Ancient Tunnel; A gold mine?

LarryPaul

Diabloii.Net Member
Ancient Tunnel; A gold mine?

I've just changed MF'ing tactics from meph to Ancient tunnels, and the drops are just... well awesome!

in 2 days of random gaming (i'd say 5h) i've found 2 tal armors, 1 giant skull, 1 6s Eth War pike, 1 CoA, good sc's, and some other less valuable stuff, like runemaster (5sockets, but not eth) and the like.

Have I just been lucky? Or is this the normal droprate??? 'Cause it sure as hell beats the random shako or demonhead Meph drops!

btw, i'm doing a the runs with a 550mf BlizzSorc.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
I've just changed MF'ing tactics from meph to Ancient tunnels, and the drops are just... well awesome!

in 2 days of random gaming (i'd say 5h) i've found 2 tal armors, 1 giant skull, 1 6s Eth War pike, 1 CoA, good sc's, and some other less valuable stuff, like runemaster (5sockets, but not eth) and the like.

Have I just been lucky? Or is this the normal droprate??? 'Cause it sure as hell beats the random shako or demonhead Meph drops!

btw, i'm doing a the runs with a 550mf BlizzSorc.

That's unusual for the Ancient Tunnels, I used to mf them quite a bit. Good job, and congrats on the finds!

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
yep i have to concur, ancient tunnels are one of the best mf areas in the game
i started this ladder with a mf blizzer, 500mf and i got countless items of high value like ohms, ists, griffons, tal armors, griswold weapons etc

and my sorc lvled to 96 in that area and remained ladder-viable for more than 3 months (by just doing mf runs !!)
and btw she still doesn't have wsk 2 wp and never did a single baal run

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice finds! Even if you don't find a bunch of uniques, that place usually drops plenty of nice socketables.

bosoxx

Diabloii.Net Member
I must have had bad luck because i've ran the Ancient Tunnels numerous times and have got zilch. My Hammerdin is 512% MF.

But i haven't pulled anything from the Pits either so i'm not surprised.

My only decent MF runs have been the Halls of Pain and Vaught.

Wurmer

Diabloii.Net Member
Ancient tunnel is a pretty good place to MF. I used to mf there quite a bit and it was making for a change when the other usual spots were getting boring.

I don't remember for sure but Ancient tunnel is an area lvl 85 isn't it ? if so that would explain why it's a good mf spot.

kavehtabriaz

Diabloii.Net Member
its is lvl 85,but the drops were horrible for me.yah quality of drops seems to be unusal.From my experince the place is so small compared to the pit and drops are horrible.

But nice job on coa

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm MF'ing a lot in Lvl 85 areas for uniques and high-end socketables. I'm usually playing in the Pit (Act1) and the WSK (Act5), but also from time to time in the Ancient Tunnels (Act2), and also (but very rarely) in the Mausoleum (Act1). All these places are Lvl 85 areas. I've found countless great items there, be it uniques, sets or socketables.

In 2 days, you've been very lucky to find all these items, but all in all, you were meant to find those kind of items sooner or later there :thumbsup: !

FullOtto

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Ancient Tunnel; A gold mine?

Hey since the new ladder started my first char is a lvl 85 zealer, I only have like 180 mf, AM I SCREWED FOR MFING?

Pismeyer

Diabloii.Net Member

Hey since the new ladder started my first char is a lvl 85 zealer, I only have like 180 mf, AM I SCREWED FOR MFING?
No, not necessarily. Btw-Are you including your base 100% MF in your total? You may be at 280% MF which is ok. I keep my MF at around 300% and I've been doing fine.

Also, don't limit yourself to MF'in on just one area, try multiple places and if you can try to incorporate quests into your MF games, you'd be surprised at what you will find.

GL :thumbup:

P

lukefojut

Diabloii.Net Member

Although the Ancient Tunnels are one of the high lvl areas I hate both them and the Pit! Once ran the Pit roughly 100 times in a day and found absolutely nothing worth more than Pul-Um.

ColdFireSp

Diabloii.Net Member

You probably know that, but... 100 runs are nothing in order to get a really nice drop.

redjellosux

Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats on the great finds. My best drops in the pit so far is a vex, tals armour that I remember the names of and few other higher end stuff.

I have found some nice stuff in the pit but nothing that great in the ancient tunnels but I rather do those areas instead since its so boring to do andy/meph/diablo/pindle and baal. I sometimes do cows just for tickles and fun to change it around a bit also while mf'ing since they do drop some good stuff at times but I mostly go there for charms and jewels.

FullOtto, doing the Pit, Ancient Tunnels and the Mausoleum doesn't require you having so much MF really. You can get good stuff anyways in those areas.

lukefojut

Diabloii.Net Member

You probably know that, but... 100 runs are nothing in order to get a really nice drop.
Well, I find decent items from Eldritch and Shenk more frequently than once every hundred runs and there's only two of them, not the dozens of creeps to be found in each and every run in the Pit :wink:

NASE

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, actually there is.

Look at the formula to find lets say a stormshield for a certain monsters. I looks something like this.

total_chance = base_chance(players, difficulty...)

Now lest add 100 mf. Then we get something like.
total_chance = base_chance(players, difficulty...) * (1+Mf_return(100)).

Notice the 1. That equals to 100% and is sometime said to be base mf. Just like with weapon damage, you are having that same 1 representing the fact that you are doing 100% of your damage if you don't have offweapon ed. Thus one could argue that you are having 100% base offweapen ed or 100 base mf. It just comes down wither you define mf as the argument of Mf_return or as the factor that modifies the base chance.

P.S. However, I disagree with Pismeyer. Nobody includes that 1 when they calculate their mf.