Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

An end to melee for me

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Wolfedude, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

An end to melee for me

Well my level 64 hc old fashioned paladin experiment has come to an end. I got IM'd, I guess, by a knight in nightmare Worldstone last night and down he went in 1 hit. I never saw the curse and had not seen a knight but when I looked up there were 2 hovering over me while I read about my deeds.

Equipped with the finest items in the game; resistances all at 90% except lightning at 95%. Absorb items worn. 1100 life.

I have learned my lesson. No more melee for me. I see no reason to play any character that is that fragile. So I guess I will stick to trappers, necros and sorceresses. Maybe an occasional zon - strictly bow or javalins.

A man has got to know his limitations and I now know mine. I also know the game's limitations. I see no reason to try and fight against those limitations.

2. tooie1

tooie1 IncGamers Member

My druid with his almost perfect upgrade ribcracker died the same way to some knights around the corner. Too bad there isn't some hack to let you see monsters like that....

I think the consensus is that melee got hit with the nerf stick a little too hard in 1.10. They're palyable, just not very fun.

My conc barb, wolf, and pally are *painfully* slow killers in hell (and this is with pretty good equip)

Don't know if blizz thought they were too powerful before or what, but without a team behind you, good luck

3. rpgforumsnet

rpgforumsnet IncGamers Member

I strictly use Berzerk in those areas, you never know whether an OKnight is around the corner...

4. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

Wow. Our experience is completely opposite. I love to mf with a sorc. But I find that she is so fragile that she is stuck at lvl 80. Now, she is great at running normal and nm cows and so far has given me 3 sets of ck boots, I am scared to death at running her in hell.

My barb is lvl 81. He is the typical slow killa, but he could be a guardian at any time. I am blessed with itamz though.

5. det

det IncGamers Member

No amount of l33t gear will safe you from IM. The stronger your weapon, the faster you are dead.

IM is known to be around in CS and since 1.10 in WS as well..its just a part of the game and not even a bug.

Hack? Phew...dust yourself off and rise to the challenge. Don't give up, build the next melee character. Its either them or us :lol:

6. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

The weird thing about IM is it has caused my Tesladin to run around in Act5 Hell with a dagger found in Act2 Normal (useless damage - but had ITD) so I can't really hurt myself!

Live and learn I guess:)

Chill

7. sonikki_

sonikki_ IncGamers Member

8. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

No sense in giving up melee, you just have to learn how to deal with the areas where there is IM and it is actually very simple.

In Worldstone the monsters on each lvl spawn in sets of 3. Once you have identified 3 different types of monsters then you know wether it is IM free or loaded. Now, minions/spawns dont count, so if you have those greater mummies and skelles they only count as 1.

9. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

10. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

The problem in 1.10 isn't with melee builds being nerfed... it's with non-melee (bowazons excepted) being too strong. Hell difficulty *ought* to be hard, slow-going, and dangerous. It's called "Hell," after all.

Anyway, don't get discouraged.

11. det

det IncGamers Member

Ah well.. deaths occur thru all classes. And every class has a lv 97/98 on ladder.
    I can honestly say that so far my kicksin is the most fun. Zons are frustrating indeed, but so could be Throwers. Lots of ppl think Necros, especially Skelliemancers are boring, yet they are the safest class IMHO.

12. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

I loved my barb, I just used beserk no problem. My ww wolf is another issue. There are parts in the game where he just acts as a shield. Plus does not have the defense of the barb. My barb was 87 when he died and any of my characters would of bought it when he died in the same situation.

13. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

i dono guys, i personally like mele still. the only non mele i like is trapsins, and summoning necros which are half mele with the skellys :p

my kickasins are damn fun, and incredably efficent killers also. CoS and nearely 100% CB renders things dead in short time until some necro amps everything and then the gloams shoot i would immagine lol cant say im sorry thats never happened, but just thinking about that makes me shudder.

my IKbarb (first and only incarnation) died just before he was 76, and the only reason he died is because i was lulled into a false sense of security by all the killing freek meteror sorces in my baal game so i just casually stood there while viper magi speared me to death :)

14. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I think the game has definitely shifted in favor of castor type builds, but melee is still viable if you're careful and patient.

15. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

I have also learned my lesson that way:

I learned not to attack in CS and worldstone with my mellee characters. If possible (not screwing up resists) swich weapons and walk around there with bare fists.

Relocate the weapon swich button to a button you dont accidentally touch. I replaced W with F12.

16. JabberMonkey

JabberMonkey IncGamers Member

I found a pretty good balance with my frenzy barb who's currently lvl 90. I never use him in public games so I'm sure his killing power would blow in anything higher than a 2 player game. Right now he's been delegated with hell baal runs, and when I run that area I switch out to my throwing weapons (Gimmer/Lacerator). Works like a charm against death knights. By the way these baal runs are solo...sonner or later he'll bite the big one.

17. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Thanks for the condolences folks but my style of play is not going to lend itself to melee characters anymore. I don't mind living on the edge but I feel that I have to spend too much time building a character to have an overpowered monster skill overthrow my plans. Nope, I will stick to distance killers from now on. I had not lost a character in 8 months and was probably way too cockey; and I have had a few close calls with my ranged attackers. But that I can understand. And accept. Hey, if I didn't want the possibility of death I wouldn't play hc. But I feel that IM is an overpowered skill; from the monsters standpoint.
    If Blizzard wanted to make IM a killer curse I would have no problem with it. BUT, how many of you use IM as your main curse for your necromancers? If it were as deadly a curse for the players as it is for the monsters it would be a fair and equal standoff. But it is not. If I could put my golem out and curse a monster with IM and have him die in one hit the way I did, no problem. But try and make your way through the game using that as your main curse against melee monsters.
    Nope, gonna stick with what works for me.
    Now, if I could ever just figure out how to play a hammerdin successfully I could play pallidins.

18. Wayfaring

Wayfaring IncGamers Member

If you love playing zealots as much as I do... you'll try again. Your first post pretty much stated my feelings on killing another one in a long string of pallies. After a few weeks, I tried again... vowing to be extra, extra careful this time. Two weeks later, I was reading his deeds again due to IM. :grrr: After about a month, I had to start another one. He's 70 now, just starting hell.

The plan this time (other than being extra, extra, extra careful) is to have glimershreds on switch. Hopefully, when he gets to CS or WS, I'll be able to use the glimmers to hold my own. I'm also going to try and stay away from those areas to level.

I also tried a hammerdin somewhere in my string of pallies, but its just not the same when a pally is more worried about FCR than IAS. I decided if I was going to play a caster, I might as well play a sorc. Good luck if you try again.... (betting you will)