Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

An Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mikachu, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

An Afterlife?

What do people think happens after this life?
    If anything of course.
    It just seems pointless (imo) if nothing happens...how can there be nothing?
    Surely there must be *something*.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it, just a random trail of thought haha. ^_^ :scratchchin:

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Re: An Afterlife?

I disagree. In my opinion it makes life precious which in turn makes me determined to make the most of it and enjoy what I have while I have it.

Besides, what's so wrong if there is nothing? Finally we're free of our fragile little shells, the shackles of our limited consciousnesses and all of our wants and needs. It's the ultimate freedom. We finally achieve perfection ("Nothing is perfect" - literally). I find nothing distressing or wrong or pointless about that.

Sorry if that doesn't make a lick of sense to anybody. I confess my coffee to blood ratio is pretty low this morning. [​IMG]

Just to clarify, I'm agnostic - I don't have a clue what happens after we die. Honestly, I don't care much either. I'll find out soon enough - we all will... except maybe Keith Richards.

3. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

Let us say for example, that after this world there is absolutly nothing. For the sake of argument. It is, for me, completly impossible to see this. Why? Well I suppose I just don't believe it, maybe my youth tells me to dream haha.

I am not religious in anyway. But if there is nothing, was this life a waste? It seems sad to me that so many people should build up their lives around religion (as many people do) to simply have it crushed? I personally don't believe in heaven or in hell.

You say then that we are finally free from the shackles if there is nothing, but hmm I disagree, because if there is nothing, we can't tell, because we are....nothing?

Life is definitely precious, but sometimes I just really have the feeling that there was/is another life in front of/behind of us.
    :ponder:

4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

It is not really the end of you when you die, provided you have at least one child to carry your genes. You really do live through your kids, in a sense. Research has found that we become more like our parents as we get older. So if you are male and you have a son, let's say, your son will behave much as you did when you were alive.

Our minds want to glamorize things, to the point where we make poems about rocks and empty space. This, imo, is why people believe in an afterlife. The real glamor should be in knowing your offspring will carry your genes, ensuring the survival of your genes. This is practically immortality. If your genes survive, then this ensures your 'survival' long after you're dead.

5. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

6. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I don't see there being much of an afterlife. I believe that whatever energies I have get passed on, back into the dirt, air and wherever else they may go to be part of new things.

Hmph.

7. SonataArctica

SonataArctica IncGamers Member

Ive always said that there is no such thing as "nothing" and there never will be. I mean, to put it in to context, that's like saying "everything".

You can't ever have everything somewhere and you can't have nothing either. But you sure can have SOMETHING.

Whether that 'something' is substantial or not is the question. Ok, so sure, the afterlife could just be an eternity of a dot of white against a black background(or a dot of black against a white background). But technically that is 'something'

On the flip side, It could be as substantial as "pearly gates and singing angels" as the Christians have foretold.

As an agnostic, I think that it falls somewhere in between there. Somewhere between .000001% and 99.999999%

Ya dig?

.... And yes, I'm aware that most of you will read that and be like "wtf?". But that's just how I boil it down. So yea. The End. Go away.... Don't look at me like that!

Edit: Oh and btw, if, when you think of Nothing you imagine complete blackness.... That, in and of itself, (the blackness) is something.

8. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Energy is never lost ... just transformed.

We are all part of the cosmos.

9. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

Hmm well @MYK yes our physical parts are transferred into the earth.

I suppose the question is also partly *do you believe that the human body has a soul? Regardless of religion.*

If we do have some kinda of, spiritual side (saying what a soul actually is seems difficult) where would it go? Sure our physical energy is transformed and rots away.

*pokes herself*

yeah hmm I agree with Sonata that there can't really be nothing, if there is an eternity of white light you have white light = something.

*pokes brain* strange topic.

10. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

Richards is an android. one day, the skin will melt off of his face and he will be revealed in his true form- a T-800 that was VERY defective. so defective that they tossed him back so far because they did not want to deal with his defectiveness.

no offense towards my mum, but i hope to GOD that is NOT true.

i feel so. i hope there is an afterlife. yes, i want to rest, but i hope there is something so i can see my loved ones again. and i believe in reincarnation. ofc, when our souls come back to earth, we are not going to remember anything really (as humans, our minds can't handle such things. and if we do remember something from a past life, it usually comes in the form of dreams) so we just kind recycle...

idk if any of that makes sense, but yes, i believe in an afterlife. idk what it consists of, but i believe in some kind of action (reincarnation or chillin' out in whatever plane of existance).

11. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

[​IMG]

12. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

It's not really a question of religion. I don't believe in any god, but I don't disregard the possibility.

Ofc if you are religious, you tend to believe in the excistance of some kind of heaven. I'm not saying that the afterlife (if there is one) is heaven.

I'm wondering if there is more to the body then just the physical part of us. That part rots away into the ground, and becomes well, dust.

But spiritual side? A soul of some kind? Could be possible. There are so many rumours about *ghosts* and *spirits* and although a huge number of these could be fake, what if they aren't? Just one real case could be true, and then what is that?

13. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

An afterlife eh?

Nah don't really believe in that. I figure it'll be like those days you go to sleep and dream absolutely nothing. You just suddenly wake the next day, and no dreams or images at all during the night appeared. Although you won't wake up when dead obviously.

As for ghosts... don't really believe in those eithers. But I do think there are some other more advanced race out there. And I'm just not meaning technologically advanced, but their whole physioligy (SP?) is different, and that perhaps they can learn to exist on a... well I guess higher plane so to speak after death.

Yea I know, sounds sort of like ascended beings from Stargate... but I wouldn't be surprised if there are beings similar to that. Ofc without all the fancy abilities and such.

14. Vodnik

Vodnik Banned

The destination doesn't matter, it's how you get there.

Don't worry about it. The ending is part of the surprise! Enjoy yourself while you can.

15. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

"the meaning of life is to give life meaning"?

That comes pretty close to what I believe and I wish I were able to explain it better. But I'm not.

16. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed IncGamers Member

As someone who believes in God, I find the question of the exact nature of afterlife rather pointless. Ecclesiastes put it best:

I said in my heart, “God will judge the righteous and the wicked; for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.” I said in my heart, “As for the sons of men, God tests them, so that they may see that they themselves are like animals. For that which happens to the sons of men happens to animals. The same one thing happens to them. As the one dies, so the other dies. Yes, they have all one breath; and man has no advantage over the animals: for all is vanity. All go to one place. All are from the dust, and all turn to dust again. Who knows the spirit of man, whether it goes upward, and the spirit of the animal, whether it goes downward to the earth?”

Therefore I saw that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his works; for that is his portion: for who can bring him to see what will be after him?

17. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I ain't countin' on nothin'

18. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

This question may be equivalent to 'where were you before you were born?'. Nowhere I suppose and it wasn't such a terrible problem.

19. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

What the soul might be is maybe beyond our thinking.Just think about what makes you you and not someone else and the answer lies somewhere in there and then the anwer about an after life.The thing is even if your sense of self reamerges in another being there would be no memory of the previous so we might never know, an unanswerable question.

I know this is impossible but if you were to take 2 brains(yours and another persons) and swap a molecule at a time at what point might the other brain become you or would it ever maybe its a very small part that that is the 'you'.

20. trashX

trashX IncGamers Member

I'll be honest. I laughed.

An afterlife is for people that don't want to admit that ultimately life has no meaning, or rather a circular one.