Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Amp & PI's

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ZappaFan, Mar 17, 2004.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Amp & PI's

My throw barb is using dual Lacerator's, which have 33% chance to cast level 3 amp. As fast as they throw with a little extra IAS, everything is amp'd pretty much all the time, except when the 50% flee happens of course.

This will probably come under the heading of "OK everybody knew this except me", but here goes.

I had thought that the physical resistance reduction that amp causes did not work on Physically Immune monsters. But in playing my throw barb through hell, I can see first hand that Amp does INDEED work on PI's. In fact, any time a PI is amp'd, the notation of Physically Immune disappears from his mods. Viola, no longer PI! The first few times I saw this I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I don't play Necro's much, but I had thought for sure that I remembered reading that Amp doesn't work on PI's.

Huh, learn something new with this game all the time.

I tell ya, I just love this throw barb with those Lacerators. I have a couple of Warshrikes that I wanted to try when he hits high enough level, but the way these Lacerator's work I bet I'll switch right back.

2. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Dont worry Zappa. I just found that out for myself a few months ago when i played my 1st necro. You'd be amazed how many people dont know that.

3. Frezzist

Frezzist IncGamers Member

It works with decrepify, too, but since that only has a 50% physical reduction, I don't know if it would as well as amp on normal pi monster that recieve the stone skin stat.

My ww druid has a merc with 5% chance for amp and it works somewhat well for pis. Not great, though.

4. Leper

Leper IncGamers Member

There are some monsters that AMP doesn't remove phys immune from. I can't remember exactly what the requirements are for it not to remove it, but I think it's something along the lines of a naturally phys immune boss with stone skin mod.

Leper

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

NOOOOB!!!!!!!

Decrep removes also, but some monster it wont remove it but amp will. Never tried to figure out which and why, I jsut cast accordingly!

I HATE FLEE, but I thinkI am going to make a towwer with thos Laceraters.

6. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

gib lacerators plzzzzz :worship:

i'm about to run into this issue firsthand myself... my storebought spears are great for nm a5 solo games, but larger games they just don't cut it, even with a decent lvl might merc. i'm almost relegated to bo #%$^* in baal runs, except on the way there (mages and lizards get cut down by spears pretty nicely from a safe distance) if we're running.

i'm gonna need to find me some lacerators and/or glimmers... where did you get yours ZF? If you found em, where? If you traded for em, what did you have to offer to get them? I can't even find them listed on AS pages, at least by following the "unique weapons >> throwing weapons" method. Thanks!

edit: stinger, flee with a thrower ain't too shabby... when they run away they run in straight lines, which makes them easy to pick off... it's only a problem if they run diagonally away from you... it's great fun to let a pack run to you, howl to scare them away, then taunt to bring them back to you... all in nice straight lines to pick them off one at a time:D

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Try and bump up your crushing blow some if you can Conner. I know this isnt always easily done but CB owns and makes a hugh difference with less than steller damage.

I also have multiple sets of rare War Javs with 350-400 ED which i have been very tempted to spend the runes on, but I find it against my nature to "burn" UM runes as for most my D2 career I have seemed to have little luck in finding them.

8. kridebbent

kridebbent IncGamers Member

Amp reduces physical resist by 50%, UNLESS the monster is immune, in which case amp is at half effectiveness. (This is true for all immunes, example, Lower Resist is at 1/2 effectiveness vs. elemental immunes.)

So any monster which has less than 125% physical resistance will have their immunity broken by Amp.

Decrepify is the same except that it only reduces phys resist by a base of 25%, so only monsters with less than 112.5% phys resist will have their immunity broken.

(Any monster that has >= 100% base resist is considered "immune")

9. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

I always heard Amp was -100% Physical Resistance and Decrepify was -50% Physical Resists. I'll post a link if I find it. Where did you get your information?

It's on the Arreat Summit Necro Skills page:
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/necromancer-curses.shtml

10. lfd

lfd IncGamers Member

Right idea, _completely_ wrong numbers.

Amp damage reduces physical resistance by 100%, decrepify by 50%. As with all resistance-lowering skills (except cold mastery), these work at 20% (that's a fifth, not a half) effectiveness against immunes.

There are some monsters that have more than 100% resistance to physical damage; as you say, 'stone skin' (which adds 80% physical resistance) will often push a monster over 120% physical resistance (e.g. blood lord vampires; this is how you can get a physical immune in normal difficulty). 120% resistance or higher is a 'true' immunity in that it cannot be broken. This is less true for elemental resistances since conviction and lower resist will stack, but for physical resistance only amp and decrep will reduce it, and they're both curses, so not stackable.

11. det

det IncGamers Member

This does indeed come under the heading of "OK everybody knew this except me", ... :lol:

Never was clear about the way what worked when, but as KTA whizzed thru hell first time it was a big eye-opener as suddenly no monster had had any immunities anymore. If Conviction did not work, Amp did..or Decrep.

That's why Reapers Toll is such a nice merc weapon..wish I had one