Amount of characters per account?

Arbedark

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Amount of characters per account?

If a toon dies in HC, that's final. No point in keeping permadead toons, so best to delete them and start over.
I beg to differ.

Keeping a dead HC character is a type of Trophy.

Anyway, as to number of characters, I'm guessing it will be 8 per account, but I'm really hoping it's more.

For a start I'll be wanting to do:

5 Males+ (1 of each class + variations)
5 Females+ (1 of each class + variations)
5+ Low Level Duelers
2-3 Hardcore Characters
And some "wacky" builds

So that's 18+ slot's that I'd want, at a minimum. If the maximum number allowed is a lot lower then I'm going to have to reconsider a lot of what I want to do in D3.

And this is assuming that we have unlimited item storage. If we need to mule items at all then this number will go up considerably.

Then there's expansion classes to think about.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i gotta agree with arbedark, when i make a hc char he stays with me forever.

Thrakhath

Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed 100% with wolfpaq's point - I played D2 mainly on LAN and char storage was unlimited, so a low limit now would really irritate me. Why can't I store characters on my own machine, negating the need for server space anyway?

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

It would be nice if the cap was something like this:
Starting 8 character cap.
Each character that you have with more than 5 (maybe 10 or higher) hours of play time no longer counts towards the cap.
Over time you can work on lots of characters and accumulate characters that you have played. Characters don't require much storage space so this wouldn't be any significant burden on Blizzards' servers.

An unreasonably large Diablo 2 character file was 10kB, and I don't see any reason why Diablo 3 character files would be any larger. Even with 10 Million players each with 200 characters (1000 hours of playtime dedicated to creating new characters every 5 hours), each with a 10kB character file, you only have 20TB of data. Spread this across 5+ realms and you have only two hard drives per realm (plus multiple redundancy). Of course, Blizzard wouldn't really use large storage drives as they will need to host lots of random access operations so they would likely use large redundant arrays of SSD's, but it shows that the data volumes are not unreasonable.

The only requirement for this somewhat unlimited character count would be that character names do not have to be realm-unique. This requirement isn't restrictive as it would be a positive change from Diablo 2.

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

Also, having to pay via microtransactions for more character slots goes against what Blizzard promised not to do. So i really hope this isn't going to be the case as i refuse to pay extra for essential game features. (i don't care about purely artificial ones)
How is unlimited character slots an "essential game feature"? It seems like the exact opposite to me. It's something that isn't necessary and only a convenience for people who don't want to delete/respec characters. You can still complete the game multiple times without it. You can access all the content. There is nothing essential being denied at all.

i can see bliz starting low and selling additional spots. not a big fan of that, i rather pay a small monthly fee for server maintaince. in the end it would cost me more but i would feel less cheated. probably does not make sense to most people just the way i feel
To me micro transactions are way better. For all of the people who really want 20 characters then they can pay for the added features. For all the people who just play casually they get by with the minimum price. I'd much rather see a "pay for what you use" model then a "everyone pays and a small percentage use the most resources" model.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i can deal with that zeek with in reason. for instance if they only offer 5 slots then charge for more i will think its a complete rip off. however say they offer 15 slots and then charge for more i would fully understand. hell even 12, 2 per char plus 2 bonus slots

GoldenBird

Diabloii.Net Member

I would be really annoyed if they gave us a low amount and added transactions to get more. I like replaying the actual game's content with different play styles and builds, not just respeccing to a different build when you get to a high level. And so I would need more than one of each character to do that. There's really no point in respeccing end-game because there's nothing else to play unless you play PVP (and not everyone likes PVP).

As for the micro transactions, I think that would completely turn me off for something like character slots. D3 is not a mmo, it doesn't have promise of constant GMs or server repairs or anything. If I want to spend money like that on a game then I'll go for something bigger and better.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i dont think i will ever use the respec option thats why i want alot of slots. only possible reason i can see me ever going for a respec is if a patch completely destroys my build

blackbisket

Diabloii.Net Member

If a toon dies in HC, that's final. No point in keeping permadead toons, so best to delete them and start over.
You will still need to spots to create them, though unlocking HC mode may unlock these spots?

Doppel

Banned

@ Zeek: I never demanded for unlimited character slots, that'd be silly as one hundred thousand million billion trillion kazillion is still not near unlimited.
A sufficient amount of character slots is an essential feature, certainly in a Diablo game.
I ask for a reasonable minimum amount of character slots, 20 to me would be the absolute bare minimum. If they're going to charge for more character slots i will feel ripped off.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

You do get an unlimited number with the game--SP.

The character limit discussed here is a Battle.Net feature, not a Diablo 3 feature.

More to the point though, I'd like 10-15 ish. I get the dual gender (not doing it, but I could) + wacky builds / doing that while testing. I'll ultimately have 1 pvp of all, 1 pvm of all and 5 misc.

Doppel

Banned

5 misc doesn't sound like a lot Sass. That's only 1 wacky build of every character.
15 is a really uncomfortably low number imo.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

The amount of viable, random misc builds will be low.

Besides, 15 is just what I'd use. Even my SP files are rarely bogged down. More would be nice, but it's not something I need.

Regarding the 5 misc: there's not much to vary at this point. I'd have a tank barb, a berserker, a bomber WD, a summoner, not much to go on for Monk or 5th, and maybe the rest full of different element Wiz. Add in the 5 pvp I'll have, and I'm sitting on 15 chars.

Doppel

Banned

That doesn't sound very comfortable then does it? I mean, say you have your 15 characters, don't you want extra spare slots in the case you'd like to make 1 more character?

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

It's comfortable to me. If I was confined to 15 and wanted another, I'd get rid of a build I'm bored with on a class I rarely play or just straight dislike. If I had more, I'd use it, but it isn't a personal concern.

Doppel

Banned

Ok, how many characters slots could you see yourself fill up then, hypothetically speaking?

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

when D2 launched i wanted 15 min and got 8. i wanted 1 of each character going heavy in each skill tree. of course some of that did not really work out since only the sorc go so 100% in all 3 trees if she wanted too, the other 4 each had at least 1 tree that just would not work, at least for me

anyway i asked non stop for 15 every time a dev joined the chat but again we got 8. did they even up it in the xpac? i am worried we will only get 10 and the more i follow this thread the more i realize 20 should be the min

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll ultimately have 1 pvp of all, 1 pvm of all and 5 misc.
5 pvp are unknown until I experiment.

Barb pvm: tank.
WD pvm: fire bomber.
Wiz pvm: frost (Nova / Blizzard)
Monk pvm: DoT debuff (Exploding palm & Crippling wave (likely a PvP thing)). I should have enough skill points to use all the main attacks we've seen.
5th class pvm: depends, but if it has skills like Multi-arrow & Strafe, I'll use them.

Misc

Barb: reckless berserker.
WD: summoner with DoT
Wiz: lightning stunner (might be pvp)
Monk: DPS AoE
5th: elemental damage.