Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Amount of MF matter anymore?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by [C.A.P]NoKturnaL, Feb 9, 2004.

1. [C.A.P]NoKturnaL

[C.A.P]NoKturnaL IncGamers Member

Amount of MF matter anymore?

It seems as if the amount of MF you have doesn't matter doing certain Bosses/Unique monsters.

For example, I've done over 300 Pindle runs with my sorc and she has 700 MF and the best thing I've found was a RavenFrost. Yesterday I started doing Pindle with my Zon (which is x100 easier mind you) and got 2 IK armor within 15 runs, and my Zon had a total of 34 MF.

Meph IMO does depend on MF but I don't think Pindle does. I've seen alot of people say Pindle requires 600+ MF to get anything good from him, which is ********.

What do you guys think?

2. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

They have nerfed pindle drops so i don't recommend running him...

I have good luck with pit runs, baal runs, glacial trail, and meph runs..

3. Daevren

Daevren IncGamers Member

So you think MF doesn't work because you were lucky on 15 pindle runs?

Almost everyone is using an MF character. If MF didn't work wouldn't we know it by now? Woudn't there be tons of people claiming that MF didn't matter a bit?

Your individual experiences in DII do not reflect the statistic system. The statistic system is way bigger than your life, your imagination. Know this.

The only way to know something about MF is to look into the source or have Blizzard tell it.

It is not practical to measure a(lets say) 0.001% chance. That is 1 out of 100,000. So after 10,000 pindle runs you have finally had every chance in theory. Of course you won't get your first 0.001% after exactly 10,000 tries. You need at least say 100 tries to balance the results out. thats 1 million pindle runs. No one is going to do that, even if Pindle wasn't nerfed.

4. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Once again, MF has nothing to do with the quality of the item you find (normal, exceptional or elite), it increases its chances to be magical, rare, set, or unique.

So, if you're finding a lot of crappy set and uniques, MF is working fine, and you're just unlucky.

5. hv)pheonix

hv)pheonix IncGamers Member

i wanna know how u can tell cause its all luck anyway

6. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Hey all - I play SP and don't have a lot of good equipment, but I can salvage around 375, is that enough to qualify her as a good MF'ing character?

7. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Of course it is luck, but it is also statistics. If you buy 1 ticket to the lottery or 100.000 tickets, you need luck in both cases, but your chances are obviously not the same. More MF means better drops.

375 is good. It is generally considered that 300 MF is the most cost efficient (a good MF level without too many sacrifices for the other stats). Above that limit, the effect of each additional MF point is quickly decreasing. But the more the better, if your character is not too weak (mine has 800% MF).

Good luck

8. shpana

shpana IncGamers Member

It's all luck.

9. Amnesiac249

Amnesiac249 IncGamers Member

I did a bunch of meph runs with about twenty mf when I still had basically no mf equiptment, and I was finding a lot more than my friends. One run he dropped 4 uniques. Seems like meph at least has a good enough chance to drop stuff that while mf surely helps, it isn't completely necessary. Stuff like pit and pindle runs are probably a lot more efficient with high mf though.

10. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

I found Jalal's Mane twice in Hell Flayer Jungle over 3 runs yesterday with 111% MF. Not to mention the numerous elite uniques and runes I found there over time, very underrated MF area, and by the way, cap your MF at 350 and get better power gear, 350 is the most you will need IMO. If you have a Strafezon with some MF gear, Flayer Jungle is like heavan, though I was using my LS zon yesterday.

11. [C.A.P]NoKturnaL

[C.A.P]NoKturnaL IncGamers Member

I do Flayer with my IK Barb most of the time and he has about 150MF. Found 2 Ko's yesterday and Titans. Pretty good IMO.

12. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Usually when I make mf chars, I don't sacrifice killing power for mf. If you can get 250 or so mf and kill quite well, You're cased imo.

13. conan

conan IncGamers Member

Theoretically, if you throw a pair of dice you could throw them a trillion times and NEVER get a 7, but mathematically you have the best chance to throw a 7 every time. It seems that Consensus is: Wear the maximum Mf you can while maintaining killing speed and survivability, then kill meph a million times.

dont fall for newb superstition about a "perfect mf%" or that more than 400% mf is BAD, or less than 200% is good thats simply moronic, the more MF% you have the better but NOT if it slows you down or gets you killed, Think about it, if say the annihilus charm could drop with 5,000% mf it would be the most sought after item in the game bar none, even more than now. Why?? because even the most know it all or the most ignorant of us in this game would instinctively on some level believe that MORE IS BETTER, and in this case it is, with reservations of course.

I have a Nova/orb Sorc with the best gear in the game, best charms near Perf annihilus, 700%Mf yadda yadda, but i rarely use her, because my Zon with 400 mf can kill a lot faster ane more reliably in 1.10 so I pick her most of the time. I once did over 270 hell Pit runs pretty consecutively and found a lot of awesome items, but it took over 2 days and a lot of caffiene. I wouldnt reccomend this to anyone, but the rewards were awesome (Game Wise)

Everyone has anecdotal stories to prove that this theory or that theory is right, bottom line is you have to kill Billions of monsters to get rich in this game, lots of mf% just makes it easier=)

14. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

There isn't a perfect MF, but you don't need more than about 350 really, don't stress out about how to get more MF gear if you have about 250-350 MF, it really isn't that big of a deal. I'm hardly a newb, had the game since 4 days after classic came out, and know the game well (at least PvM). What I've found with 111% MF is incredible, I'm amused by the people who get so consumed with having 1000+ MF and don't get anything they really want.

15. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

I've noticed a drop in elite uniques/sets since I moved from 100%mf ish to 468%
    I did about 50 runs in both, and I know that is a pretty small number to compare, but I notice when I get around 10 elite uniques with the 100 mf, and then I get zero(0) with the higher magic find, and the runs took the same ammount of time, so no killing power was sacrificed. It just seems very very weird to me, in one run with the high mf meph even dropped 4 extremely low level set items all at once o_O and another one was just two piles of gold, I haven't seen even a normal or magical elite item drop out of him since I got higher mf.
    Im pretty sure I will go back to 100%

16. Daevren

Daevren IncGamers Member

Hahaha.

MF increases magical items drop, not elite item drop. If you turn back to 100% you would probably see white elites fall again, turn of luck, not enough MF to get magical, rares, sets and uniques.

Good luck...

17. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

If you're not satisfied with Conan's very accurate explanations, why don't you guys read the MF Guide in the Strategy Compendium? It would help you, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
    http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/magic-find.shtml

If they managed to reach 1000 MF, they must have found at least a few nice items (Tal Rasha, War Travs, etc).
    That was me being a smart-***.

18. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

Lol, you do have a good point there, and I didn't take that as anything negative

19. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

well i think you are one lucky bastard....

some people have been running pindle for 5k-10k times without seing any IKSC.
    Even finding 2 crappy sets within 15 runs is lucky now in 1.10 when he doesnt drop that much sets/uniques, getting both as Sacred Armor is close to impossible :scratch:

well lucky you i guess... :)

20. vevi

vevi IncGamers Member

My MF experience

I was doing a ton of meph runs and once i got my mf up over 500, I found that I stopped getting any decent drops.

So i ditched my dual ist baba, and continued and since have found 2 ss, 3 skulders, shako, dracules, raven, and much more

Not sure if this is just a fluke, but its what ive seen

V