Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ancients help

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by captc, Nov 3, 2006.

1. captc

captc IncGamers Member

Ancients help

Need some help here.

Got maxed valk decoy and magic arrow.

The problem is that the 3 ancients don't latch onto my decoy. Every so often one of them does but not all three. As result to stay alive I have to keep runnnig around as 2 hits wipe me out.

Nor will my valk consistenly attack any one of them either. As I run round she sort of follows me rather than attacking the ancients. Sometimes she does start atttacking but never for very long.

Best tactic i've found so far is too place the decoy in the middle and run round and round but I think i'd have to do that for about 2 hours to just take out the first of the ancients. Once i've got rid of one I reckon it's no problem as the decoy would be more effective.

Any thoughts anyone ?

2. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Cold damage can do wonders. So use Frozen arrow if you can. And if you play multi player, find some one to help you.

If neither suit or you don't want them. All I can say, try to position you valk and decoy good. And don't run. As you sad, if you run you'll drawning you valk away from it tank duty. Simply try to get it to tank and stay back while you shoot.

why not try this? Open the quest and run away to a corner. Once you have some moments time, recast the valk and decoy so that you'll be in the middle and hopefully the ancients will be attacking you valk and decoy. Then all you need to remember is to recast both before they are killed.

P.S. and why use magic arrow?
    P.P.S. If it realy doesn't work, just try to level up. It always helps and perhaps you'll find something good or find an other use for the valk.
    P.P.P.S If the valk dies, try to get one with a red armour, should give her even more massive life.

3. WrongdayJ

WrongdayJ IncGamers Member

The ancients are tough. . .no doubt about it.

I always target the one that double-throws first. He seems like the weakest of the three to me. Don't let them dictate the pace of the fight. The two brutes will mob you while the third will sit back and pelt you with the ranged attack. RUN directly for the one that is in the upper right side of the screen. Start kicking his butt and 9 out of 10 times the other two will go after your Merc/Valk/decoy. Once he's gone, then turn to the one that Whirlwinds. He's the more dangerous of the two left. Hit him as hard as you can as fast as you can. Try not to stop attacking as he will WW you any chance he gets. By this time my merc is usually long gone and the valk is on her last leg as well. Once the WW'er dies, then it's mano-a-mano with the last one. If you got enough fat purples going in, then you should be able to beat him one-on-one. If not, then run away and cast a valk between him and you and hit him from a distance while he dances with the valk.

This stratagy works well pretty well for me with just about any character- not just the 'zon.

4. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

They're intelligent and ignore your dummy-zon, in Hell level, 2 or more of them have a good chance not frozen-able.
    Keep strafe-ing. If you can life-leech enough, you don't have to run away, just keep strafe-ing.
    If any of them got dangerous mods (i.e. lightning enchanced+multishot), reroll.

5. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

just a side note for pots. I tend to buy up the empty inventory spaces and then before i start the ancients i litter pots around the area, so incase i run out I can easily pick them back up and they will be in my belt accordingly instead of me having to opening up my inventory to drink them

6. captc

captc IncGamers Member

Thanks.

Having read the posts my tactic are going to probably run to one of the corners - cast a decoy right in front of me (having watched a few times one of them does start attacking the decoy but 2 ignore but maybe that's just chance), cast my valk right on top of of the decoy and whichever one the valk attacks fire arrows like mad.

Then i'll see how long 16 purples last. I'm pretty sure if I can get rid of just one of the 3 I can take the other two out realatively easily.

I'll let you know how I get on

7. captc

captc IncGamers Member

Going to run in the corner casting decoy and valk there didn't work at all. Lasted about a minute and i was lucky to do that.

made another number of attempts. Have discovered that by running round the middle in smallish circles and running across the screen I can stay alive and get some shorts in from time to time.

In the last attempt started with about 8 purples and 40 reds. I was at it so long the reds starting disappearing off the ground !

anyway managed to kill Mr. T and got Mr M down to about 20% before I died.
    Interstingly my act1 merc lasted about 15 minutes.

Decided I need to level up a bit (i'm 79 atm) and get a Mavina helm to complete the set. Going to socket up my kit and add res/ias/ed as I can and see if I can get a better bow for my rogue.

8. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

my two cents

I find Korlic's leap attack the most deadly of ancients so I try to keep him from jumping me. I cast the the decoy right next to him at about 8-9 o'clock then run right up in his face and attack point blank from 6-7o'clock. The reasons for doing this are it forces Korlic to use his normal attack, which you should able to tank and the merc and valk should close in from the inside providing more shielding. If they don't, no biggie, (they are busy doing something you hope):laugh: :shocked: Recast the decoy at 1o'clock to Korlic and pound away at him until he is done. Then run, focus on the most hurt of the other two first and the last one is just mop up. I hope this helps.