Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

An Inferno Challenge Suggestion that doesn't simply involve Nerfing

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Aykisthegreek, May 29, 2012.

1. Aykisthegreek

Aykisthegreek Diabloii.Net Member

*Full Disclosure, I have not reached Inferno mode yet, my highest level character is a Level 58 Monk in Act 3 Hell.*

I've been reading a lot about the huge difficulty jump in inferno mode of Diablo III and it seems that Blizzard did this on purpose to root out possibly over-advantageous skills. To balance it they're apparently going to cut damage and health of monster to make the difficulty better that way.

But what about another idea to make the difficulty stand out instead of simply huge damage and health boosts to monsters? Why not add a random single affix to trash mobs in inferno? That way every enemy becomes unique in its own way. Damage dealt and health would still have to be nerfed as they're apparently way too hard now and would just be ridiculous with affixes on trash mobs, but this offers a different challenge and more randomness to the game.

What do you guys think? Any other different suggestions you guys might have?

2. Killafornia

Killafornia Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah so we can kite a pack with 4 enchants into a trash pack adding another 10 enchants. Sounds horrible.

3. saint_of_killers

saint_of_killers Diablo: IncGamers Member

Nerf monster dmg. To balance it out, buff their HP and/or spawn amount.

Blizz acknowledged themselves the biggest issue w/ Inferno is "spike" dmg (i.e. ppl getting 1-shot). However, they've said ppl are undergeared in Inferno. ...but I've heard horror stories of 50k hp, 300 rst all players still getting 2-shot in A3. So...not sure what kinda gear Blizz expects us to get.

And I was thinking of that as well the other day. The key will have to be nerfing the monster dmg out put. But I'm all for regular mobs getting random affixes. Would add to the challenge of Inferno (assuming dmg is nerfed).

w/ the right balancing, it won't be.

4. Killafornia

Don't know about you, but the last thing I want is to run into waller, vortex, jailer, nightmarish all the time. It'd be annoying even if it wasn't threatening. Losing control of my character all the time is terrible.

5. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

I am more worried about the 100 puddles on the floor, and the laser beam clutter.

6. saint_of_killers

...like i said. w/ the right balancing, it won't be an issue.

Limit what affixes can spawn on trash packs. Lower the affix amount on elites. Nerf dmg, so you won't have to worry about getting 1-shot. Sorry, but "annoying" doesn't matter as long as the mechanics are fair and balanced. Inferno is supposed to be a challenge. Get over it.

7. Killafornia

Unavoidable CC is a false challenge, even more so then getting 1 shotted. So for example if jailer was a skill shot that mobs aimed at you insead of freely hitting you then it'd be fine. Like frozen for example. Frozen is good design. Jailer and vortex are not.

8. FaerieStorm

FaerieStorm Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I hate that there is no way to Doge the jailer or vortex affixes. Frozen you need to watch out for this things on the ground and run around, but jailer and vortex never miss you... EVER!!! You can avoid diablo's bone prisons but not elite pack mobs jailer affixes?? Vortex + jailer + arcane is nasty.

9. Deguello

Deguello Diabloii.Net Member

I'd like to see jailer and vortex have some kind of visual indicator like frozen so that players have a chance to avoid them.

10. Aykisthegreek

Aykisthegreek Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah vortex and jailer need some way to be avoided so that there's some skill involved. Even waller leaves one part of the wall open so you can escape. Vortex should have a range around the target and there should be some kind of tell that a vortex is being called in. Jailer would be even more simple because you can go the Diablo route and just show on the ground where the jail is going to pop up.

Also as per to my idea, perhaps trash mobs would simply not be able to have some of the crazier affixes, but maybe some of the lesser ones. I could see how a huge mob of fallen with fire chains or something would just be ridiculously annoying. But maybe a mob with teleport, or extra health, or even some new affixes that aren't in the game currently.

11. kar

kar Diabloii.Net Member

12. d3mon

d3mon Diabloii.Net Member

Inferno definitely needs a resurrection of the good ol' original MSLE for pure joy

13. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

I really like your idea of giving all trash mobs a random mob affix. That could be fun.

I hope they do the following too.
    Limit champion affixes so some combinations cant occur. Such as Vortex + AoE **** On Ground.
    Reduce max run speed on some enemies - some of them might as well be teleporting with the run speed they currently have. Its fine they run fast, but ultra fast run speed really removes a lot of the counter-abilities classes have access to.

Reduce damage SLIGHTLY (depending on the abilities). Really good gear should still matter and be required, but the challenge should not come from avoiding to get one-shot (since that is not really a challenge, just crap), but rather avoiding to be killed over time, bu using your skills "correctly".

Increase enemy HP to compensate. Especially on bosses, but also on many elite packs.

Make drops better from act 1, so people can actually gear up for act 2 in act 1.

Buff normal mobs throughout inferno. They shouldn't become mindless trash with only elite spawns offering a challenge. Your idea would be damn awesome for this purpose.

Fix invisible projectiles! And fix the (lag?) issue where the game has no idea where your character is in relation to AoE, projectiles etc. resulting in random deaths far away from anything.

14. JaMonk

JaMonk Diabloii.Net Member

To All of you complaining about Jailer being unavoidable and spewing about bad design:

Every single class has skills that can escape from a Jail. And Vortex can't get you if you're not in the mob's line of sight. Switch up your build a little, use the environment.

15. saint_of_killers

qft - my sentiments exactly.