Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ancients vs the prime evils

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mir, Aug 1, 2017.

1. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

A quick search resulted in no similar topics so.....

As the thread title go, in a 3 vs 1 fight, could the ancients take down the prime evils (including duriel)?

For a bonus round, could the ancients defeat baal waves (wave after wave)?

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think that depends a lot on which random auras, immunities and other abilities they have. I will leave them aside (and also those of Baal waves).

I some cases, the Ancients cannot defeat my merc and sometimes it takes quite some time to wear down the valk of my amazon. I guess they will lose versus Diablo and win versus Mephisto, but I'm not sure about Baal.

Regarding the Baal waves, I'm not sure if Baal's decrep affects them. If it does, they will probably lose against all waves but number one. Without decrep, they might win against number 4 and if they are also not too dumb, against number 3 as well, perhaps also versus #2. I don't know how much time they need for hit recovery , but if it's bad, they will lose versus wave 5.

T72on1 and mir like this.
  3. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Of course they have low showings, but if we assume moderate+ difficulty (probably require reroll/separation) and standard immunities?

4. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I think they will have a tough time defeating Duriel, with is Freeze aura, stun, and just general high damage. Talic and Korlic would basically just work as tanks, while Madawc would throw at him.

Do they have the ability to run in circles and drink potions? If so, then maybe.

I don't think Baal would cause them any trouble, as they are probably unaffected by his mana burn. Besides, Baal pretty much sucks...

Diablo is a sure win for him. His frost punch, combined lightning hose and inferno, would just obliterate them, as they are very vulnerable against being frozen

mir likes this.
  5. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Ancients (except for Madawk) have 0 chill effectiveness, and as such will not be slowed by Duriel and his (un)holy freeze. The main problem is that their damage output will vary greatly, and their immunities too. I don't remember poison immunity, but they can gain it through gear I think. If they rolled with the right gear and random properties, they'd destroy any of the act bosses in a 3 on 1 fight, and possibly even Lister & co.

I'll assume Hell difficulty, since if you were to gang up normal or NM ancients against the first three act bosses, their level difference alone would be difficult to overcome for the outnumbered act boss.

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

From a lore perspective consider that Baal with the full might of his armies chose not to face the ancients in a head on battle. That tells me that the self proclaimed "lord of destruction" knew he couldn't destroy them.

7. krischan

I don't think that was the reason. I think that it would have been strategically unwise to defeat them. He had the means to sneak past them, so there was no need to spend resources on achieving that. They could keep on serving as a means to keep others away.

On the other hand, Baal's strategy is flawed in many respects anyway, so I might apply too much cold reasoning into this issue. Let's say it was because he didn't have thenough time to bother with them :).

Nitpicking: Duriel is not a Prime Evil :p.

mir likes this.
  8. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

I agree wholeheartedly. All it takes is for one of them to roll a Might or Fanaticism aura, or be Cursed, or roll the Cruel prefix on their weapon, to tilt the tables. And if there is a combination of the above, watch out. My guess is Lister & Co. would be their toughest foe due to the combination of numbers + power of that group, but to me with the right rolls they could easily subdue any of the Prime Evils.

mir likes this.
  9. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I see your nitpick, and raise you a toothpick :cool:

krischan, T72on1 and pharphis like this.
  10. krischan

Thanks!

11. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I kinda considered Baal sneaking past the Ancients with the relic as a sign he didn't want to face them. But, as @krischan said, the unneeded expenditure of resources to defeat them would have been a waste. That line of thinking is at the forefront of every corporation in America these days, especially where I work.

Anyway, the mention of the cruel prefix on their weapons reminded me of something in Grim Dawn that is really cool. A monster could wield, and drop when defeated, one of the legendary items in the game. It made certain enemies extremely tough, if not unbeatable.

12. tokerdin

tokerdin Diabloii.Net Member

One thing that bears mentioning is hell diablos lightning hose would go right over Talic and Korlic's heads. So i think they could take diablo easy with the loss of madawc of course.