Amount of characters per account?

blackbisket

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Amount of characters per account?

i would be more than happy if they took out the respec option

One of the many reasons for adding respec is to lower the # of characters ull need to manage (cool I dont need to make 10 barbs to try alot og builds). Their r many more thought, pll click the wrong shill or double click a skill that F their build (they dont need too delete the toon add start over). The less characters made the more items to go around, better economy in D3, ect...

Why the hell do you thing it needs to be removed:banghead:

FriskyDingo

Diabloii.Net Member

One of the many reasons for adding respec is to lower the # of characters ull need to manage (cool I dont need to make 10 barbs to try alot og builds). Their r many more thought, pll click the wrong shill or double click a skill that F their build (they dont need too delete the toon add start over). The less characters made the more items to go around, better economy in D3, ect...

Very common misconception going around.

Bashiok and the devs have stated many times over the respecing in Diablo3 is not ment to rebuild a character (ex: Going from summon necro to poison nova)
It is ment to correct mistakes you made in your build (Ex: Putting two points into teleport)
You'll need to make a new character if youre making a new build

Monster

Diabloii.Net Member

You'll need to make a new character if youre making a new build

Even that statement is just blowing smoke. Nobody knows the full extent of character respecs yet.

However, if they're putting respecs in the game, you would assume we'd be granted at least one full respec per character. Meaning that yes, we could fully rebuild a character.

But again, the system has yet to be fully revealed, and is likely still going through iteration.

FriskyDingo

Diabloii.Net Member

Even that statement is just blowing smoke. Nobody knows the full extent of character respecs yet.

However, if they're putting respecs in the game, you would assume we'd be granted at least one full respec per character. Meaning that yes, we could fully rebuild a character.

But again, the system has yet to be fully revealed, and is likely still going through iteration.
Bashioks own words said that if you make a mistake with a barbarian's skills you can correct it with a respec but if youre going to go a totaly different build you will need to make a new character..
Respects are very costly, rare and valuable and are not full skill resets

mwhighlander

Diabloii.Net Member

Bashioks own words said that if you make a mistake with a barbarian's skills you can correct it with a respec but if youre going to go a totaly different build you will need to make a new character..
Listen to Frisky, he knows.

Also I don't believe they are setting any specific restrictions on number per account.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i dont think i ever said it needs to be removed, i was just commenting that i will never respec so i could care less if they remove it. more items to go around? by endless running i assume is what you mean. you think the economy being flooded with items makes it better? personally i rather group with people while playing the game, you know the story, i am not one of those people who buys a game only to enjoy 3% of it

Monster

Diabloii.Net Member

And just because Bashiok mentioned this a year ago(or whenever), that doesn't mean that's what we'll see in the final game.

He's a PR guy, not a game dev.

Ninyu

Diabloii.Net Member

Depending on how important skill runes are I could see how if Blizzard allowed full respecs players could shoot themselves in the foot and render their characters ineffective. It would suck to respec to a new build but not have the skill runes for your new skills and not be able to fight anything at your level. That would be bad design-wise since most players aren't going to use build calculators or research new builds beforehand. They are just going to hit the respec button and then realize they can't kill anything anymore until they acquire new skill runes through trade or what have you.

Monster

Diabloii.Net Member

Now this is just a shot in the dark here, but I would assume people would have at least SOME foresight before doing a complete respec.

I played WoW for a few years, and never once did I just "on a whim" do a full respec without some sort of planning for my new spec.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

gotta agree. if someone respecs fully without knowing what they are gonna respec to then thats their own fault

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

Why does it need to be essential to everyone who plays? I'm sure you'll find a person playing the game once with one character through normal, and that's it. Doesn't mean anything.
The game supposedly prides on replayability and lots of possible character builds and customization. 5 characters, 2 sexes and assumingly at least 3 very different main and viable ways to develop each character (as it was designed with 3 different skill trees in mind). That's already 30. So how on earth could you justify a number half of what the game is supposed to offer? Makes no sense whatsoever. In fact, i convinced myself so much i'm going to up it to 30 minimum character slots. Even though i'll probably land on about 15-20 actual characters.
I'm just saying that the word "essential" is overboard. It's sounds more like a little kid crying that he "needs" a candy bar. Kids don't need candy and it's not essential to have 30 characters. You want it. Like a kid in a candy store.

The candy analogy works well her too because it's a treat, extra, not necessary. If you want it bad enough then why not add more character slots with micro transactions?

I know that you don't want to pay more, but micro transactions will never take off if it's only for things that no one wants.

Doppel

Banned

I'm just saying that the word "essential" is overboard. It's sounds more like a little kid crying that he "needs" a candy bar. Kids don't need candy and it's not essential to have 30 characters. You want it. Like a kid in a candy store.

The candy analogy works well her too because it's a treat, extra, not necessary. If you want it bad enough then why not add more character slots with micro transactions?

I know that you don't want to pay more, but micro transactions will never take off if it's only for things that no one wants.
The candy bar analogy fails.
You see, if i buy a candy bar then the i expects to actually get a candy bar.
If i buy Twix then i expect to see two candy bars. If i buy Snickers i expect to find more then one peanut.

If i buy Diablo 3 then i expect to get the means of making and storing a certain amount of characters. If that amount is lower then the amount of characters i could hypothetically see myself make and store then i've got a valid point in wanting to have more character slots, certainly considering the amount of characters i could make and store in Diablo 2.

And why would i give a **** whether micro transaction take off or not, wtf lol?

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

That number isn't given.

I guess to continue the candy, it's like buying a jar of jelly beans with no label on it. How do we know the amount we should be buying unless we're told?

With D3, we aren't told. You can expect any number you want--others may expect different, and it'll all be an equal chance. To assume something and be upset when it's different is just plain wrong.

You can toy with the idea, give your reasons about why you think about it, but don't for a minute think you're obligated a certain number past 1. Until we get any info at all, we have only speculation, and that isn't enough to claim that they are liars.

Besides, the amount you can make doesn't hold any water. I can make an infinite amount of chars, and seemingly infinite amount of builds or variations. That doesn't mean I should get a definite unlimited store of them, or my own yottabyte of chars even though I could do it.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i guess the point is to to see what most people think is a good number. asking for 40 is a bit extreme but asking for 10 is far too little. i really think the number of 15 is a good starting point since you can have 3 of each char. i would like to see the number increase to 20/21 in an xpac assuming they add 2 new classes

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

The candy bar analogy fails.
You see, if i buy a candy bar then the i expects to actually get a candy bar.
If i buy Twix then i expect to see two candy bars. If i buy Snickers i expect to find more then one peanut.

If i buy Diablo 3 then i expect to get the means of making and storing a certain amount of characters. If that amount is lower then the amount of characters i could hypothetically see myself make and store then i've got a valid point in wanting to have more character slots, certainly considering the amount of characters i could make and store in Diablo 2.

And why would i give a **** whether micro transaction take off or not, wtf lol?
Exactly. You expect that because that's what the product is. If D3 lists on the box that you get 5 characters per account then that's what you get. If you want more you either buy another copy or micro transactions or whatever.

Whether you care about micro transactions or not isn't the point. You want Blizzard to do something. They want to make money. You can request them to do things that destroy their business model but you're unlikely to get them. Which is why you should at least take them into account. Whether you personally care about them or not.

You also need to consider the point of view of other customers. You might consider this make or break (though I'd guess you're even exaggerating there) but if it's not going to upset many customers then it's not a big issue to Blizzard. Plus if there are people who are so interested in getting extra characters to the point where they'll buy more than one copy of the game then that is even more reason for them to limit characters per account.

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Besides, the amount you can make doesn't hold any water. I can make an infinite amount of chars, and seemingly infinite amount of builds or variations. That doesn't mean I should get a definite unlimited store of them, or my own yottabyte of chars even though I could do it.
*shivers* yottabyte storage :crazyeyes: ugh Sass stop giving me nightmares. You know in the future i might one day have to add that to the storage of a server. :weep:

That said the storage of a single player character file in diablo 2 is about 3KB the map file is 1KB the various MA0,MA1,MA2 and MA3 files usually go higher the largest i have now when i checked my save folder is 113KB while the key files are 2KB.

Most likely the diablo 3 file structure will be somewhat tweaked but i hazard a guess and say they wont extend 5MB combined.

Blizzard will most likely have space enough for all players to have upward 30 character slots but i doubt they include the option to have that many.

10-15 is my guess

FriskyDingo

Diabloii.Net Member

And respecs are intended to be pretty rare/valuable.
-Bashiok

There will almost definitely be some sort of system to respec; however, it isn't likely to be as liberal as World of Warcraft. We don't want to lock a player into a system that punishes them for mistakes, experimenting, or lack of knowledge early on in the game. We also don't think a system that allows immediate, complete, and at-a-whim changes to a character spec matches the feel of Diablo. It's likely to be somewhere in between.

That said we still feel like the desire to play the same class again that you may have played before is still a part of the game, and with some ability to respec could potentially require other incentives.
-Bashiok
Bashiok:For Diablo III we don’t have it really nailed down yet but some of the main points we do want to hit are that it’s more than just a gold cost for changing your mind. Although that will be a major component of it. That it’s targeted for specific skills so you’re not resetting your entire skill tree, but you’re able to target specific skills to reset those ones specifically. To also scale the cost of respecing so early on in the game it’s cheaper and easier to respec and as you go farther into the game it will be harder and more expensive. And all of those things together make it a very challenging system to implement, hitting all of those notes. And those are all pie in the sky, I guess, hopefuls for the respec system we may not get all of them in. We don’t have any specifics on what the actual respec system will have but those are sort of what we’re shooting for and of course it’s all up in the air still.

Zarhym: Right but the same basic goal is you want to make sure that players aren't locked down from the very beginning and there's no going back unless they choose to recreate the character. But give them some outlet to change it up.
Bashiok: Right, exactly.
Another quote by Bashiok that I can not find at all..
He once said that you can tweak a Whirlwind barbarians skill through respeccing but still be whirlwind.. but if you want to go from a Whirlwind build to a Slam build (I think he said slam) then you were much better off remaking your character from scratch

As I said, 10 characters are nowhere near enough and Respeccing is not going to be a complete and easy wipe as it is in WoW

Sicom

Diabloii.Net Member

-Bashiok

-Bashiok

Another quote by Bashiok that I can not find at all..
He once said that you can tweak a Whirlwind barbarians skill through respeccing but still be whirlwind.. but if you want to go from a Whirlwind build to a Slam build (I think he said slam) then you were much better off remaking your character from scratch

As I said, 10 characters are nowhere near enough and Respeccing is not going to be a complete and easy wipe as it is in WoW
Thank you. I faintly remembered Blizzard saying those things. I'm glad they at least have more sensibility than many of the posters here. Hopefully they don't forget that, and we won't have such ridiculous limitations on the amount of characters we create. It amazes me how ready people are to jump at the opportunity to undermine themselves.