Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ancient, My Enemy

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Darkwell, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

Ancient, My Enemy

Hello again. Thought I'd take a moment of your time to recount the ordeal of my hydra bowsorcs' attempt at the Hell ancients. The 9 attempts went like this( but not in the order given, I grouped them for convenience)

Once, Korlic leaped over small building in a single bound, she died.
    Once, died to Mawdics' axes.
    Twice, died teleporting thru ancient way.
    Twice, one ancient spawned cold aura, she turned blue and died.
    Twice, hydra took down Mawdic and Korlic, Talic FE, so tried to static him, let him get too close and died.

Last attempt - used the tried and true 'run, cast hydra, lead ancients thru hydra' tactic and Mawdic and Korlic went down(this takes about 45 min. on average). Again, only Talic FE is left. Switched to 'run shoot run' with her bow. This worked fairly well, she stayed well ahead of Talic to play it safe. Since she had decide NOT to try static again, it was 40 min. until Talics' health bar was over half way down. It was going well. And then, the 'Horror of Horrors' lit the screen.....yes, My_Immortal6.....she was out of arrows... or nearly so. After a couple of more times around the stone circle, she parked Talic in the lower left corner and teleported to the upper right corner to ponder her options. An invetory check revieled 39 arrows left.(I yelled at my screen alot about this time) Checking her spell selection list(fire tree is useless) she finds: 1 point in ice bolt(3 with equipment) and 1 point (3) in ice blast. She opts for ice blast, puts it on right-click and heads off to fetch Talic. She went to a 'run blast blast blast run' tactic and in only 55 min. she had Talics' health bar to nothing. She switched back to 'run shoot run' with her bow and after 3-4 times around the stone circle, Talic fell. It was over, finally over. She entered the WSK, opened a TP to town, collected Wendy and saved the game.

2. Sukkoi19

Sukkoi19 IncGamers Member

Congrats. The Hell Ancients suck. I remember thinking the first I fought them, that I could tank them easily while I rearranged some stuff in my inventory. Ahhh lifes little lessons.

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

*gulp*

Nice fight(s). Congrats!

4. Round 4

Round 4 IncGamers Member

Now that's dedication.

5. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer IncGamers Member

So this fight took over an hour and a half?! Holy moly! Congrats on your achievement! You must be one patient dude! :p

~Wolfgang

6. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

i'm sorry i just could not fight them for an hour... that's a daaaamn long time...

of course i've never fought hell ancients... 8(
    I probably will not fight them until i'm level 90...

btw... i read somewhere that they nerfed the super levelling one gets when they defeat ancients, you only get one level now? Anyone know what the best level to be at so when you defeat them you don't lose the extra XP? At all 3 skill levels?

Nar

7. chase_encode

chase_encode IncGamers Member

Yikes! I don't know if I would have that kind of dedication.
    After the first five death I would have considered a MP game. Good to see you stuck with it.

8. Darkwell

Wolfgang, thanks

Recall that on 2 occassions I had Mawdic and Korlic down and died tring to speed-up the fight with Talic using static. I wasn't about to let this one get away from me.

9. SuperSavage

SuperSavage IncGamers Member

wow, good job. I have made a hydra sorc just once back in 1.09, and they are pretty tricky and not all that strong unless good, but man it looks like you had quite a fight making it to the end, congrats succeeding. :)

10. Darkwell

Nar,

I started at the waypoint with about 1/4 of the exp. bar white. After dying so many times it had dropped to near 0 by the last fight. When it was over, the bar was about 1/3 white. Not much exp. for the effort.

11. Ehtirno

Ehtirno IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, dedication... I know what that means... This is a lot like me spending 2 hours killing normal Big D with an untwinked Ranger... Who couldn't hit things worth crap... Can you say NASTY?

And Good work on Hell Ancients :) Now its just Lister left, and then you're through. :D ( We all know who's the REAL boss down there, right? ) :D

12. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I did my first ever solo hell ancients today, with my IK barb

I got no auras, no stone skin, no lit enchant, no extra fast or extra strong...it was the wimpiest ancients I've ever seen...only Mawdac could really do enough damage to worry me :) congrats on ancients with your sorc

13. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Congratulations, Darkwell, on winning such a challenging battle. It's great to hear such stories, as it means that I'm not the only one that finds this game particularly challenging at times, and can put in a lot of time getting past the two slowest enemies - Diablo (particularly in Normal) and the Ancients.

Well done!

(You may be surprised to hear that I have heard of a longer battle with the hell ancients this week - Nemar in the 3-way tourney took 1hr 55min to get past them in his final attempt, so it really is a great achievement).

14. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

congratulation , that's a great job

I take a :drink: for you

15. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

:surprise:

I wouldn't have had so much persistence/patience

Congrats!

16. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Wow that is real commitment, congratulations on persevering and finally taking them down.

Great job!!!

17. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Hey congrats man thats one hell of a fight. Yeah my worst nightmare was running out of arrows facing The Ancients. :lol: Glad to see you pulled through. :thumbsup: Make sure you let us know how you fare against Baal.

18. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

you fools dont know dedication, dedication was my first D2 char, a palidin with equal stat distribution, and 1 point in every skill, like 10 in foh, 20 thorns, and 8 conversion, killing hell diablo using a blood crescant scimitar that he had been wearing since act2 normal that fight took upwards of 5 hours :D. level like 18 zeal, before the patch that limited swings, which resulted in many many many deaths while swinging.

19. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

:lady: Hats off to you all who have the patience to fight that long...I for one do not. My necro got lucky and had little or no trouble with them...was a little anticlimatic. I thought they'd be much harder. Course having 10 skele's and a Merc might have had something to do with it. :uhhuh:

20. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

most hearty congratulations! they are certinaly the stumbling block for all chars dedicated to using a certain elemental attack... and its just not worth putting points into another skill just because of them. great job!