Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

(Ancients) Newcomer thread suggested trying here.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Y8z, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Y8z

Y8z IncGamers Member

(Ancients) Newcomer thread suggested trying here.

I chose the newbie thread because I havent played in about 4 years and have never done the expansion before.

I seem to be stuck on the section where you fight the 3 ancients at the top of Mt. Thingamejig ...

Now im not sure if Im not high enough or Im approaching them with the wrong tactics but theyre damage output seems to be just too great.

I try just concentrating on one at a time by running in hitting one a few times when theyre seperated from the others but the general damage I receive just seems to wear me down too quick before I have to cast TP to reset them.

I am level 31 dual wielding maces barb, I have 17+ points in mace mastery and am mainly using frenzy which I have a few points in aswell as its pre-requisite double swing. I have 3 or 4 points in ironskin also. My weapons are nothing special and certainly not unique but I have no problems smacking Diablo around. Have tried doing several diablo runs a night just for some quick exp and the chance to happen on some silks of the victor to try and give me a equip upgrade. Basically if anyone has any ideas or can tell me what im doing wrong please give me a shout ... or a slap

2. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Well, as you’re a melee character it is vital for you to get close to them to be able to kill them, with two of them this shouldn’t be any problem as two of the ancients are also melee monsters. Against them you can nearly eliminate one of them entirely with a trick involving the surrounding area. In the northeast corner of the area there is an area where you can stand still in the corner with only 2 possible spots where they can melee you. Standing in this place prevents the whirlwind using ancient from whirling through you so it might be a real good way to handle him but only if you can take the blows from the other ancients while fighting him and the leaper barbarian.

Other tricks is to drop rejuvenation potions in the ground before starting the fight, and picking them up fast into the belt whenever you run out of potions. This way you can basically carry more rejuvenation potions than what you can fit in your belt and it also allows you to heal yourself faster than you could if you’d use the potions from your inventory.

If nothing else works, post back and let's see if we can get a MP game running, I'm sure I can help you beat those critters :)

3. Wraithswind

Wraithswind IncGamers Member

Are you using Battle Orders? If not, start using it. Make it your best friend. Never let it leave you.

You can beat them at level 31. Use a Merc even if the only thing he does is distract them for a second.

If you're playing offline, set the game to /players 8 and run around the Bloody Foot Hills and the ice caves for a while. You should gain a few levels a lot quicker than you would fighting Diablo.

4. MeBrutox

MeBrutox IncGamers Member

and even quicker way to level if you are playing single player, is to swtich to players 8 and just run pindleskin (assumming you did not click on the waypoint down to fight nih..the necromancer guy), as you can easily gain 10-15 levels in an hour from him at level 31, all though after level 50 or so, it starts to slow down <g>

Just kill the skelly minions and the named boss right before you go down the stairs to the temple itself. Leave the skellys outside the entrance alone, as they are not worth the exp

5. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Of course, don't forget to open a new TP to 'reset' the ancients if they spawn with difficult mods like "cursed" or "fanatisim"

6. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Separating the Ancients and picking them off one by one is the key to success. A merc can help you do this.

The leap-attack guy is the one with the most potential for one-hit devastation, especially in Normal. (After that they're all deadly!) You don't want to let him hit you. If he's in the air, you should be moving away from his landing zone.

I recommend getting in his face and killing him first. The whirlwinder comes second, and then you can go after the thrower.

The Ancients are tough, but the first time I went up against them it was a lot of fun. I envy you, to be at this stage where everything in the game is new!

Good luck.

EDIT: And yeah, you can level really quickly if you go run around killing things in the early areas of Act 5. I think I'm usually level 40 or so by the time I get to the Normal Ancients.

7. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Aye, you might also want to decide to try getting some cold charms for the chill effect or trying to find a weapon with 'slows target'. On my last frenzy barb - back in 1.09 - I was lucky enough to find a wand with decrep charges on it that helped greatly.

8. Mukami

Mukami IncGamers Member

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but what do you mean by not activating the waypoint? Does this close the red portal Anya opens?

9. MikeCarroll

MikeCarroll IncGamers Member

If you kill nilathak(for the quest) and get the waypoint the red portal will close, it will not close until you complete both of these

10. DurfBarian

Note that you can still run Pindleskin without the red portal; it's just a huge pain. :D

11. Mukami

Mukami IncGamers Member

Okay, cool thanks! So just one or the other. Sounds good.

12. cloudstride

cloudstride Banned

Nope. The red portal only closes if you get the waypoint; the killing nihlathak thing was probably made up so people would have an excuse not to do the quest or something.

13. Y8z

Y8z IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help ! :)

Finally killed the buggers last night after levelling my merc up a bit and giving him some equip. Because the last time I played was so long ago mercs were useless back then but my barb friend did his job nicely. Took me about 30 million heal potions but hey - was worth it ! :)

Thanks for all the hints and tips guys ! :)

... bring on baal ! :)

14. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Good to know that you were able to beat them :thumbsup:

I guess next real challenge for you will be Minions of Destruction, they are sometimes so hard to kill

15. Black_KING

Black_KING IncGamers Member

I go throw hell before i kill that three stue on the nightmare.
    And yes Baal Minions are big problem to kill them but the game have little bug u can run from room where Baal spoun them and if they foulow you, Baal will go to World stoun chamber and you don't have to kill them any more.

:winner:

16. DurfBarian

Congrats Y8z!