Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ancient Tunnels - here we go again..

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Feb 13, 2017.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I've searched the forums and internet for my questions, but I only find threads from 2012 or older. So I don't know If a lot has happen since then.

I am currently in the early phases of building my wealth, done 1000 Meph runs, 1000 Pindle, and just started doing Ancient Tunnels (50 runs in..) The short term (or long..) plan is to run

1000 Meph
    2000 Anceint Tunnels
    3000 River Of Flame
    4000 Lower Kurast
    5000 Pindle

See where that gets me.

When I run AT, I try to roll a map relatively close to the WP, but If I am to kill all the boss packs, I have to hop around quite bit, because the map is square shaped. I counted 5-8 packs total, If I clear all. But they spawn different places.

Do the effective runners just pick a routine where they are most likely to spawn, and just go that way, even if you just meet maybe 3 packs? I can also meet 5 or 6 packs on my routine. But also 3.

And is the number of total boss pack fixed? Is it possible to roll a AT map, where the total number of packs is different from another? I would thing the game is programmed for a fixed number, varying from 5-9 packs, independent on the roll.

2. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

It is indeed possible to roll a maps with different average number of bosspacks. In my knowledge, AT spawns with 3-8 bosspacks. How the amount is determined, I don't think nobody knows for sure. It probably has something to do how certain tiles align and where they fall on the map or something. Point is, some maps can be worse than others.

Whether your map is good or not depends on your runtimes and the average number of bosspacks.

Really effective runners get sub-40 second runtimes. For that you obviously need a bit practice, but it's something you should in theory be able to reach. At least try to get under a minute at first. Any map that takes longer than that, I wouldn't bother. 50 seconds should be easy with small practice, and around there is probably most of us end up when doing casual runs. Also, you should really try to get a map that has the entrance max 1-3 teleports away from the waypoint. If you're going to do thousands of runs, you don't want to waste time teleporting across the desert.

Next thing you have to do is to start counting your bosspack average. Do 100 (50 could be enough) runs and count every bosspack you kill during those runs (remember that champion packs count as one bosspack). Then divide the amount of bosspacks with the number of runs, and you have your bosspack average.

I think overall consensus is, that average between 5-6 bosses killed per run counts as good map. Closer the 6 you can get the better, over 6 being godly-tier map you'll probably never want to reroll. Under 5 I probably wouldn't bother with. I think it's in general not that hard to roll decent AT map, at least compared to Pits.

About routing: Obviously, try to go with fastest possible route with most killed bosspacks. Try to get as linear route as possible, with minimal backtracking, hitting all the spawn points you can. If there's a bosspack that only spawns 1 out of 10 runs and it costs you seconds to check the spawn point, it's probably not worth it. And of course, if you can get route where you can easily hit shrine(s) without wasting time, try and do so. It's generally wise to keep flawless amethyst inside your cube, in case they spawn as Gem Shrines.

So in a nutshell: Try to get a map you can run as close to 40 seconds as possible, with bosspack average over 5.00 (or, in other words, as close to 6.00 as possible) per run. It really depends how perfectionist you want to be with it. For casual play, I'd say anything you can run in ~50s with over 5.00 bosspacks/run should be fine.

3. Mezion

Mezion Diabloii.Net Member

Just wondering what are the pros of running Ancient Tunnels over The Pit?
    I love the Pit's layout and easy access.

4. ILikeRocks

ILikeRocks Diabloii.Net Member

Really just the character you are using. My blizzy couldn't do the pits in any decent amount of time but she flys through AT with no problems.

5. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Pros of AT vs Pit:

- blizzard sorc is powerful there and can work with poor gear, so AT is more easily doable for less rich players
    - heaven for sorc players, or like ILikeRocks said
    - higher xp gain when xp matters for leveling (sorc, fire druid with Infinity and Phoenix)
    - only better alternative to AT is barb in Pit, and if you are not barb player...

ILikeRocks likes this.
  6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

For best outcome probably just stay in AT and skip Pindle et al. Blizz can run on higher player settings without slowing down much, and improves XP and rune drops while having a chance at Tyraels.

7. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

@Burgomaster3: Tank you for your through reply. I have finished about 50 runs, and counted 5.25 packs per run. It is 4 teleport hops away from the WP, and it's kinda square shaped. When I get to a better internet connection, I could upload it, and point out my routine, and places they spawn. It would just suck so very much to find you've spent hours upon hours on a crappy map.

If I stick to my route, I will not kill all 5.25 packs over the course of thousands of runs. That number would probably be closer to 4. I would be interested in hearing the average number of packs killed pr run, using your normal route. And time.

This is starting to get complicated :) Guess I should worry more about getting under 2 minutes...