Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

An attempt at the classic slowamancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Ax2Grind, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

An attempt at the classic slowamancer

I'm going to bed just after I post this, so you can all have your jollies making fun of the guy who knows nothing about Necromancers.

First, I've checked the threads for a specific slowamancer build and found nothing. I also checked for slowing caps, and even posted in a few threads some time ago, so I'm pretty sure I'm going in the right direction.

Second, it's a total slowing theme, so items with Slow Missile abilities to non-Amazon classes, for instance, is important.

Third, this build gains little from +skills, so class-specific/beneficial items (like wands and voodoo heads) aren't necessary.

With all this said, the following questions arise:

Is there anything other than Sanctuary that gives a non-Amazon Slow Missile ability?
    Since an A2NM defense mercenary (Holy Freeze) can only target one person with their Razortine/Kelpie Snare/You Get The Idea, a Riphook is the ideal two-handed/range weapon for the character (to target the monsters the merc isn't attacking), but what would be the ideal single-handed weapon to go with Sanctuary (assuming the answer to the above question is no)?
    Is Holy Freeze/Decrepify/Clayfication/Item Slowing/Cold Damage overdoing it or is that just making sure damage can be done to/it's possible to control true physical/cold immunes?
    Decrepify, Clay Golem, Raise Skeleton Mage, and Revive are definite maximized skills with this concept, but is there a fifth skill that fits it (such as Golem Mastery to increase the chance of successful golem attack), and if not, should it just be Summon Resist to keep them all alive longer?

I'll try thinking of some more (including ones I've forgotten already) later. I've already picked out a few theme names, just need a character name to fit the build and I'll make the character later tonight.

2. saveordie

saveordie IncGamers Member

My lvl ** Bonemancer uses Holy Freeze merc w/Kelpie Snare, Clay Golem, and Decrepify to slow melee type monsters to a crawl. Dim Vision/Bone Prison shuts down ranged attackers.

I think anything more than Holy Freeze/Kelpie/Clay Golem/Decrepify combo is overkill from a slowing standpoint. When I fight any of the Act bosses in Hell with this combo, it practically breaks their AI. Baal and Duriel go into a wierd slow motion attack animation that never resolves itself! Too funny and very easy. This is with only one point spent in Clay Golem and Decrepify, and Kelpie Snare is cheap and easy to find. Good stuff.

Edit: Don't worry about the Clay Golem hitting anything, if the monster hits the Golem = same effect. Trust me on this.

3. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

By classic do you mean non-exp pac?

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

No, there isn't.

Blackbog's Sharp comes with 50% Slow Target. You can get the AR up for that one by putting points in PDagger.

As saveordie said, it is probably a bit much. You can make a monster very slow with just a few of those ways. But it is nice to have a bit back-up for the Cold Immunes.

If you are going for Mages you need SM.

@saveordie : Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

No reason to max decrep. More points in it only increases the curse duration IIRC. I would only put 1 point in it and let +skills do the rest. I also wouldn't advise all those points in revives. By the time you've raised 20 minions in between drinking pots to replace all that mana the first ones will already start dying on you. 1-4 points here should work fine if you have any +skill items.