Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ancient Tunnels running

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Turbocannon, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Turbocannon

Turbocannon Diabloii.Net Member

I've been doing some casual AT running with my sorc (I can easily kill them on /p5 with little time added compared to /p1-3), but I'm actually somewhat unsure of how to run AT properly. Since I want to commit to a longer period of trying to find those high-level uniques and get some XP at the same time on the side, I have these questions:

- What makes a good AT map?
    - Should I kill everyone if I'm looking for both items and XP, or just the champions and bosspacks? What if I'm only going for the items? Which one is more effective overall?

Would love any kind of input!

2. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

A good AT map is the one with the most number of bosspacks that you can run for the least amount of time. Basically you want the Lost City waypoint to be reasonably close to the entrance, and then doing some runs to see where the bosspacks spawn. If they're too spread out or too little the map is not good enough. You generally want a map where the bosspacks are close together. (I'll add a screenshot of my map later to make this sound a bit clearer.)
    [​IMG]
    Red dots are bosspacks (I can't exactly remember which are the most common since I haven't played in a while but you get the picture - close together, in the line of running. I don't even check the other big side of the map since it would be too much time wasted. On very few occasions I had as little as 3 bosspacks a run so you want to do at least 10 runs before deciding a map is not good enough.)

Depends on your level, but you don't really want to do full clears in any case. If you're only going for the items do /p1 all the way or bump up to /p3 for a slightly better chance for runes and more XP if it doesn't noticeably slow you down.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  3. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Have in mind few things regarding experience.
    Bosses, as well as their minions, give 5x more experience than regular monsters. There is also penalty caused by level difference between you and monsters. Up until level 90, you must kill 5 regular monsters to gain same experience as you do while killing single minion or boss of that type.
    On 91+, you must kill even more regular monsters to gain same experience you do when killing single minion.

Level 90: 5.0 (full xp from both bosses and regular monsters)
    Level 91: 6.2
    Level 92: 8.0
    Level 93: 11.6
    Level 94: 16.7 (here penalty due to level starts to kick in for bosses too)
    Level 95: 61.2 (only 5% xp from regular monsters)
    Level 96: 42.3
    Level 97: 23.5
    Level 98: 5.0 (here you get 5% xp from both bosses and regular monsters)

Experience TL;DR version: Don't bother with regular monsters. Pretend they don't exist and fully focus on only champions and bosspacks. In time you kill enough regular monsters to cover experience you gain from single minion, in that time you kill whole bosspack, or two.

Farming items:
    You have to kill ~40 regular monsters to have similar chance of getting some unique in comparison to killing single boss. So obviously, when it comes to farming unique/set items, pretend normal monsters don't exist and kill only champions and bosses. Normal monsters make sense only to farm socketables or runes.

TL;DR
    For experience AND farming items, ignore normal monsters and kill only champions and bosspacks.
    Full clears make no sense whatsoever, except to have fun.

4. Naturallog

Naturallog Diabloii.Net Member

And find socketables. Full clearing AT and pits is the best way I've found to pick up hard to find base items. Good luck finding an etherial giant thresher or sacred armor from cows, you need a higher level area.

5. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Also just as a rule of thumb from my experiences, it takes ~2 times as many runs to level than the previous, level, for every level 90+ (and probably earlier than that but I it takes so few runs that I didn't pay attention).

The exception ofc is when you reach lvl 98 and all hell breaks loose but I imagine you don't care to go that far