This was one of the anti-rushing features put into the patch.

Porius

6. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

you must be lvl 20 te defeat normal ancients. Also an anti-rushing feature.

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

As others sadi, ti gives a set amount, with a max of 1 lvl gain. If it gave a whol levwel all tyhe time, people would level in pits/meph/pindle etc until they were lvl 90+ and then gain a whol level, saving days of running.

8. Porius

Porius IncGamers Member

Good point.

Porius

9. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

i dont think its stupid at all. i realise that it is the "done thing" to reduce the ancients player setting to 1 because they dont provide any extra tangable reward for beating them on a higher setting.
    however, i find this very cheesy indeed.
    the ancients aren't meant to be easy to beat, they are the final guardians of the mountain and its treasure.
    the reward is in victory, for me anyway.
    the last time i faced them alone was in nm and i had played the tunnels at players8. i left it as i always do and got my butt kicked. i died 6 times before i finally prevailed and i think i got back about the same amount of exp as i had lost! BUT, it felt good to win! dune

10. Llathias

Llathias Banned

ah... now i feel real dumb! :eek: obviously, never paid attention to the "max" before the "1 level", and since most people do it earlier (at least that i read in these forums), i didn't realize the fact. sorry about taking your time with my ignorance. *hangs head in shame...* :(

fb, well, patient people can still wait and get the 40mil w/o the exp cut penalty. but it's obviously faster to get past and do Baal runs, i suppose.

@dune: i wasn't aiming for a challenge, after all, i'm beating 3 monsters 3 lvl lower than my char in Normal. and believe me, it was unintentional :p

11. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Why?

You're only one player so the most natural selection would be /players 1.
    It's not cheesy to choose /players 1, it's natural (imo). I understand why some would battle them at higher settings for a more difficult battle, but I don't find it cheesy to lower the settings to one, when you are indeed only one...
    Sorry for the OT, just had to state my opinion.

12. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

each to his own, of course. If you complete the whole level on players1 then great, ancients also. it just seems to me to be a bit cheap to lower it just outside the door. as though you are abusing the system a little. dont mind me, im just a little eccentric:)

13. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Agreed, that might be a little chicken'ish... :D

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

You could say playing the game on P8 is cheesy, since your the only 1 there, so should only play at that setting, rather than playing P8 and getting more EXP.
    Of course, i find it fine to change the /P settings over the course of the game.

15. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

I agree with FB. There is no "shame" in changing players 'x' setting in the course of the game. Some areas are tougher than others. Its one's perogative weather to it all hard and to the extreme, or survive. Me personally, I have been cruising around at p4, for the middle ground.