Amount of characters per account?

Doppel

Banned
Amount of character slots per account?

Simple question and i'm too lazy to go search for it. :coffee:

Anybody know or has an idea of how many character slots Blizzard intends to give us per account? I'm assuming we'll be given one account per player. (If that's wrong then, well, tell me, lol)

Personally i have this feeling we'll get eight or ten character slots, which isn't going to be near enough imo. (as i like making many different sort of characters, at one point i had more then ten different Barbarian iterations on D2)

Also give me your idea of how many character slots you'd roughly want and why.

Malaterre

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Amount of characters per account?

They have not announced anything concerning the number of slots at the moment. Those are details that are related to the business model, Battle.Net 2.0 and so on. All that has not been discusseed yet. Perhaps not even developped as they mentionned several time that the work on BN2.0 will come later in their development procedure.

Like you I think that we will have one account with a given number of slots. As far as I am concerned 8-10 would be largely enough. I also think that, if the number of slots is limited, we will have the possibility to buy additionnal slots with the online shop that will probably come with BN2.0 (hence a rather limited number at the beginning).

GrimDark

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Amount of character slots per account?

Simple question and i'm too lazy to go search for it. :coffee:

Anybody know or has an idea of how many character slots Blizzard intends to give us per account? I'm assuming we'll be given one account per player. (If that's wrong then, well, tell me, lol)

Personally i have this feeling we'll get eight or ten character slots, which isn't going to be near enough imo. (as i like making many different sort of characters, at one point i had more then ten different Barbarian iterations on D2)

Also give me your idea of how many character slots you'd roughly want and why.
Don't forget unlike Diablo 2, Diablo 3 has respecs allowing you to alter your character completely besides attributes, which are automatic now, and weapons. There is really no reason to have more characters allowed than 5 besides being different genders or redoing different acts with different skills,8 characters would probably be the best number.

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

My guess is 8 with micro transactions to buy more.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

there is plenty of reason to have more than 5 slots. for instance if i get 5 characters to level 80+ or whatever and i want to play the early acts with my friends i will not want to delete one of my high level characters so i make a new to join them. there is also the 1 of each sex like you mentioned. if the story/dialog at all changes based on the sex of the character i will play all 10. then there is the people who like different builds. respec wont be free i am sure and people will not want to pay over and over again to try out all the possible builds with all the characters.

i honestly think anything less than 10 is not enough. i hope they dont want to charge for additional character slots and instead give us min 10 to start with a hopefull number of 14-15. either way the xpac should add more available slots

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't forget unlike Diablo 2, Diablo 3 has respecs allowing you to alter your character completely besides attributes, which are automatic now, and weapons. There is really no reason to have more characters allowed than 5 besides being different genders or redoing different acts with different skills,8 characters would probably be the best number.
Respecs are a justification for many things, but character count is not one of them. The only real limitation to characters per account is server storage space. The reasons for starting new characters are many.

20-30 would be a good starting number. I don't think anyone will be a fan of having to delete their characters if they wanted to play through the game again, try LLD, keep their PvP and PvE characters separate, etc.

TheMythe

Diablo: IncGamers Member

I'm guessing (hoping) 1 account per CD-key. That means 1 male/female of each class. We can respec all our toons to improve or alter our builds. So more isn't needed theoretically. This also stops the muling and hoarding items, which will give the game a more unique feel because items in general will be less present overall and loss of good items will be felt more so the value of an item will be more appreciated.

GrimDark

Diabloii.Net Member

So the best number would be higher than it was in Diablo 2(which was 8) but nothing unreasonable, which i'm counting as over 24 so when expansions come out they do not need to update the game and add more spaces when people inevitably, and justifiably, complain over lack of character space upon receiving however many classes we get later.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

So the best number would be higher than it was in Diablo 2(which was 8) but nothing unreasonable, which i'm counting as over 24 so when expansions come out they do not need to update the game and add more spaces when people inevitably, and justifiably, complain over lack of character space upon receiving however many classes we get later.
so 20 sounds like a good number then

Doppel

Banned

Respecs is an invalid argument for having few character slots. Like i said, i had ten different and unique barbarian iterations at one time, and the reason is not because nine of them failed and needed to be remade, its because i like to make various fun character builds, certainly in a game like Diablo. I don't want to go through the hassle of having to pay and respec a character just because the game doesn't allow me to make more then ten characters. Making respecs free to use is a whole other problem i don't even want to think about.

Personally i would like at least 20 multiplayer character slots and depending on whether PvP will be made separate from PvE (which i think it will) another 10 PvP slots. Imo
Also, having to pay via microtransactions for more character slots goes against what Blizzard promised not to do. So i really hope this isn't going to be the case as i refuse to pay extra for essential game features. (i don't care about purely artificial ones)

GrimDark

Diabloii.Net Member

so 20 sounds like a good number then
Yeah 20 for each account is reasonable, i said 8 earlier because i have this bad feeling that the developers will give 8 and make you pay for any new character afterward. Blizzard has been trying to get unreasonable with RealID, no LAN etc. but i expect added classes with expansions, probably 3 classes, whether you start with those slots or they update the game is their choice.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i can see bliz starting low and selling additional spots. not a big fan of that, i rather pay a small monthly fee for server maintaince. in the end it would cost me more but i would feel less cheated. probably does not make sense to most people just the way i feel

Wolfpaq777

Any fewer than 20 would be an outrage, in my opinion. If Blizzard's taking away LAN play, then issues that wouldn't matter in LAN play should be taken care of.

FrenchToast

Diabloii.Net Member

I would say three times as many character classes in each given expansion, so the original D3 would have 15, and say we get two new classes in an expansion, then have it be 21 spots. Personally, I want 1 of each gender for every class, and then some room to play around with cool builds.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I want 1 of each gender for every class, and then some room to play around with cool builds.
pretty much exactly how i feel. limited character slots will only shorten the games life span for me. granted there is still alot of play time in 10ish characters but eventually i will run out of room and just stop

blackbisket

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm guessing (hoping) 1 account per CD-key. That means 1 male/female of each class. We can respec all our toons to improve or alter our builds. So more isn't needed theoretically. This also stops the muling and hoarding items, which will give the game a more unique feel because items in general will be less present overall and loss of good items will be felt more so the value of an item will be more appreciated.
Ok, that may cover the classes but what about hardcore mode? So in thinking at least 12+

Last edited:

lone_wolf

hum lets see when vi played d2 at most i had in single player 4 sorcs, 3 pally, 3 necro, 2 ama, 3 sin, 4 barb, 3 druid. so 22 characters. During the time i played diablo 2 i have made over +100 characters. Lets say a player wants to try out 1 version of each class of either gender that is 10 slots directly, in diablo 2 i could make a sniperzon, a multi zon, a daggerzon, a poison zon, a strafer, a FA zon and a Lightning zon without even having to stop and think about various builds.

that is 7 builds out of 7 main skills of 1 character class.

If diablo 3 is anywhere near this versatile most of us could easily have 4-6 different variants of each character class so basically min 20 slots because it could be much more then that in the end.

ThulRasha

1. Comparing to wow (since wow has big shoulderpads too): 50
2. Comparing to sc2 (also using bnet2): 1 + 3 guest = 4
3. One of each class since there will be respecs: 5
4. Comparing to d2: 8

Now what will Blizzard think is reasonable for D3? Anyones guess up to now.

TheMythe

Ok, that may cover the classes but what about hardcore mode? So in thinking at least 12+

If a toon dies in HC, that's final. No point in keeping permadead toons, so best to delete them and start over.

Valhauros

Diabloii.Net Member

Having since the start 4 or 5 character slots per class could strain servers, so I think having 1 character slot per character class (5 total) at the beginning and then, every time you finish the acts with a character, another 5 slots open, up to 4 character slots per class (20 total). Then, you can buy another tier of slots (1 x Class, 5 Total) for, I don't know, €5 perhaps?